Mysql first or perl???

  • erny_byaru
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi FRriendz,

      cheers 4 supporting dell ;-)

      i have been much of a WAN geek and now wnat to go into rdbms.

      of course, MySQL is first priority.

      I know that to make a good db admin, i need also some serverside
      knowledge, and evrybody advises Perl, or PhP.

      I will go with Perl.

      My questions are:

      1. Which one should I start with that will help me better understand
      and learn the other? MySQL or Perl?

      2. What other languages should i consider for a start and in what
      order should i study them?

      Regards,

      Ernest,.
    • Justin Ellison
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Ernest,

        I myself went to school for programming, graduated, and got a job as a
        network admin. 5 years of TCP/IP and I had forgotten most the
        programming I knew. Eventually, I had to re-learn programming to
        automate a lot of the things I do. I learned PHP, then MySQL, then
        Perl.
        If you have learned any programming language before, PHP is a snap to
        pick up. The best way to learn it is by setting something you can use.
        My favorite PHP and MySQL book is PHP & MySQL Web Development - ISBN:
        067232525X
        PHP and MySQL aren't that hard, but I had a hell of a time getting the
        initial learning curve of Perl done. It's highly efficient, and it has
        it's own "shorthand" that is hard to read if you know other languages
        but not Perl. Perl took me much longer than PHP and MySQL, but I use it
        more that either of the others. Get Learning Perl by OReilly and
        Associates, and see what you think - I had to read many things in that
        book a couple of times to get it down.

        HTH,

        On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 09:04, erny_byaru wrote:
        > Hi FRriendz,
        >
        > cheers 4 supporting dell ;-)
        >
        > i have been much of a WAN geek and now wnat to go into rdbms.
        >
        > of course, MySQL is first priority.
        >
        > I know that to make a good db admin, i need also some serverside
        > knowledge, and evrybody advises Perl, or PhP.
        >
        > I will go with Perl.
        >
        > My questions are:
        >
        > 1. Which one should I start with that will help me better understand
        > and learn the other? MySQL or Perl?
        >
        > 2. What other languages should i consider for a start and in what
        > order should i study them?
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Ernest,.

        Justin Ellison <justin@...>
      • Justin Georgeson
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          Learning one or the other first will not likely give you an increased
          understanding of the other. If you only want to do web frontends, PHP
          is very good at that, it's what it's meant for. Perl is an amazing
          language for text processing (a lot of other stuff too, but I think
          the code gets obfuscated too easily for other stuff). That said, if
          you first look at the language of choice, examining their modules for
          mysql development, you will be exposed to some of the basic concepts,
          but not really to SQL syntax or how to set up a MySQL database.

          One other thing to throw into the mix, is that even though MySQL is
          more prevalent for small web sites, it's not as standards compliant
          with the SQL standard as PostGreSQL. In practice I've this isn't too
          much of a problem unless you're using MySQL to develop something which
          is going to then be rolled out in Oracle. In this situation, I find
          starting with PostGreSQL is better. Something to think about.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "erny_byaru"
          <erny_byaru@y...> wrote:
          > Hi FRriendz,
          >
          > cheers 4 supporting dell ;-)
          >
          > i have been much of a WAN geek and now wnat to go into rdbms.
          >
          > of course, MySQL is first priority.
          >
          > I know that to make a good db admin, i need also some serverside
          > knowledge, and evrybody advises Perl, or PhP.
          >
          > I will go with Perl.
          >
          > My questions are:
          >
          > 1. Which one should I start with that will help me better understand
          > and learn the other? MySQL or Perl?
          >
          > 2. What other languages should i consider for a start and in what
          > order should i study them?
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Ernest,.
        • erny byaru
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
            Hi Justin and All,

            Thanks for your guidance on this. However, my tasks so
            far ahead for my organisation are:

            1. Setting up a member directory database
            2. Keeping track of the resources of these members.
            3. Putting up a web interface for the two above.

            I now gather that PHP is then easier to decipher and
            work with than Perl, Good. Then - should I start with
            learning PHP or MySQL? Will learning MySQL first give
            me a better understanding of PHP or the reverse?

            Giving PostGreSQL a thought, i think i'll not bother
            with it as all bosses here want MySQL driven
            databases.

            [...]

            > If you only want to do
            > web frontends, PHP
            > is very good at that, it's what it's meant for.

            I will take that advice. What books are recommended?

            Ernest.

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Josh Knox
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
              Just my experience but I'd recommend trying to learn them both together.
              Many functions for interfacing with MySQL are included within PHP and
              many books on the topic cover how to use them together.

              The basics of each are easy to pick up. Set up and configuration is
              another story but if your web server has both enabled then just try a
              few PHP scripts and use whatever interface you have for mySQL to create,
              search, sort, modify a couple database tables. Webmin is good for this
              and many other things.

              Once you see how they both work you'll be programming interactive web
              sites and database frontends in no time.

              It took me about a week of figuring stuff out before I was cranking out
              code. Sure beats the c++ learning curve.

              Or the MySQL stuff I got a book called "Core MySQL". I read through
              "Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours" to get a look at PHP. Easy reading with
              alot of clear examples. Of course for those really annoying problems you
              run into there's a bunh of forums out there that deal with this stuff.
              I found sitepoint.com forums to be quite helpful.

              Good Luck!

              Josh

              On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 14:37, erny byaru wrote:
              > Hi Justin and All,
              >
              > Thanks for your guidance on this. However, my tasks so
              > far ahead for my organisation are:
              >
              > 1. Setting up a member directory database
              > 2. Keeping track of the resources of these members.
              > 3. Putting up a web interface for the two above.
              >
              > I now gather that PHP is then easier to decipher and
              > work with than Perl, Good. Then - should I start with
              > learning PHP or MySQL? Will learning MySQL first give
              > me a better understanding of PHP or the reverse?
              >
              > Giving PostGreSQL a thought, i think i'll not bother
              > with it as all bosses here want MySQL driven
              > databases.
              >
              > [...]
              >
              > > If you only want to do
              > > web frontends, PHP
              > > is very good at that, it's what it's meant for.
              >
              > I will take that advice. What books are recommended?
              >
              > Ernest.

              > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > click here

            • erny_byaru
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003

                [...]

                > Just my experience but I'd recommend trying to learn them both together.
                > Many functions for interfacing with MySQL are included within PHP and
                > many books on the topic cover how to use them together.

                That's what i was thinking about. Am still kind of confused though..
                especially about the best books.

                > The basics of each are easy to pick up. Set up and configuration is
                > another story but if your web server has both enabled then just try a
                > few PHP scripts and use whatever interface you have for mySQL to create,
                > search, sort, modify a couple database tables. Webmin is good for this
                > and many other things.

                I surely cannot fail if i get the best books... I have started so far
                with Sam's Teach Yourself MySQL but i find it is designed for SQL on
                windows, yet is the commonest book...

                > Once you see how they both work you'll be programming interactive web
                > sites and database frontends in no time.

                I sure cant wait to get to that level.. i could get a pay rise and a
                promotion if my project is successful..;-)

                [...]

                > Or the MySQL stuff I got a book called "Core MySQL". I read through
                > "Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours" to get a look at PHP.

                Core MySQL? I'll look for that one, but problem.. where? I hope e-mule
                can find it for me!!!

                Thx a bunch

                Ernest.