DOES THIS EXIST.......?

  • Richard Mayberry
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
      it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
      i am trying to get around a password that is on it
      THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
      It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
      i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a floppy disk
      on it.
      i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the whole 9yards.
      I need someone to point me in the direction of a website i can find
      a version of Linux on floppy.
      DOES THIS EXIST.......?
      i hope someone can help me out here, i have been trying to get help
      with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing but, headaches.
      take care.
      Rick.
      PS or Windows 95 on floppy

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • iriXx
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
        a) try Knoppix, if it has a CD....

        b) try LOAF - Linux On A Floppy

        c) try http://astalavista.box.sk which might have exploits for PC Watchman

        good luck

        m~

        Richard Mayberry wrote:

        > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
        > it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
        > i am trying to get around a password that is on it
        > THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
        > It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
        > i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a floppy disk
        > on it.
        > i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the whole 9yards.
        > I need someone to point me in the direction of a website i can find
        > a version of Linux on floppy.
        > DOES THIS EXIST.......?
        > i hope someone can help me out here, i have been trying to get help
        > with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing but, headaches.
        > take care.
        > Rick.
        > PS or Windows 95 on floppy

        > Yahoo! SiteBuilder
        > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=10469/*http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com> - Free,
        > easy-to-use web site design software
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=194081.3551198.4824677.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1708211820:HM/A=1663535/R=0/SIG=11ps6rfef/*http://www.ediets.com/start.cfm?code=30504&media=atkins>

        |\ _,,,---,,_
        ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy
        |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
        '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL

        "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are
        subtle and will piss on your computer."
        -- Bruce Graham

        Musicians say No to RIAA Persecution and Prosecution of Music Lovers!

        Sign the petition at http://www.copyleftmedia.org.uk/justsayno/

        .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.
      • altairyah@rhythm.cx
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
          > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
          > it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
          > i am trying to get around a password that is on it
          > THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
          > It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
          > i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a floppy disk
          > on it.
          > i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the whole 9yards.
          > I need someone to point me in the direction of a website i can find
          > a version of Linux on floppy.
          > DOES THIS EXIST.......?
          > i hope someone can help me out here, i have been trying to get help
          > with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing but, headaches.
          > take care.
          > Rick.
          > PS or Windows 95 on floppy

          If the laptop you're trying to install onto has a network card, and you have
          another unix machine of some sort on the network, then you can do a network
          install of some distro... this is how I got linux onto my older laptops.
        • hfelton11
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2003
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Richard Mayberry
            <schwigiddy1@y...> wrote:
            > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
            [snip]

            try tomsrtbt at http://www.toms.net/rb/ for
            a simple linux-on-floppy. if you cant get
            this one downloaded/running, then id suggest
            sticking with windows. (sorry, but your
            comment about cracking passwords seemed odd)

            go to some other machine and create a w95/w98
            boot floppy. if you dont have the original
            win95 disks (i think it was like 15 floppies)
            for this machine, then youll be starting over.

            id suggest getting a standard parallel-port
            cdrom drive for installing your next os.
            getting a network-attachment going to your
            second pc and its cdrom is probably going
            to be more difficult than productive.

            good luck, h.
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
              NOT TESTED, but you may be able to do this...

              There are some kernels that allow the use of a
              parallell (sp?) port IDE device. It's possible, if you
              have another linux machine nearby, to create a boot
              disk with this p-port IDE device thing enabled on it,
              then connect an external CD that way. Once again, I
              HAVE NOT DONE THIS but I have thought about it very
              seriously for an old IBM laptop of mine (I couldn't
              figure out how to make it boot to the CD, if it even
              is capable of it)

              Maybe this can help you as a starting point for a
              solution. Anyone have any ideas if this will or will
              not work?

