c400 external drive bay

  • Justin Georgeson
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
      Are there any utilities to connect/disconnect the external drive bay
      (for floppy, cd[r[w]], dvd) while the computer is running?
    • Brock Campbell
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
        In general, I believe that as long as you can dismount the drive, you
        are safe to remove it. That's what I do with my internal drives. Windows
        needs a utility to remove them, because it automounts everything it
        sees.

        On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 01:10, Justin Georgeson wrote:
        > Are there any utilities to connect/disconnect the external drive bay
        > (for floppy, cd[r[w]], dvd) while the computer is running?
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > Click Here!

        Brock Campbell
        -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
        --- Accelerated Technology ---
        -- brock@... (306)222-2259 --
        ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
      • Justin Georgeson
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
          Even if I have umount'ed the drive, when I disconnect the cable,
          /var/log/messages starts filling up with errors about the SCSI device
          timing out, and I have to reboot

          Sep 1 15:10:22 dragonfly kernel: scsi : aborting command due to
          timeout : pid 366848, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00
          00 00 00 00
          Sep 1 15:10:22 dragonfly kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 366848) timed
          out - resetting
          Sep 1 15:10:22 dragonfly kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
          channel 0.
          Sep 1 15:10:22 dragonfly kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid
          366848) timed out - trying harder
          Sep 1 15:10:22 dragonfly kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
          channel 0.

          When I plug in the cable after booting, nothing happens, I can put a
          cd drive in the bay, a cd in the drive, and then can't mount it, as
          the device does not exist.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
          wrote:
          > In general, I believe that as long as you can dismount the drive, you
          > are safe to remove it. That's what I do with my internal drives. Windows
          > needs a utility to remove them, because it automounts everything it
          > sees.
          >
          > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 01:10, Justin Georgeson wrote:
          > > Are there any utilities to connect/disconnect the external drive bay
          > > (for floppy, cd[r[w]], dvd) while the computer is running?
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > > Click Here!

          > Brock Campbell
          > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
          > --- Accelerated Technology ---
          > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
          > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
        • Justin Georgeson
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
            Forgot to check, what distribution of Linux are you using? And what
            laptop are you using it on? And lastly, how do you hotswap internal
            drives?

            wrote:
            > In general, I believe that as long as you can dismount the drive, you
            > are safe to remove it. That's what I do with my internal drives. Windows
            > needs a utility to remove them, because it automounts everything it
            > sees.
            >
            > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 01:10, Justin Georgeson wrote:
            > > Are there any utilities to connect/disconnect the external drive bay
            > > (for floppy, cd[r[w]], dvd) while the computer is running?
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > > Click Here!

            > Brock Campbell
            > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
            > --- Accelerated Technology ---
            > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
            > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
          • Brock Campbell
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
              Inspiron 4150, Gentoo and I guess I used the wrong term. I swap the
              expansion bay drive while running. Just make sure it's unmounted and pop
              it out.

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                Ah, your modular bay is part of the laptop itself, yes? Mine is not
                built into the laptop, it connects with a cable. I can't swap the
                drive in the bay without unplugging the cable from the back of the
                bay. I can't see why that would make a difference as the actual drives
                are likely the same for both laptops, but it is a glaring difference.
                Does Gentoo have a specific laptop configuration or utility set? I
                know Debian does, and if RedHat does, I'm not immediately aware of it.

                wrote:
                > Inspiron 4150, Gentoo and I guess I used the wrong term. I swap the
                > expansion bay drive while running. Just make sure it's unmounted and pop
                > it out.
                >
                > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 18:53, Justin Georgeson wrote:
                > > Forgot to check, what distribution of Linux are you using? And what
                > > laptop are you using it on? And lastly, how do you hotswap internal
                > > drives?
                > >
                > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > In general, I believe that as long as you can dismount the drive,
                > > you
                > > > are safe to remove it. That's what I do with my internal drives.
                > > Windows
                > > > needs a utility to remove them, because it automounts everything it
                > > > sees.

