Re: [linux-dell-laptops] DOES THIS EXIST.......?

  • altairyah@rhythm.cx
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
      > it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
      > i am trying to get around a password that is on it
      > THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
      > It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
      > i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a floppy disk
      > on it.
      > i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the whole 9yards.
      > I need someone to point me in the direction of a website i can find
      > a version of Linux on floppy.
      > DOES THIS EXIST.......?
      > i hope someone can help me out here, i have been trying to get help
      > with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing but, headaches.
      > take care.
      > Rick.
      > PS or Windows 95 on floppy

      If the laptop you're trying to install onto has a network card, and you have
      another unix machine of some sort on the network, then you can do a network
      install of some distro... this is how I got linux onto my older laptops.
    • hfelton11
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2003
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Richard Mayberry
        <schwigiddy1@y...> wrote:
        > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
        [snip]

        try tomsrtbt at http://www.toms.net/rb/ for
        a simple linux-on-floppy. if you cant get
        this one downloaded/running, then id suggest
        sticking with windows. (sorry, but your
        comment about cracking passwords seemed odd)

        go to some other machine and create a w95/w98
        boot floppy. if you dont have the original
        win95 disks (i think it was like 15 floppies)
        for this machine, then youll be starting over.

        id suggest getting a standard parallel-port
        cdrom drive for installing your next os.
        getting a network-attachment going to your
        second pc and its cdrom is probably going
        to be more difficult than productive.

        good luck, h.
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
          NOT TESTED, but you may be able to do this...

          There are some kernels that allow the use of a
          parallell (sp?) port IDE device. It's possible, if you
          have another linux machine nearby, to create a boot
          disk with this p-port IDE device thing enabled on it,
          then connect an external CD that way. Once again, I
          HAVE NOT DONE THIS but I have thought about it very
          seriously for an old IBM laptop of mine (I couldn't
          figure out how to make it boot to the CD, if it even
          is capable of it)

          Maybe this can help you as a starting point for a
          solution. Anyone have any ideas if this will or will
          not work?

          --- altairyah@... wrote:
          > > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
          > > it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
          > > i am trying to get around a password that is on it
          > > THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
          > > It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
          > > i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a
          > floppy disk
          > > on it.
          > > i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the
          > whole 9yards.
          > > I need someone to point me in the direction of a
          > website i can find
          > > a version of Linux on floppy.
          > > DOES THIS EXIST.......?
          > > i hope someone can help me out here, i have been
          > trying to get help
          > > with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing
          > but, headaches.
          > > take care.
          > > Rick.
          > > PS or Windows 95 on floppy
          >
          > If the laptop you're trying to install onto has a
          > network card, and you have
          > another unix machine of some sort on the network,
          > then you can do a network
          > install of some distro... this is how I got linux
          > onto my older laptops.

          =====
          Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
            I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
            LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
            security probing and see how easy it would be to break
            the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
            there are several programs floating around that can
            monitor data packet flow and build a database,
            eventually using these to crack the encryption key.

            My question is, does anyone recommend one in
            particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
            particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
            Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
            it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
            penguin-powered OS ;)

            I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
            adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
            can give me some advice/tips on which of these
            programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
            grateful. Thanks. :)

            =====
            Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Dave Kristol
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
              <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
              > I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
              > LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
              > security probing and see how easy it would be to break
              > the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
              > there are several programs floating around that can
              > monitor data packet flow and build a database,
              > eventually using these to crack the encryption key.
              >
              > My question is, does anyone recommend one in
              > particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
              > particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
              > Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
              > it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
              > penguin-powered OS ;)
              >
              > I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
              > adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
              > can give me some advice/tips on which of these
              > programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
              > grateful. Thanks. :)

              Check out AirSnort, <http://airsnort.shmoo.com/>, for Linux.

              Dave Kristol
            • chris chambers
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                I havn't used this but hear good things. It is called wepcrack, and
                it's an open source tool.

                HTH
                Good luck

                Chris

                http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WepCrack

                --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:
                > I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
                > LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
                > security probing and see how easy it would be to break
                > the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
                > there are several programs floating around that can
                > monitor data packet flow and build a database,
                > eventually using these to crack the encryption key.
                >
                > My question is, does anyone recommend one in
                > particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
                > particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
                > Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
                > it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
                > penguin-powered OS ;)
                >
                > I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
                > adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
                > can give me some advice/tips on which of these
                > programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
                > grateful. Thanks. :)
                >
                > =====
                > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of
                > evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a
                > takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and
                > Hell" - Black Sabbath

                > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                =====
                93 Audi S4 silver, 93 Audi S4 black, 85 VW Scirocco 2.0 not stock :-)
                73 Porsche 914 2.0 (67,000 original miles, stock), 67 GMC Long Step pickup 95% complete frame off restoration, 86 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg

                "If things seem really under control, you're not going fast enough. -
                Mario Andretti"

                "It's not how much you make, but how much you don't spend!"

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
                  Anyone have experience using a USR card under Linux? I've got a 2210 (PCMCIA) card that I'd like to hook up on my Linux machine (desktop, using a PCMCIA->PCI adapter) in order to start this probing/hacking test, but there are no "official" USR drivers that I can find. Something in .tar.gz would be best... RPM mocthen meine...box... nicht... or something like that. Tips? Suggestions? Wild guesses you've pulled out of the air? Anything at all is helpful.

                  <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                  > I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
                  > LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
                  > security probing and see how easy it would be to break
                  > the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
                  > there are several programs floating around that can
                  > monitor data packet flow and build a database,
                  > eventually using these to crack the encryption key.
                  >
                  > My question is, does anyone recommend one in
                  > particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
                  > particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
                  > Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
                  > it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
                  > penguin-powered OS ;)
                  >
                  > I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
                  > adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
                  > can give me some advice/tips on which of these
                  > programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
                  > grateful. Thanks. :)

                  Check out AirSnort, <http://airsnort.shmoo.com/>, for Linux.

                  Dave Kristol

                  Sing me a song, you're a singer Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil The devil is never a maker The less that you give, you're a taker So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell Oh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                  Do you Yahoo!?