Turning off LCD on a Dell 5150

  • danblock1
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2003
      I was just wondering how I could turn off the lcd on a dell 5150. I
      can't get xset dpms force off to work. When I try xset s activate it
      only works for a second then goes back to xwindows. I'm not sure if I
      need apm support or not. Right now I only have acpi support compile
      into the kernel. The reason I would like to do this is because I will
      be writing acpi scripts for the computer. I would like the screen to
      blank when I close the lcd.

      Thanks,
      Dan Block
    • danblock1
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2003
        Ok I did some reading and I think it may either have to do with the
        Radeon driver and XFREE86 or acpi being enabled in the kernel. Is
        anyone else experiencing this problem?

        Dan
      • Achim Bohnet
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
          On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:16:19PM -0000, danblock1 wrote:
          > Ok I did some reading and I think it may either have to do with the
          > Radeon driver and XFREE86 or acpi being enabled in the kernel. Is
          > anyone else experiencing this problem?

          Yes, in the past ;)

          acpi installd, Lid close, LCD not off:
          Install acpid an what see button/lid events in
          the /var/log/acpid. Google for radeontool to turn backlight
          on and off (works on my D600m). In the web you'll find how to
          use radeontool and acpid.

          XDPMS: xset force dpms off
          There's a patched Xfree4.3 radeon driver (already in CVS) that
          supports LCD backlight on/off. Google or check the D600
          tuxmobil pages it in there somewhere.
          The radeon_drv.o I found was build on mandrake but works also
          on debian here.

          Achim
        • deerlaser2000
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
            hi my name is keelen yanda and i am looking for a used laptop. do you
            know where i should go to get one? please e-mail me at
            deerlaser2000@... or kyanda@....
            thanks
            keelen
          • Achim Bohnet
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 12, 2003
              On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 12:58:11PM -0000, deerlaser2000 wrote:
              > hi my name is keelen yanda and i am looking for a used laptop. do you
              > know where i should go to get one? please e-mail me at
              > deerlaser2000@... or kyanda@....

              Sorry I've no idea. I got the laptop from my employer.

              Achim
              > thanks
              > keelen

            • gudavalli ramesh babu
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
                http://jaraganahallishivashankar.in/wp-content/fresh.php?orkeaglf709ci

                You don't have many suspects who are innocent of a crime. That's contradictory. If a person is innocent of a crime, then he is not a suspect. -- Edwin Meese III