Re: suse8.2 or redhat9

  • Jarrett Lee
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 2003
      On Monday, August 25, 2003, at 04:09 AM,
      linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Message: 6
      > Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:31:13 +0100
      > From: Peter Hayes <pedroh@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Re: suse8.2 or redhat9
      > On Sunday 24 August 2003 17:29, Jarrett Lee wrote:
      >> If anybody is looking for raw speed, I highly suggest Gentoo Linux.
      >> It's compiled specifically for your system as you install. The new
      >> Gentoo 1.4 features gcc 3.2.3 so the pentium4 CFLAG works now. The
      >> speed is incredible. Installing programs takes a while due to the
      >> fact
      >> that it compiles to install, but its well worth it. I doubt I'll ever
      >> use anything other than a source based distribution again, at least
      >> not
      >> on my desktops and workstations. All window managers, from Gnome to
      >> KDE to fluxbox, are much faster on Gentoo than any other distro I've
      >> tried. Gentoo is not for the faint of heart though. It does not hold
      >> your hand through anything, installation included. The Gentoo site
      >> offers a great and easy to comprehend set of docs to help you get
      >> everything up and running and the site's forums offer all kinds of
      >> help
      >> as well. Just give it a try if you're ready for something new.
      >> Jarrett lee
      >> Systems Administrator
      >> Eye Associates of South Georgia
      > Mmm... But don't you need broadband to download it?
      > Peter

      well broadband is highly recommended, but there is the new GRP (Gentoo
      Reference Platform) where everything is precompiled and comes on an
      iso. you can go to www.gentoo.org and purchase a cd with the most
      common packages precompiled for your processor. you won't get to pick
      what kinds of extras are compiled into packages, but you will get
      something that doesn't need compiling to get it up and running, and the
      source wont' have to be downloaded. the cds are also downloadable if
      you want to get a friend to download it or if you want to leave you net
      connection on for a while. there's also the --fetchonly option in
      portage (kinda like BSD's ports, but better) which will let you
      download the source you need somewhere else and then compile when you
      get to the computer. i'm pretty sure they have portage running under
      other distros and cygwin in case you have a friend with broadband but
      without Gentoo. just run "emerge --fetchonly foo" and the source you
      need will be in /usr/portage/distfiles, tar, copy to cd and then dump
      into the same directory. by the way, if you're a KDE fan, you may want
      to compile fluxbox or something small like that and use it while KDE
      compiles, it took around 5 hours on my I8200 with 2.0GHz processor and
      1024MB RAM (i don't think that much RAM matters when compiling though).

      Jarrett Lee