                > > bay

                > > Service.
                > > > --
                > > > Brock Campbell
                > > > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                > > > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                > > > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                > > > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                > >

                > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > > Click Here!

                > Brock Campbell
                > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
              • Brock Campbell
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                  What laptop are you using? Gentoo doesn't necessarily come with any
                  specific laptop utilities other than the usual klaptop and the i8kutils.
                  However with ~60,000 different packages in the latest gentoo tree, I'd
                  imagine a lot of them are laptop specific.

                  I do know that the modular bay on the 4150 is just another IDE channel.
                  what does your expansion drive show up as. is it an SDX or an HDX?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                    a latitude C400. I've just determined that the floppy works, it's just
                    the cd-rw drive that's not working. It's hdc if connected when I boot.
                    I found a few other occurences of people having trouble with the cd-rw
                    in a dell on the gentoo forums. I think there are two things not
                    happening: devfs is not creating an entry, and the modules aren't
                    being loaded. I tried loading cdrom and ide-cd, but it still says
                    /dev/hdc is not a valid block device. I also noticed in
                    /var/log/messages that modprobe 'Can't locate module block-major-22',
                    after trying to mount it, regardless of loading the cdrom and ide-cd
                    modules.

                    wrote:
                    > What laptop are you using? Gentoo doesn't necessarily come with any
                    > specific laptop utilities other than the usual klaptop and the i8kutils.
                    > However with ~60,000 different packages in the latest gentoo tree, I'd
                    > imagine a lot of them are laptop specific.
                    >
                    > I do know that the modular bay on the 4150 is just another IDE channel.
                    > what does your expansion drive show up as. is it an SDX or an HDX?
                    >
                    > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 20:53, Justin Georgeson wrote:
                    > > Ah, your modular bay is part of the laptop itself, yes? Mine is not
                    > > built into the laptop, it connects with a cable. I can't swap the
                    > > drive in the bay without unplugging the cable from the back of the
                    > > bay. I can't see why that would make a difference as the actual drives
                    > > are likely the same for both laptops, but it is a glaring difference.
                    > > Does Gentoo have a specific laptop configuration or utility set? I
                    > > know Debian does, and if RedHat does, I'm not immediately aware of it.
                    > >
                    > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Inspiron 4150, Gentoo and I guess I used the wrong term. I swap the
                    > > > expansion bay drive while running. Just make sure it's unmounted and
                    > > pop
                    > > > it out.

                    > > what
                    > > internal

                    > > <brock@a...>
                    > > drive,
                    > > it

                    > > drive

                    > > Service.
                    > > > --
                    > > > Brock Campbell
                    > > > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                    > > > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                    > > > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                    > > > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > click here

                    > Brock Campbell
                    > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                    > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                    > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                    > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                  • Brock Campbell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                      If it's a cd-rw make sure you've compiled in the appropriate kernel
                      options / modules. You may have to search for a ide-scsi emulation howto
                      on google. I did find this page that looks close to the one I used.
                      http://www.linuxhelper.org/tutorial/ide-scsi.php
                      You might also check that you have support for all the proper
                      filesystems. Just a shot in the dark, but you are using Gentoo right?
                      Of course I'm assuming that you know how to compile in new options to a
                      kernel, if you're using Gentoo, that's a safe one ;)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                        well, turns out it gets created as /dev/scd0, not /dev/hdc. The
                        modules it loads are sg, sr_mod, ide-scsi, scsi_mod, ide-cd, and
                        cdrom. The drive itself works fine if connected when the laptop boots,
                        so I know all the kernel modules and everything are there. I just
                        can't hotswap it at the moment.

