Redhat-config, RH9 on I8K Slowness

  • linuxalchemist
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hi! I've recently begun to try out Redhat 9, and after solving several
      issues by searching the web and reading various archives, I have two
      questions so far that I can't seem to figure out. I've read the FAQ
      and done some searching, but most of the material I've found in this
      group and online has been for previous versions of Redhat, so I was
      hoping there might be some news with version 9 that can help me.

      1. When I try to run "Add/Remove Applications," or
      redhat-config-packages, I get an error saying "Installation tree not
      found: /mnt/cdrom does not look like a valid installation source" and
      then the program quits. I used the Redhat 9 ISOs to install the OS,
      and even if I try inserting CD 1 and mounting it, I still get the same
      error. What should I try doing or investigating--any suggestions?

      2. Overall, I am slightly disappointed by the slowness of application
      execution. I'm running on a 1.6GHz with 512MB RAM; it's a Dell
      Inspiron 8200. I've tried adding an "hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 -X66 -K1
      /dev/hda" modification to my rc.local file and an append="idebus=66
      ide0=dma ide1=dma" statement to the end of the linux section of my
      grub.conf in order to increase hard drive performance. Currently, I
      get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
      doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my
      experience is that applications are VERY slow in loading the first
      time, but subsequent loads are much faster. However, it seems like
      overall performance is pretty sluggish, which I really was not
      expecting: Mozilla takes 30 seconds and OpenOffice minutes to load....
      I was afraid memory also might be an issue, so I tried turning off a
      lot of unneeded services (I still have a fair amount running because
      either I don't know what they do or I'm afraid I need them).
      Currently, when the OS starts up System Monitor reports that I'm using
      about 140 out of my 512MB, so it doesn't sound like memory is the
      issue. What suggestions do you guys have for how to improve performance?

      Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to
      use this system and am willing to spend time learning more about it
      and configuring it.

      Thanks,
      Max
    • Damien Solley
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 28, 2003
        On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 16:36, linuxalchemist wrote:
        > Hi! I've recently begun to try out Redhat 9, and after solving several
        > issues by searching the web and reading various archives, I have two
        > questions so far that I can't seem to figure out. I've read the FAQ
        > and done some searching, but most of the material I've found in this
        > group and online has been for previous versions of Redhat, so I was
        > hoping there might be some news with version 9 that can help me.
        >
        > 1. When I try to run "Add/Remove Applications," or
        > redhat-config-packages, I get an error saying "Installation tree not
        > found: /mnt/cdrom does not look like a valid installation source" and
        > then the program quits. I used the Redhat 9 ISOs to install the OS,
        > and even if I try inserting CD 1 and mounting it, I still get the same
        > error. What should I try doing or investigating--any suggestions?
        To get it to recognize your ISOs, start the program with:
        redhat-config-packages --isodir="/path/to/your/redhat/images/"

        > 2. Overall, I am slightly disappointed by the slowness of application
        > execution. I'm running on a 1.6GHz with 512MB RAM; it's a Dell
        > Inspiron 8200. I've tried adding an "hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 -X66 -K1
        > /dev/hda" modification to my rc.local file and an append="idebus=66
        > ide0=dma ide1=dma" statement to the end of the linux section of my
        > grub.conf in order to increase hard drive performance. Currently, I
        > get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
        > doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my
        That is bad, but not too bad. My desktop gets over 35MB/s, and the 30GB
        in my laptop gets just over 20MB/s. However, Redhat 9 (not earlier
        releases) enable DMA by default, so you should try booting without the
        grub and rc.local file entries, and check hdparm again then.

        > experience is that applications are VERY slow in loading the first
        > time, but subsequent loads are much faster. However, it seems like
        > overall performance is pretty sluggish, which I really was not
        > expecting: Mozilla takes 30 seconds and OpenOffice minutes to load....
        This does seem excessive... Run top to check what else is running, and
        might be chewing up. You have chosen the two most monolithic programs,
        and you may be better off downloading the latest Openoffice (1.1RC),
        which is very stable and faster than 1.0.

        > I was afraid memory also might be an issue, so I tried turning off a
        > lot of unneeded services (I still have a fair amount running because
        > either I don't know what they do or I'm afraid I need them).
        > Currently, when the OS starts up System Monitor reports that I'm using
        > about 140 out of my 512MB, so it doesn't sound like memory is the
        > issue. What suggestions do you guys have for how to improve
        > performance?

        512MB is more than enough for just about anything on a standard redhat
        install. In a console run:
        free -m
        to check memory usage (take note of the numbers -/+cache, they are
        indicative of actual usage).

        > Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd really like to
        > use this system and am willing to spend time learning more about it
        > and configuring it.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Max
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > Click Here!

