I8200 + RH8/9 + nVidia GeForce 440 Go (again)

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
      The story so far: I had been using driver version 4363 with Red Hat 8
      quite successfully, meaning suspend-to-ram/resume was working okay.
      (See <http://kristol.org/david/dell-i8200/i8200.html>.) I was unable
      to use 4496 with RH8 for some reason. (4496 supposedly handles s2r
      correctly, but it didn't for me in RH8.) However, when I upgraded to
      RH9, I tried nVidia 4496, and it seemed to work.

      After using it for a month or so, I've abandoned 4496 and returned to
      the hacked 4363 version. My experience was that my machine would
      refuse to resume successfully after a couple of days of use (many
      suspends/resumes), and I would have to reboot. (The machine would
      come on, but, after several flashes, the screen would remain dark.
      And the network connection seemed to be down, so I could not ssh to
      it.) I never had that problem with 4363. I didn't see any
      information in /var/log/messages that might suggest what's going wrong.

      As always, YMMV, but I recommend staying with 4363.

      Dave Kristol
    • bascule_the_fule
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
        <dmk-yahoo@k...> wrote:
        > As always, YMMV, but I recommend staying with 4363.

        FWIW, I've had to roll back on my desktop, as the X server was
        crashing when
        I logged out.

        Sean