Problem starting wireless card after wake-up

  • aov22003
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hi everyone,

      One nettlesome problem I have is that when my Inspiron 4150 (running
      Redhat 9) wakes up after it was suspended in sleep mode, the wireless
      connection remains inactive and won't start up again. After wake-up,
      I go to the "Network Configuration" tool (Redhat menu > System
      Settings > Network), and click "activate" for my Wireless card (eth1),
      but instead of starting up my wireless card, I get the error:

      Determining IP information for eth1...
      SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
      SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

      Does anyone know what the above error means? Anyone know how to set
      the wireless card to startup after sleep mode? What are the Linux
      commands that will let me start-up/shut-down network devices from the
      command line?

      Best,

      Tony
    • Justin Georgeson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        I have the same problem on my latitude c400, I just eject the wireless
        card and re-insert it. This solution does, of course, assume your wifi
        card is a pcmcia card. If it's not, you might try unloading and

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "aov22003" <tonyvance@h...>
        wrote:
        > Hi everyone,
        >

        > One nettlesome problem I have is that when my Inspiron 4150 (running
        > Redhat 9) wakes up after it was suspended in sleep mode, the wireless
        > connection remains inactive and won't start up again. After wake-up,
        > I go to the "Network Configuration" tool (Redhat menu > System
        > Settings > Network), and click "activate" for my Wireless card (eth1),
        > but instead of starting up my wireless card, I get the error:
        >
        > Determining IP information for eth1...
        > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
        > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
        >
        > Does anyone know what the above error means? Anyone know how to set
        > the wireless card to startup after sleep mode? What are the Linux
        > commands that will let me start-up/shut-down network devices from the
        > command line?
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Tony
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >

          > One nettlesome problem I have is that when my Inspiron 4150 (running
          > Redhat 9) wakes up after it was suspended in sleep mode, the wireless
          > connection remains inactive and won't start up again. After wake-up,
          > I go to the "Network Configuration" tool (Redhat menu > System
          > Settings > Network), and click "activate" for my Wireless card (eth1),
          > but instead of starting up my wireless card, I get the error:
          >
          > Determining IP information for eth1...
          > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
          > SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device
          >
          > Does anyone know what the above error means? Anyone know how to set
          > the wireless card to startup after sleep mode? What are the Linux
          > commands that will let me start-up/shut-down network devices from the
          > command line?

          I fully expect people to chime in with, "But it works for me!" I
          can't comment specifically on an I4150, but I had similar problems
          with an I8200 and RH 8/9. I had to diddle the APM scripts to resolve
          the problem. (Just curious: are you using DHCP to get your eth1
          address, or is it static? Mini-PCI interface or PCMCIA?)

          I wrote up my I8200 experiences at
          <http://kristol.org/david/dell-i8200/i8200.html>, in particular the
          changes I made to the APM scripts. It's possible some information
          there will help.

          Dave Kristol
        • aov22003
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
            Hi Dave, everyone,

            I have the internal mini-PCI "Dell TrueMobile 1150" wireless card, and
            I use DHCP to get an IP address for eth1 (my wireless card).

            Thanks for the info so far!

            Best,

            Tony

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"