tv out on inspiron 600m

  • VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren (UMR-Student)
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
      Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2 drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains the VBE calls failed.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Tobyn V.
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 2, 2003
        Thats the same chip as on my 8500, here is a mail to this group that I
        sent a few months ago, let me know if you get it to work, I haven't used
        it since I wrote this:

        --- old mail ---

        After alot of experimenting I have found a way to use it to play movies
        on TV with a few caveats. Here is the cookbook:

        1. reboot your laptop with the tvout plug hooked to your computer and
        TV. Install atitvout and mplayer.

        2. From a console edit your XF86Config file to only have either 800x600
        or 640x480 in it. I found 640x480 a better bet because of performance
        issues (I'll get to why).

        3. restart the XDM server so it reads the new XF86Config file and login
        to X. KDE and Gnome suck at 640x480 but there's not much you can do
        about that.

        4. Open an xterm, type "xhost +" and su to root.

        5. Export your display to localhost.

        6. First try running your movie on the laptop screen w/
        mplayer (filename or -dvd 1 for dvd) -vo x11 -zoom

        The X11 is required as the driver because I found that other
        drivers screw up the tvout.

        7. Assuming that works properly type:
        atitvout -f t

        and you should see your display on the TV.

        8. Here is where the wierdness begins, I found that doing somethings
        like hitting the "alt" key or using the mouse can make the colors get
        strange if this happens hit "ctrl-alt-f1" to switch to a terminal and
        "ctrl-alt-f7" to switch back to the laptop screen and then do the
        "atitvout -f t" again. It sounds weird but it does work.

        9. Now while on tv if you run the same mplayer command line you should
        find the output displayed correctly on the screen. If you use xv or any
        other -vo driver for mplayer I've found it messes up the colors.
        Unfortunately the x11 driver has pretty crappy performance so thats why
        we need 640x480 to get smooth playing....

        10. Once the movie is done you will have to reboot with your old x
        config to get everything straight again.

        Please let me know your experiences with these instructions or if you
        find a better way to make it work.

        Paul

        On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 18:32, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren (UMR-Student)
        wrote:
        > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2 drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains the VBE calls failed.
        >

        > Any ideas?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >

        > Tobyn V.

      • Ben Saylor
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
          The drivers from here:
          http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
          seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to configure
          the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried tv
          out.

          Ben

          On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
          (UMR-Student) wrote:
          > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
          > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2
          > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains
          > the VBE calls failed.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Tobyn V.

          > ---------------------~--> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for Your
          > HP, Epson, Canon or Lexmark Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders
          > $50 or more to the US & Canada.
          > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM
        • Jazz
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
            This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
            driver that from the link below:

            http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html

            I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
            models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
            with Radeon Mobility 9000?

            Jazz

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ben Saylor <bensaylor@h...>
            wrote:
            > The drivers from here:
            > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
            > seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to configure
            > the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried tv
            > out.
            >
            > Ben
            >
            > On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
            > (UMR-Student) wrote:
            > > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
            > > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the ati.2
            > > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it complains
            > > the VBE calls failed.
            > >
            > > Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Thanks,
            > >
            > > Tobyn V.
          • Alexander Woerndle
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
              Take the drivers for the FireGL 8800 RADEON Modell. They all work on the
              Radeon Mobilty 9000. I used them myself for some time. You might want to
              check out www.ati.com. These drivers can now be found there too. Be carefull
              not to select the mobility cards but chose the straight Radeon 9000. As far
              as i know the Chips on Radeon 9000M and Radeon 9000 are almost identical.

              Cheers Alex

              On Monday 10 November 2003 18:19, Jazz wrote:
              > This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
              > driver that from the link below:
              >
              > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
              >
              > I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
              > models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
              > with Radeon Mobility 9000?
              >

              > Jazz
            • Arturo González
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2003
                glx1 3.0.2-8 for your xfree86 version :)

                El lun, 10-11-2003 a las 18:19, Jazz escribió:
                > This is an old post, I am wondering if anybody has installed the
                > driver that from the link below:
                >
                > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
                >
                > I could not figure out which driver to download, since in there the
                > models that were listed were firegl model. Which one is compatible
                > with Radeon Mobility 9000?
                >

                > Jazz
                >
                > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ben Saylor <bensaylor@h...>
                > wrote:
                > > The drivers from here:
                > > http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html
                > > seem to support tv out (run fglrxconfig after installing to
                > configure
                > > the XF86Config options). They work on my 600m, but I haven't tried
                > tv
                > > out.
                > >
                > > Ben
                > >
                > > On Saturday 02 August 2003 3:32 pm, VanVeghten, Tobyn Warren
                > > (UMR-Student) wrote:
                > > > Has anyone gotten the tv out to work on an Inspiron 600m with the
                > > > 64mb Radeon Mobility 9000? I have successfully installed the
                > ati.2
                > > > drivers and atitvout, but when I try and run atitvout, it
                > complains
                > > > the VBE calls failed.
                > > >
                > > > Any ideas?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > >
                > > > Tobyn V.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                > click here

                Arturo González Ferrer.
                Administrador de Sistemas y de plataforma WEBCT
                Centro de Enseñanzas Virtuales
                Universidad de Granada.
                http://cevug.ugr.es
                e-mails: <arturogf@...>, <clonebot@...>