        "An expert is one who knows more and more about less and
        less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing."
      • AthlonRob
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 28, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 23:36, linuxalchemist wrote:

          > 2. Overall, I am slightly disappointed by the slowness of application
          > execution. I'm running on a 1.6GHz with 512MB RAM; it's a Dell
          > Inspiron 8200. I've tried adding an "hdparm -c3 -m16 -d1 -X66 -K1
          > /dev/hda" modification to my rc.local file and an append="idebus=66
          > ide0=dma ide1=dma" statement to the end of the linux section of my
          > grub.conf in order to increase hard drive performance. Currently, I

          I really don't think Dell Inspirons - any of them... run a 66MHz PCI bus
          for their IDE controllers. As such, I would suggest removing the
          idebus=66 part of your grub.conf.

          I would also get rid of that -X66 junk.

          Now that you've enabled DMA, et al, on the disk with that hdparm line in
          your rc.local file ... does DMA actually get enabled? What's the output
          of hdparm /dev/hda?

          > get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
          > doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my

          I'm only getting 19MB/sec on this thing... still almost twice what you
          get, but not that significant. Laptop harddrives just tend to be slower
          than snot on a cold winter day....

          > experience is that applications are VERY slow in loading the first
          > time, but subsequent loads are much faster. However, it seems like
          > overall performance is pretty sluggish, which I really was not

          Which means the first time it is read from the disk, it's slow as
          hell... but then when it's reading it from the kernel's cache (such a
          great thing, BTW) it goes a lot faster...

          > expecting: Mozilla takes 30 seconds and OpenOffice minutes to load....

          Moz and OO are big clunky applications. They're worse on RH.

          Go get Firebird - it's much quicker than Moz, but built around the same
          code. Recompile it yourself, if you can, with optimizations. If you
          compile the Moz code yourself, with optimizations, you'll find a drastic
          improvement. I recompiled Moz with optimizations *a lot* a few months
          ago to find a good balance of stability and raw speed and settled on one
          which loaded in about ten seconds as compared to the original 30 second
          load. I think RH still compiles it with GCC '2.96' to avoid binary
          compatibility issues with old plugins... which just makes things that
          much rose.

          The other guy suggested upgrading OO - I concur. The latest OO loads
          much faster and is much more responsive than 1.0.x ever was.
          Alternatively, check out KOffice, ABiWord, and GNumeric as OO
          replacements.

          > I was afraid memory also might be an issue, so I tried turning off a
          > lot of unneeded services (I still have a fair amount running because
          > either I don't know what they do or I'm afraid I need them).
          > Currently, when the OS starts up System Monitor reports that I'm using
          > about 140 out of my 512MB, so it doesn't sound like memory is the
          > issue. What suggestions do you guys have for how to improve
          > performance?

          Most all of the crap RH has loading on startup is unneeded. RH is a
          server OS, and a crappy one (IMHO) at that, too. It wasn't written with
          the desktop user in mind... as such, it wasn't written to be a
          responsive desktop operating system.

          If you want speed, you can't beat Gentoo, but Gentoo isn't easy to get
          going. Slackware comes in about #2 in the speed department, but it,
          too, is not an easy distro to get going. They both require you do
          things by hand and be very comfortable with the command line.

          I've heard Xandros is fairly quick, and easy to use. Mandrake is
          another one to avoid if you're looking for speed. Debian is quick and
          much easier than Slack or Gentoo, as long as you get used to using all
          their tools. There are others, too...

          Basically, if you want speed, my number one suggestion would be getting
          far, far away from RedHat, and never looking back. :-)

          Rob
        • Linux Alchemist
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 28, 2003
            Thanks for your reply, Damien! I'll check those things out, and hopefully I'll get it working better. Because of this weirdness of "starting programs subsequent times is faster," I'm considering just leaving my machine running always so that I will always have loaded up a program previously....

            Talk to you later and thanks again,
            Max

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Peter Teuben
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 28, 2003
              > On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 23:36, linuxalchemist wrote:

              > > get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
              > > doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my

              i think you're suffering from the well described bug that if you have
              the magicdev deamon running that checks for the CD all the time.

              Try running hdparm a few times and with magicdev you will see it
              go up and down from say 8-12 MB/sec, but erratic. Once you kill
              magicdev, you will see a solid 20-21 MB/sec (or 16 if you have
              a 4200rpm disk). But basically solid with much less jitter.

              KDE has a similar program that will cause your drive to go slow.
              I believe it's the case when the CD is on the same controller (hdb)
              as the main drive (hda). I've not seen this happen in desktops though.

