Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Kernel 2.4.22

  • Damien Solley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2003
      On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 02:21, Christopher TenHarmsel wrote:
      > On Monday 25 August 2003 08:55, Damien Solley wrote:
      > > On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 22:46, Søren Madsen wrote:
      > > > Hi!
      > > >
      > > > Just saw that a new 2.4-series kernel should be released shortly (rc3
      > > > was recently released: http://lwn.net/Articles/46236/). A statement
      > > > was:
      > > >
      > > > "Here goes -rc3, with several fixes. The ACPI changes should fix most
      > > > of
      > > > well known ACPI issues: Please test it."
      > > >
      > > > Any knowledge if these fixes to "well known ACPI issues" will make
      > > > ACPI rock on our belowed DELL notebooks? Or what does the sentence
      > > > above cover?
      > > >
      > > > If so, Im looking forward to this release... :)
      > > >
      > > > Regards,
      > > > Søren Madsen
      > >
      > > Hi Søren
      > >
      > > All they've done is integrate the current ACPI into the main kernel...
      > > So now we don't need to patch the kernel. If current ACPI isn't doing
      > > magic for your laptop, then don't expect too much more from 2.4.22.
      > >
      > > However, 2.4.22 does have other nice goodies, such as support for the
      > > Broadcom 4400 ethernet in my 1100 :-)
      > >
      > > Damien
      >
      > Hi, I have a 1100 as well, and I was wondering what your experiences with the
      > new 2.4.22 kernel's ACPI and your laptop were. I've got a half working
      > implementation here by patching a DSDT into my kernel, but I'd rather just
      > have a stock kernel.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

      Hi Chris

      The 2.4.22 kernel gives me good ACPI thermal and AC adapter status only.
      The struggle is getting battery status going. I haven't tried loading
      DSDT from initrd with the 2.4 series, but it works fine for others
      (http://gaugusch.at/kernel.shtml,
      http://emvis.net/~sean/linux-dell-inspiron-1100/ACPI.txt). I'm using a
      2.6 kernel with no issues, loading the DSDT from an initrd fixed by
      Sebastian Muszynski. You can get the details for the 2.6 kernels from my
      Inspiron page in my .sig below. The instructions are almost identical
      for the 2.4 kernels.
      I haven't had much success with suspending the machine, although I
      haven't had a serious crack at it yet. Software suspend /hibernate
      (SWSUSP) works OK though.
      Regards
      Damien
      --