                        I'm using RedHat, I just thought I'd check the gentoo forums since it
                        works for you. ;)

                        wrote:
                        > If it's a cd-rw make sure you've compiled in the appropriate kernel
                        > options / modules. You may have to search for a ide-scsi emulation howto
                        > on google. I did find this page that looks close to the one I used.
                        > http://www.linuxhelper.org/tutorial/ide-scsi.php
                        > You might also check that you have support for all the proper
                        > filesystems. Just a shot in the dark, but you are using Gentoo right?
                        > Of course I'm assuming that you know how to compile in new options to a
                        > kernel, if you're using Gentoo, that's a safe one ;)
                        >
                        > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 21:57, Justin Georgeson wrote:
                        > > a latitude C400. I've just determined that the floppy works, it's just
                        > > the cd-rw drive that's not working. It's hdc if connected when I boot.
                        > > I found a few other occurences of people having trouble with the cd-rw
                        > > in a dell on the gentoo forums. I think there are two things not
                        > > happening: devfs is not creating an entry, and the modules aren't
                        > > being loaded. I tried loading cdrom and ide-cd, but it still says
                        > > /dev/hdc is not a valid block device. I also noticed in
                        > > /var/log/messages that modprobe 'Can't locate module block-major-22',
                        > > after trying to mount it, regardless of loading the cdrom and ide-cd
                        > > modules.
                        > >
                        > > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Brock Campbell <brock@a...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > What laptop are you using? Gentoo doesn't necessarily come with any
                        > > > specific laptop utilities other than the usual klaptop and the
                        > > i8kutils.
                        > > > However with ~60,000 different packages in the latest gentoo tree,
                        > > I'd
                        > > > imagine a lot of them are laptop specific.
                        > > >
                        > > > I do know that the modular bay on the 4150 is just another IDE
                        > > channel.
                        > > > what does your expansion drive show up as. is it an SDX or an HDX?

                        > > not
                        > > drives
                        > > difference.
                        > > it.

                        > > <brock@a...>
                        > > the
                        > > and

                        > > drives.
                        > > everything

                        > > of

                        > > Service.
                        > > > --
                        > > > Brock Campbell
                        > > > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                        > > > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                        > > > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                        > Brock Campbell
                        > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                        > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                        > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                        > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                      • Brock Campbell
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                          What is stopping you from hotswapping it? is there activity on the bus
                          that connects it? I usually just unmount the drive, remove it, and put
                          in the other drive. Redhat I think puts a mount/unmount option on their
                          desktop device options. you should be able to just unmount the drive and
                          connect the other. Am I missing something that makes this impossible?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                            If I disconnect the cable, with the drive unmounted, I get a series of
                            kernel messages listed below, but they don't stop until I reboot.
                            Also, I can't unload any of the modules that are loaded for the drive
                            during boot, even after physically disconnecting the drive. If I then
                            attach the floppy, I get the set of messages at the end of this post
                            in /var/log/messages over and over, and I can't read from the floppy.
                            I can't use the cd drive unless it is connected at boot, and I can't
                            use the floppy unless I shut down, disconnect the cd, and boot up.

                            --- begin messages in /var/log/messages after disconnecting the drive

                            Sep 1 23:45:40 dragonfly kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xff {
                            Busy }
                            Sep 1 23:45:40 dragonfly kernel: hdc: DMA disabled
                            Sep 1 23:45:40 dragonfly kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
                            Sep 1 23:45:45 dragonfly kernel: scsi : aborting command due to
                            timeout : pid 3777, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00
                            00 00 00 00
                            Sep 1 23:45:55 dragonfly kernel: scsi : aborting command due to
                            timeout : pid 3777, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00
                            00 00 00 00
                            Sep 1 23:45:55 dragonfly kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 3777) timed
                            out - resetting
                            Sep 1 23:45:55 dragonfly kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
                            channel 0.
                            Sep 1 23:45:55 dragonfly kernel: SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid
                            3777) timed out - trying harder
                            Sep 1 23:45:55 dragonfly kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
                            channel 0.
                            Sep 1 23:46:10 dragonfly kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset timed-out, status=0xff
                            Sep 1 23:46:29 dragonfly su(pam_unix)[3201]: session opened for user
                            root by jgeorgeson(uid=500)
                            Sep 1 23:46:45 dragonfly kernel: ide1: reset timed-out, status=0xff
                            Sep 1 23:46:45 dragonfly kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xff {
                            Busy }
                            Sep 1 23:46:45 dragonfly kernel: hdc: drive not ready for command
                            Sep 1 23:47:01 dragonfly kernel: udf: unregistering filesystem
                            Sep 1 23:47:01 dragonfly kernel: SCSI device not inactive -
                            rq_status=65535, target=0, pid=3777, state=4099, owner=258.
                            Sep 1 23:47:01 dragonfly kernel: Device busy???
                            Sep 1 23:47:15 dragonfly kernel: hdc: ATAPI reset timed-out, status=0xff

