Re: Issues with kernel 2.4.21 and ACPI patch

  • alvie_singer77
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 26 8:55 PM
      With that kernel source, I was able to get all the ACPI options
      working by using the Con Kolivas patch (instead of the ACPI patch..)
      to the 2.4.21 kernel, plus the dsrt patch (instructions @
      http://somewhere.fscked.org/laptop/#acpi ) though the new kernel broke
      my 3d support... :'_(

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Michaels" <sam@s...>
      wrote:
      > Finally got sick of the freezes on my i2600 from the battery status
      retrievals...I found a post on the list that gave the date the ACPI
      folks fixed that bug. The patch against the 2.4.21 kernel is after
      that date, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.

      > Didn't work. Went through the nonsense of recompiling the kernel,
      emerging alsa-driver, emerging pcmcia-cs, etc (Gentoo
      stuff...recompiling the kernel breaks those things), only to find that
      ACPI wasn't compiled into the kernel. WTF?

      > Upon further inspection of the .config file, I found ALL the options
      for ACPI were missing except for enabling ACPI itself...and they don't
      show up in the menuconfig. If you copy all the options to the .config
      file manually and attempt to compile it bombs with some pointer
      dereference problems (among others).

      > It's a fresh copy of kernel tree v2.4.21 and ACPI v20030619. Anyone
      else have issues patching the kernel?