[linux-dell-laptops] Re: How do I service start order?

  • eva
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      kingtafar-@... wrote:

      > While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
      > pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
      > change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest
      way
      > to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
      > editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
      > that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
      > lower its value so it is started before network.

      AFAIK, network services are *supposed* to start up before pcmcia. you
      will get a [FAILED] message indicating that eth0 initialization is
      being delayed, but this is not reason for concern. later, when pcmcia
      starts up, it should bring eth0 up along with it, if you have
      configured it correctly.

      i don't quite understand the logic behind why these services are set up
      that way, but i've read many a posting on comp.os.linux.portable by the
      maintainer of the PCMCIA-SERVICES package insisting that networking
      *should* start up before pcmcia. i have it set up that way on my
      redhat 6.0 system and it works fine. if you're tired of the [FAILED]
      message on boot, though, you can set ONBOOT="no" in
      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to stop the network scripts
      from attempting to bring it up.

      -> eva