[linux-dell-laptops] Re: How do I service start order?

  • kingtafari@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
      While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
      pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
      change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest way
      to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
      editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
      that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
      lower its value so it is started before network.

      Good Luck

      "terrence o'connor" <tjoconnor0-@...> wrote:
      =208
      > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
      > you can then add the following command at the end
      > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

    • eva
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        kingtafar-@... wrote:

        > While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
        > pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
        > change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest
        way
        > to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
        > editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
        > that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
        > lower its value so it is started before network.

        AFAIK, network services are *supposed* to start up before pcmcia. you
        will get a [FAILED] message indicating that eth0 initialization is
        being delayed, but this is not reason for concern. later, when pcmcia
        starts up, it should bring eth0 up along with it, if you have
        configured it correctly.

        i don't quite understand the logic behind why these services are set up
        that way, but i've read many a posting on comp.os.linux.portable by the
        maintainer of the PCMCIA-SERVICES package insisting that networking
        *should* start up before pcmcia. i have it set up that way on my
        redhat 6.0 system and it works fine. if you're tired of the [FAILED]
        message on boot, though, you can set ONBOOT="no" in
        /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to stop the network scripts
        from attempting to bring it up.

        -> eva