              --- altairyah@... wrote:
              > > I have a Dell Latitude xpi 133st Laptop.
              > > it has a messed up version of Windows 95 on it.
              > > i am trying to get around a password that is on it
              > > THIS PASSWORD IS NOT FROM DELL OR WINDOWS.
              > > It is called PC Watchman & i can not crack it.
              > > i want to put Linux on it but, it only has a
              > floppy disk
              > > on it.
              > > i do have another PC with CDrom & burner and the
              > whole 9yards.
              > > I need someone to point me in the direction of a
              > website i can find
              > > a version of Linux on floppy.
              > > DOES THIS EXIST.......?
              > > i hope someone can help me out here, i have been
              > trying to get help
              > > with this issue for a while & i am getting nothing
              > but, headaches.
              > > take care.
              > > Rick.
              > > PS or Windows 95 on floppy
              >
              > If the laptop you're trying to install onto has a
              > network card, and you have
              > another unix machine of some sort on the network,
              > then you can do a network
              > install of some distro... this is how I got linux
              > onto my older laptops.

              =====
              Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
                LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
                security probing and see how easy it would be to break
                the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
                there are several programs floating around that can
                monitor data packet flow and build a database,
                eventually using these to crack the encryption key.

                My question is, does anyone recommend one in
                particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
                particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
                Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
                it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
                penguin-powered OS ;)

                I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
                adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
                can give me some advice/tips on which of these
                programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
                grateful. Thanks. :)

                =====
                Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              • Dave Kristol
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"
                  <web_raptor.geo@y...> wrote:
                  > I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
                  > LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
                  > security probing and see how easy it would be to break
                  > the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
                  > there are several programs floating around that can
                  > monitor data packet flow and build a database,
                  > eventually using these to crack the encryption key.
                  >
                  > My question is, does anyone recommend one in
                  > particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
                  > particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
                  > Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
                  > it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
                  > penguin-powered OS ;)
                  >
                  > I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
                  > adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
                  > can give me some advice/tips on which of these
                  > programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
                  > grateful. Thanks. :)

                  Check out AirSnort, <http://airsnort.shmoo.com/>, for Linux.

                  Dave Kristol
                • chris chambers
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2003
                    I havn't used this but hear good things. It is called wepcrack, and
                    it's an open source tool.

                    HTH
                    Good luck

                    Chris

                    http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/WepCrack

                    --- "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...> wrote:
                    > I raised the issue of security regarding our wireless
                    > LAN with my boss today. He wants me to do some
                    > security probing and see how easy it would be to break
                    > the encryption key of our wireless network. I know
                    > there are several programs floating around that can
                    > monitor data packet flow and build a database,
                    > eventually using these to crack the encryption key.
                    >
                    > My question is, does anyone recommend one in
                    > particular? Either Windows or Linux, I don't
                    > particularly care (I've never done anything WLAN under
                    > Linux, so Windows would be easier for me, although
                    > it's always nice to learn new things for my favorite
                    > penguin-powered OS ;)
                    >
                    > I have a couple of different US Robotics 11mb and 22mb
                    > adapters, if that makes any difference. So if anyone
                    > can give me some advice/tips on which of these
                    > programs to try and how to run them, I'd be very
                    > grateful. Thanks. :)
                    >
                    > =====
                    > Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of
                    > evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a
                    > takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and
                    > Hell" - Black Sabbath

                    > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                    =====
                    93 Audi S4 silver, 93 Audi S4 black, 85 VW Scirocco 2.0 not stock :-)
                    73 Porsche 914 2.0 (67,000 original miles, stock), 67 GMC Long Step pickup 95% complete frame off restoration, 86 VW Scirocco Wolfsburg

                    "If things seem really under control, you're not going fast enough. -
                    Mario Andretti"

                    "It's not how much you make, but how much you don't spend!"

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
                      Anyone have experience using a USR card under Linux? I've got a 2210 (PCMCIA) card that I'd like to hook up on my Linux machine (desktop, using a PCMCIA->PCI adapter) in order to start this probing/hacking test, but there are no "official" USR drivers that I can find. Something in .tar.gz would be best... RPM mocthen meine...box... nicht... or something like that. Tips? Suggestions? Wild guesses you've pulled out of the air? Anything at all is helpful.