[linux-dell-laptops] Re: How do I service start order?

  • Terrence O'Connor
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      /etc/rc.d/rc.local
      you can then add the following command at the end
      /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
        While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
        pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
        change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest way
        to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
        editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
        that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
        lower its value so it is started before network.

        Good Luck

        "terrence o'connor" <tjoconnor0-@...> wrote:
        =208
        > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
        > you can then add the following command at the end
        > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

      • eva
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          kingtafar-@... wrote:

          > While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
          > pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
          > change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest
          way
          > to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
          > editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
          > that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
          > lower its value so it is started before network.

          AFAIK, network services are *supposed* to start up before pcmcia. you
          will get a [FAILED] message indicating that eth0 initialization is
          being delayed, but this is not reason for concern. later, when pcmcia
          starts up, it should bring eth0 up along with it, if you have
          configured it correctly.

          i don't quite understand the logic behind why these services are set up
          that way, but i've read many a posting on comp.os.linux.portable by the
          maintainer of the PCMCIA-SERVICES package insisting that networking
          *should* start up before pcmcia. i have it set up that way on my
          redhat 6.0 system and it works fine. if you're tired of the [FAILED]
          message on boot, though, you can set ONBOOT="no" in
          /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to stop the network scripts
          from attempting to bring it up.

          -> eva