              - peter
            • Adrian Buss
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
                My opinion on why RH9 and even RH8 are slow in the I8K systems. First of
                all in general the hard drives in these machines are quite slow as
                compared to just about any desktop. However even comparing the speed of
                my I5000 which has a 650 Mhz PIII with 256 Meg of memory vs my I8K which
                has a 2.2 Ghz P IV and a gig of memory. I think they open applications at
                about the same speed. I think there are two reasons for this. The poorer
                performance of the drives.

                I think however as well a bigger problem is the way that the newer
                Inspirons handle Interrupts. Looking for example at /proc/interrupts take a
                look at IRQ 11 and have a great laugh.

                CPU0
                0: 663283 XT-PIC timer
                1: 25932 XT-PIC keyboard
                2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
                8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
                11: 197792 XT-PIC usb-uhci, usb-uhci, usb-uhci, ohci1394,
                eth1, Texas Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller, Texas
                Instruments PCI4451 PC card Cardbus Controller (#2), Intel 82801CA-ICH3,
                nvidia
                12: 72258 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
                14: 78367 XT-PIC ide0

                IRQ 11 is a very busy IRQ. As of yet I have not found a way to do
                anything about it.

                Why can't I for example move the nvidia card to a much lower interrupt?

                Adrian

                On 28 Aug 2003, AthlonRob wrote:

> [...]
                >
                > Most all of the crap RH has loading on startup is unneeded. RH is a
                > server OS, and a crappy one (IMHO) at that, too. It wasn't written with
                > the desktop user in mind... as such, it wasn't written to be a
                > responsive desktop operating system.
                >
                > If you want speed, you can't beat Gentoo, but Gentoo isn't easy to get
                > going. Slackware comes in about #2 in the speed department, but it,
                > too, is not an easy distro to get going. They both require you do
                > things by hand and be very comfortable with the command line.
                >
                > I've heard Xandros is fairly quick, and easy to use. Mandrake is
                > another one to avoid if you're looking for speed. Debian is quick and
                > much easier than Slack or Gentoo, as long as you get used to using all
                > their tools. There are others, too...
                >
                > Basically, if you want speed, my number one suggestion would be getting
                > far, far away from RedHat, and never looking back. :-)

                Adrian Buss - Senior Systems Administrator
                CIRA/ACEI - Canadian Internet Registration Authority http://www.cira.ca
                350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110 613-237-5335 ext. 239
                Ottawa, Ontario K1R 7S8 adrian.buss@...
              • Linux Alchemist
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2003
                  Sincere thanks to everyone who's helped me with these issues so far. I must say that Peter's suggestion of slaughtering magicdev has DOUBLED my HD speed, and I can see a definite improvement in performance. Though it's not anything to write home about (yet), I must say that it's beginning to be fun.... So for future RH9-I8Kers, please, please disable magicdev (in Preferences > CD Properties and unchecking EVERYTHING) if you want to fly.

                  $0.02,
                  Max

                • Michael C.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 1 9:37 PM
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, AthlonRob <athlonrob@a...>
                    wrote:

                    > I really don't think Dell Inspirons - any of them... run a 66MHz PCI bus
                    > for their IDE controllers. As such, I would suggest removing the
                    > idebus=66 part of your grub.conf.
                    >
                    > I would also get rid of that -X66 junk.
                    >
                    > Now that you've enabled DMA, et al, on the disk with that hdparm line in
                    > your rc.local file ... does DMA actually get enabled? What's the output
                    > of hdparm /dev/hda?
                    >
                    > > get around 10 MB/s for the buffered reads (the second reading when
                    > > doing an hdparm -tT), which I've read is pretty bad. Basically, my
                    >
                    > I'm only getting 19MB/sec on this thing... still almost twice what you
                    > get, but not that significant. Laptop harddrives just tend to be slower
                    > than snot on a cold winter day....

                    Not too bad - I'm running a 2.4.20-19.9 kernel, RH9, with a 7200rpm
                    Hitachi 2.5" HD - getting:

                    /dev/hda:
                    Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.34 seconds =376.47 MB/sec
                    Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.72 seconds = 37.21 MB/sec

                    michael c.
                  • Brock Campbell
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 1 9:41 PM
                      On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 22:37, Michael C. wrote:

                      > /dev/hda:
                      > Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.34 seconds =376.47 MB/sec
                      > Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.72 seconds = 37.21 MB/sec
                      >
                      > michael c.

                      Argh!!!

                      There goes any reason I had for not trying to source out one of those
                      7200rpm drives. Does anybody know if it's possible to get them from
                      Dell for a I4150?

                      Brock Campbell
                      -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
                      --- Accelerated Technology ---
                      -- brock@... (306)222-2259 --
                      ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------