Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: MBR problem/Dual Boot

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 16:30, astuermer2001 wrote:
      > Hello there,
      >
      > thanks to all replies so far. as i reinstalled linux (no update from
      > 8.0), i simply
      > accepted the default boot-loader option of GRUB.
      > I checked the status of my xp-partition with cfdisk and it was
      > initially a (visible)
      > ntfs partition (as it should be, correct?)
      > since i`ve played around with manually editing my /boot/grub/menu.lst
      > according to
      > what damien advised and what i'd seen in numerous other places on the
      > web. last
      > attempt was:
      > title windows
      > rootnoverify (hd0,1)
      > makeactive
      > chainloader +1
      > seemed to help, as now the booting of windows would start - but then
      > i get an error
      > "autocheck program not found" and boot terminates. cfdisk now tells
      > me the
      > xp-partition is a hidden ntfs and "bootable". just as i was about to
      > assume i?d have
      > to reinstall xp i found something on another group that seems to be
      > exactly the
      > problem i'm having:
      > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/1/2003/07/3/66137
      > apparantly the resolution was simply unhiding the partition with
      > cfdisk. my
      > question now is though: is that really a safe thing to do? read
      > somewhere else,
      > that might not be a good idea...
      > again, thanks for the help so far!
      > greetz,
      arne

      Unhiding the partition won't change the partition itself, but only set
      the 'hidden' flag in the mbr to off. It won't change the contents of the
      partition, or damage the mbr. I've used it many times on fat32 and ntfs
      partitions without any problems.

      If you are paranoid about causing a problem, you can backup your mbr(s).
      Use the dd program. For example, the command:
      dd if=/dev/hda of=backupofmbr_hda bs=512 count=1
      Will save the partition information to a file (backupofmbr_hda). You can
      save this file on a floppy or somewhere. You might also like to backup
      the mbr of /dev/hda1 (if windoze is on hda1) - just edit the command
      above.
      Then, play with cfdisk, make your changes and boot windows.
      If you don't like the changes, then restore the mbr as follows:
      dd if=backupofmbr_hda of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

      Have fun, and read man dd.

      Damien

      --

      Using Linux on the Inspiron 1100: