Re: [linux-dell-laptops] fdisk

  • Richard Simpson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
      On Thu, 04 Jan 2001, you wrote:
      >I gave up on fips and am trying to use fdisk to repartion a dell
      >inspiron 5000e (with windows 2000). I have been prompted by fdisk to
      >select either:
      >
      >extended
      >or
      >primary partion (1-4)
      >
      >I need this machine to be dual bootable. What do I select?

      STOP STOP STOP!!!

      If you don't understand these questions then you don't yet know enough about
      disk partitioning and are playing with fire.

      Can I refer you to my earlier magnum opus on the topic of disc partitioning,
      and in particular the HOWTOS which it references.
      http://www.egroups.com/message/linux-dell-laptops/1755

      Good luck!

      Richard Simpson
      Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
      rsimpson@...
    • Brett Viren
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
        peter.sakalaukus@... writes:
        > I gave up on fips and am trying to use fdisk to repartion a dell
        > inspiron 5000e (with windows 2000). I have been prompted by fdisk to
        > select either:
        >
        > extended
        >
        > or
        >
        > primary partion (1-4)
        >
        > I need this machine to be dual bootable. What do I select?

        It depends on how many partitions in total you will need. I generally
        use 3: 1 for windows, 1 for linux-swap and 1 for all of linux. Others
        like to use many partitions for linux (one for each of /, /usr, /home,
        etc).

        If you need less than or equal to 4, then use all primary partitions.

        If you need more than 4, you will have to put some on extended.

        -Brett.
      • Ann Rautenbach
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
          peter.sakalaukus@... wrote:

          > I gave up on fips and am trying to use fdisk to repartion a dell
          > inspiron 5000e (with windows 2000). I have been prompted by fdisk to
          > select either:
          >
          > extended
          >
          > or
          >
          > primary partion (1-4)
          >
          > I need this machine to be dual bootable. What do I select?

          I found the following guide very useful. It goes through different
          options depending on user requirements/skill levels.

          http://www.tuxfinder.com/LDP/LDP/Linux+Windows-GUIDE

          --
          Ann Rautenbach
          DataCash Ltd.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2001
            The two apps that I used that I suggest you can get of the net and they are
            sweet and free, go to download.com and do a search for partition tools,
            actually I think theres a category for it. One is called Ranish Partition
            Manager, the other is somethign called presizer or partition resiszer.
            presizer allows you to change the size of a partition so you don't lose
            data, like fips is supposed to do. Ranish allows tou take a lot better
            control of your paritions. Both run as single file dos executables and fit
            nicely on a WinME boot disk with your other utils. Just remember that a
            hard drive used to be able to hold 4 partitions, these are now called your
            primary partitions. If you you want more then for then you need to take one
            of those 4 and split it up with extendended paritions. Also there is an odd
            parition on dell laptops that I beleive is used for the save to disk
            process. When i set my system up Winme was actually set on hda2 instead of
            one and a little space was left in front of it. I poot /boot on hda2 and my
            root on hda3, I then used extended partitions to create the swap drive and
            the rest was used for data that I share between the 2 OS. The only problem
            I've found is that there is some weird thing where a driveletter shows up as
            D: under ME that I think its trying to read my swap drive, the next letter
            is my shared data partition. I just hide D: with some third party
            utilities.
            Don't be left behind: http://www.leftbehindfilmproject.com/
            Paul L. McNeely (paul@...)
            Backup E-mail: drderail@...
            Volunteer Editor: dmoz.org Webmaster: hotwv.org
            ICQ: 1305664, MSN/Yahoo: drderail, AIM: drderail2
            Jabber: drderail@...
            "A wise man conceals his knowledge
            while fools make clear foolish thoughts" - Proverbs 13:23
            I gave up on fips and am trying to use fdisk to repartion a dell
            inspiron 5000e (with windows 2000). I have been prompted by fdisk to
            select either:

            extended

            or

            primary partion (1-4)

            I need this machine to be dual bootable. What do I select?

            Thanks for your patience ...Pete

            eGroups Sponsor