cpu temp 85oC!!

  • erny_byaru
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
      hi geeks,

      today, my inspiron 4150 had its two fans at full zoom for about 3
      hours. instead of reducing, the temperature was actually increasing
      (according to the reading shown on the i8kmmon applet), the reading
      actually reached 85 deg Celcius, and i had to cold boot asap!!!

      I got scared because i was listening to mp3's (Michael Jackson's man
      in the mirror ;-) and all of a sudden, it sounded like a dead cd
      (yet this was teh hard disk).

      though this has never happened before, has anyone else experienced
      it?

      what do u think was the problem?

      cheers

      erny
    • Adrian Buss
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
        Stop listening to Michael Jackson and the problem will go away... I am
        almost sure of it. :)

        Adrian

        On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, erny_byaru wrote:

        > hi geeks,
        >
        > today, my inspiron 4150 had its two fans at full zoom for about 3
        > hours. instead of reducing, the temperature was actually increasing
        > (according to the reading shown on the i8kmmon applet), the reading
        > actually reached 85 deg Celcius, and i had to cold boot asap!!!
        >
        > I got scared because i was listening to mp3's (Michael Jackson's man
        > in the mirror ;-) and all of a sudden, it sounded like a dead cd
        > (yet this was teh hard disk).
        >
        > though this has never happened before, has anyone else experienced
        > it?
        >
        > what do u think was the problem?
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > erny

        Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
        CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority http://www.cira.ca
        350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
        Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@...
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Buss
          <adrian.buss@c...> wrote:

          > Stop listening to Michael Jackson and the problem will go away... I
          am
          > almost sure of it. :)

          I concur. Though I must say that I think my body temperature would
          have to be about 85C for Michael Jackson mp3's to sound like a Dead
          CD...

          Anyway, if turning off the Michael Jackson and putting in a real Dead
          CD doesn't mellow your computer out a bit, try fn-z to tell the bios
          to reread the cpu temperature.

          cheers,

          Kevin

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > --
          > Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
          > CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
          http://www.cira.ca
          > 350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
          > Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@c...
        • erny_byaru
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
            [...]

            > try fn-z to tell the bios
            > to reread the cpu temperature.

            which file must i edit to set the realm and hysteresis temperature
            values for the fans?

            erny
          • Kevin
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "erny_byaru"
              <erny_byaru@y...> wrote:
              > [...]
              >
              > > try fn-z to tell the bios
              > > to reread the cpu temperature.
              >
              > which file must i edit to set the realm and hysteresis temperature
              > values for the fans?
              >
              > erny

              Hi Erny,

              According to the man page (man i8kmon), it appears you want to create
              a file /etc/i8kmon or ~/.i8kmon and put the configuration lines in
              that. If your cpu temperature reads 85C (cat /proc/i8k), then your
              problem is not with the temperature ranges of i8kmon, though.

              Cheers,

              Kevin

              ----------

              CONFIGURATION
              The program has builtin defaults and temperature thresholds but
              users can specify their own settings in configuration files
              /etc/i8kmon and ~/.i8kmon. The daemon defines 4 states with different
              fan speeds ({0 0}, {1 0}, {1 1}, {2 2}) and for each state are
              defined the temperature thresholds which cause the switching to a
              higher or lower state. Furthermore each state can have different
              thresholds for operation on ac power or battery. For example the
              following configuration:

              set config(0) {{0 0} -1 60 -1 65}
              set config(1) {{1 0} 50 70 55 75}
              set config(2) {{1 1} 60 80 65 85}
              set config(3) {{2 2} 70 128 75 128}

              defines state 0 with both fans off, high threshold of 60 degrees (65
              on battery) and low threshold -1, which is actually never reached
              since 0 is the lowest state. When the high threshold is reached the
              program switches to state 1 (left low, right off) which has a high
              threshold of 70 degrees and a low threshold of 48 degrees. If the
              temperature drops below 48 the program will switch back to state 0,
              if it rises above 70 it will enter state 2, and so on. For better
              operation the temperature ranges should be overlapping with an
              hysteresis of at least 10 degree, i.e. 1={50 70},2={60 80} is better
              than 1={50 70},2={70 80}. It must be rembered that the low
              threshold of state 0 must be -1 and the high threshold of state 3
              must be 128.

              If your laptop has only one fan you should specify a'-' instead of
              the fan speed of the missing fan, for example:

              set config(2) {{1 -} 60 80 65 85}