                            -- begin messages in /var/log/messages from attaching floppy after
                            -- disconnecting the cd

                            Sep 1 23:50:38 dragonfly kernel: floppy0: sector not found: track 0,
                            head 1, sector 3, size 2
                            Sep 1 23:50:38 dragonfly kernel: floppy0: sector not found: track 0,
                            head 1, sector 3, size 2
                            Sep 1 23:50:38 dragonfly kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 02:00
                            (floppy), sector 20
                            Sep 1 23:50:38 dragonfly kernel: Directory sread (sector 0x14) failed

                            wrote:
> [...]
                            > > aware of

                            > > swap
                            > > unmounted

                            > > And

                            > > the

                            > > external
                            > > running?

                            > > Here!

                            > > Terms
                            > > ---

                            > > of

                            > > Service.
                            > > > --
                            > > > Brock Campbell
                            > > > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                            > > > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                            > > > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                            > > > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                            > >

                            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            > > Click Here!

                            > Brock Campbell
                            > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                          • Brock Campbell
                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                              I see, unfortunately I'm not as familiar with Redhat's treatment of
                              this. If possible try it with Knoppix just to be sure it's not a
                              hardware specific thing. Other idea's, maybe there is a daemon,
                              something like automount that is watching for media changes, but not
                              device changes and thus locking up the bus.try looking in /etc/init.d/
                              for a script with mount in it's name (supermount, automount, etc.) and
                              try restarting it when you've disconnected it. this may stop the kernel
                              messages.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                                Ok, I'm running GNOME, which was set to mount data cd's automatically,
                                and the service autofs was running. I disabled the GNOME feature and
                                stopped the autofs service, and I was able to unload the modules and
                                disconnect the drive. I was then able to connect the floppy, access
                                it, disconnect it, connect the cd, and mount a disc. But I still can't
                                access the cd if it wasn't connected when the system booted. The devfs
                                entry isn't created when I connect the drive and load the modules:
                                "special device /dev/cdrom does not exist."

                                wrote:
                                > I see, unfortunately I'm not as familiar with Redhat's treatment of
                                > this. If possible try it with Knoppix just to be sure it's not a
                                > hardware specific thing. Other idea's, maybe there is a daemon,
                                > something like automount that is watching for media changes, but not
                                > device changes and thus locking up the bus.try looking in /etc/init.d/
                                > for a script with mount in it's name (supermount, automount, etc.) and
                                > try restarting it when you've disconnected it. this may stop the kernel
                                > messages.
                                >

                                > On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 22:58, Justin Georgeson wrote:
                                > > If I disconnect the cable, with the drive unmounted, I get a series of
                                > > kernel messages listed below, but they don't stop until I reboot.
                                > > Also, I can't unload any of the modules that are loaded for the drive
                                > > during boot, even after physically disconnecting the drive. If I then
                                > > attach the floppy, I get the set of messages at the end of this post
                                > > in /var/log/messages over and over, and I can't read from the floppy.
                                > > I can't use the cd drive unless it is connected at boot, and I can't
                                > > use the floppy unless I shut down, disconnect the cd, and boot up.
                                > > .
                                > --
                                > Brock Campbell
                                > -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                                > --- Accelerated Technology ---
                                > -- brock@a... (306)222-2259 --
                                > ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
                              • Brock Campbell
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 1, 2003
                                  Try a lsmod with CD connected and without. there should be an entry
                                  corresponding to your CDrom drive.

                                  Good luck, I'm off to bed, I'll check how you made out in the morning.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 2, 2003
                                    Already tried it. I wonder if there should be an entry in
                                    /etc/modules.conf linking one of the modules with a block-major device.