Re: TrueMoble 1150 in Inspirons

  • Mark Feit
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "asdf39471"
      <altairyah@r...> wrote:

      > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
      > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
      >
      > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
      > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
      >
      > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
      > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
      > double check.

      Most Inspirons share a motherboard with their similar-spec Latitude
      cousins. I guess Dell figures business will pony up the extra dough
      for the Latitude name.

      > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
      > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
      > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

      MiniPCI is a specification for small-form-factor cards that implement
      a subset of the PCI bus. Anything bearing the MiniPCI name should pop
      just fine into the slot on your laptop. Driver availability is a
      whole different can of worms...

      -- Mark
    • J.C. Wren
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        I dual boot my 8500 w/ 1150, and under Linux it works fine. Windows seems to
        realize a card is present, but won't do anything with it. It neither uses it
        as a network device, and nor lets me upgrade it (the upgrade utility says "no
        driver instaleld for device").

        --John
      • Frank Wales
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
          On 07/31/03 21:18, asdf39471 wrote:
          > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
          > Inspiron?

          I'm currently using an 1150 in my 8500; the only problem is that
          one of the two internal aerial leads is a little too short to
          reach the card, but it works fine with the one lead that does reach.

          I dual boot WinXP and RedHat9 (with a custom 2.4.22 kernel), and I
          have working wireless networking in both.
          --
          Frank Wales [frank@...]