[linux-dell-laptops] How do I service start order?

  • mvess@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      I'm having the same problem with my laptop.
      The eth0 will not come in service at boot time because the pcmcia
      service
      starts after the eth0 has failed!
      I have looked in the control-panel but cannot find any tool to configure
      the order in which the services are started. Is there a file I can edit?
      Thanks for any help.
    • Terrence O'Connor
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
        /etc/rc.d/rc.local
        you can then add the following command at the end
        /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

        I'm having the same problem with my laptop.
        The eth0 will not come in service at boot time because the pcmcia
        service
        starts after the eth0 has failed!
        I have looked in the control-panel but cannot find any tool to configure
        the order in which the services are started. Is there a file I can edit?
        Thanks for any help.

        Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1701

        -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/linux-dell-laptops/?m=1
      • kingtafari@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
          pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
          change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest way
          to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
          editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
          that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
          lower its value so it is started before network.

          Good Luck

          "terrence o'connor" <tjoconnor0-@...> wrote:
          =208
          > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
          > you can then add the following command at the end
          > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup eth0

        • eva
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
            kingtafar-@... wrote:

            > While the following WILL fix your problem it will not eleviate the
            > pause during boot. To completely correct the problem you do need to
            > change the order of when eth# is initiated. Most likely the easiest
            way
            > to accomplish this would be to change the order using the runlevel
            > editor. Starting "control-panel" select the editor there (its the icon
            > that looks like a stop light). After you open it select pcmcia and
            > lower its value so it is started before network.

            AFAIK, network services are *supposed* to start up before pcmcia. you
            will get a [FAILED] message indicating that eth0 initialization is
            being delayed, but this is not reason for concern. later, when pcmcia
            starts up, it should bring eth0 up along with it, if you have
            configured it correctly.

            i don't quite understand the logic behind why these services are set up
            that way, but i've read many a posting on comp.os.linux.portable by the
            maintainer of the PCMCIA-SERVICES package insisting that networking
            *should* start up before pcmcia. i have it set up that way on my
            redhat 6.0 system and it works fine. if you're tired of the [FAILED]
            message on boot, though, you can set ONBOOT="no" in
            /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 to stop the network scripts
            from attempting to bring it up.

            -> eva