Re: [linux-dell-laptops] tv out on inspiron 600m

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
      Thats the same chip as on my 8500, here is a mail to this group that I
      sent a few months ago, let me know if you get it to work, I haven't used
      it since I wrote this:

      --- old mail ---

      After alot of experimenting I have found a way to use it to play movies
      on TV with a few caveats. Here is the cookbook:

      1. reboot your laptop with the tvout plug hooked to your computer and
      TV. Install atitvout and mplayer.

      2. From a console edit your XF86Config file to only have either 800x600
      or 640x480 in it. I found 640x480 a better bet because of performance
      issues (I'll get to why).

      3. restart the XDM server so it reads the new XF86Config file and login
      to X. KDE and Gnome suck at 640x480 but there's not much you can do
      about that.

      4. Open an xterm, type "xhost +" and su to root.

      5. Export your display to localhost.

      6. First try running your movie on the laptop screen w/
      mplayer (filename or -dvd 1 for dvd) -vo x11 -zoom

      The X11 is required as the driver because I found that other
      drivers screw up the tvout.

      7. Assuming that works properly type:
      atitvout -f t

      and you should see your display on the TV.

      8. Here is where the wierdness begins, I found that doing somethings
      like hitting the "alt" key or using the mouse can make the colors get
      strange if this happens hit "ctrl-alt-f1" to switch to a terminal and
      "ctrl-alt-f7" to switch back to the laptop screen and then do the
      "atitvout -f t" again. It sounds weird but it does work.

      9. Now while on tv if you run the same mplayer command line you should
      find the output displayed correctly on the screen. If you use xv or any
      other -vo driver for mplayer I've found it messes up the colors.
      Unfortunately the x11 driver has pretty crappy performance so thats why
      we need 640x480 to get smooth playing....

      10. Once the movie is done you will have to reboot with your old x
      config to get everything straight again.

      Please let me know your experiences with these instructions or if you
      find a better way to make it work.

      Paul

      On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 18:32, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren (UMR-Student)
      wrote:
      > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2 drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains the VBE calls failed.
      >

      > Any ideas?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Tobyn V.

    • Ben Saylor
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        The drivers from here:
        http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
        seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to configure
        the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried tv
        out.

        Ben

        On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
        (UMR-Student) wrote:
        > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
        > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2
        > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains
        > the VBE calls failed.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Tobyn V.

        > ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your
        > HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders
        > $50 or more to the US & Canada.
        > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM
      • Jazz
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
          This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
          driver that from the link below:

          http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html

          I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
          models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
          with Radeon Mobility 9000?

          Jazz

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ben Saylor <bensaylor@h...>
          wrote:
          > The drivers from here:
          > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
          > seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to configure
          > the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried tv
          > out.
          >
          > Ben
          >
          > On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
          > (UMR-Student) wrote:
          > > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
          > > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2
          > > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains
          > > the VBE calls failed.
          > >
          > > Any ideas?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Tobyn V.
        • Alexander Woerndle
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
            Take the drivers for the FireGL 8800 RADEON Modell. They all work on the
            Radeon Mobilty 9000. I used them myself for some time. You might want to
            check out www.ati.com. These drivers can now be found there too. Be carefull
            not to select the mobility cards but chose the straight Radeon 9000. As far
            as i know the Chips on Radeon 9000M and Radeon 9000 are almost identical.

            Cheers Alex

            On Monday 10 November 2003 18:19, Jazz wrote:
            > This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
            > driver that from the link below:
            >
            > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
            >
            > I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
            > models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
            > with Radeon Mobility 9000?
            >

            > Jazz
          • Arturo González
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
              glx1 3.0.2-8 for your xfree86 version :)

              El lun, 10-11-2003 a las 18:19, Jazz escribió:
              > This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
              > driver that from the link below:
              >
              > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
              >
              > I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
              > models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
              > with Radeon Mobility 9000?
              >

              > Jazz
              >
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ben Saylor <bensaylor@h...>
              > wrote:
              > > The drivers from here:
              > > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
              > > seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to
              > configure
              > > the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried
              > tv
              > > out.
              > >
              > > Ben
              > >
              > > On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
              > > (UMR-Student) wrote:
              > > > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
              > > > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the
              > ati.2
              > > > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it
              > complains
              > > > the VBE calls failed.
              > > >
              > > > Any ideas?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Tobyn V.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              > click here

              Arturo González Ferrer.
              Administrador de Sistemas y de plataforma WEBCT
              Centro de Enseñanzas Virtuales
              Universidad de Granada.
              http://cevug.ugr.es
              e-mails: <arturogf@...>, <clonebot@...>