Re: HDPARM (/etc/hosts file)

  • Jarrett Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2003
      Actually your /etc/hosts file should read:

      127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost hostname

      where "hostname" should be replaced with the hostname for your computer.
      This will allow Gnome (it uses it too) and KDE as well as several other apps
      to not have to go to the net (DNS) to resolve the hostname. Myself
      personally, I have:

      127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

      as my /etc/hosts file, but my hostname IS localhost.localdomain and I let
      DHCP handle my hostname for networking and that way Gnome or KDE won't use
      it.

      Jarrett Lee
      Systems Administrator
      Eye Associates of South Georgia

      > If its only while loading apps, probably is that you don't have your
      > host in the /etc/hosts. KDE apps try to resolv the name of the host and
      > probably that could be the cause of a long delay while loading apps.

      How can you write you host there when your using dhcp and your ip is
      changing all the time? I have only:

      127.0.0.1 localhost

      Is this "enough"?