Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Hot-swap items in removable bay

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
      Interesting... I don't know what to say. My laptop
      will let me pull the CD out so long as nothing is
      mounted -- I assume you're unmounting anything from
      the modular hard drive before pulling it -- and then
      put the floppy in as normal. I'm pretty sure that fd0
      is hard-coded into my kernel - it always shows fd0
      initializing on my kernel boot even if I don't have
      the floppy drive installed. Don't ask me too much
      about that, because I'm not good with kernel stuff.
      Strangely enough, the FreeBSD kernel config and
      building was easier for me than Linux... but I
      digress.

      On the topic of FreeBSD, maybe there's something like
      atacontrol available (for those who don't know,
      atacontrol is a utility to de-init/re-init IDE
      channels without rebooting... though it always caused
      a kernel panic for me) for Linux. I'd sure be happy if
      there were, because then I could swap out whatever
      devices I've got for the bay (CD-RW, floppy, and
      battery) and not have to worry about any reboots to
      bring up the CD drive if it wasn't in at boot.

      I found this also while I was on the phone before
      sending this email. It's from a message board, the
      link to which is after the message:

      sync
      umount /dev/hdN*
      hdparm -U /dev/hdN
      (remove old drive, put in new drive)
      hdparm -R /dev/hdN
      mount /dev/hdN*

      http://www.egr.msu.edu/archives/public/linux-user/2003-February/007163.html

      --- "Gwen M. Morse" <renniefan@...> wrote:
      > At 01:07 AM 7/30/2003, "W.K. Vladmir Ward" wrote:
      >
      > >On my 8200, I have a CD-RW and floppy for the hot
      > swap bay. If I boot with
      > >the CD in the bay, I'm able to pull it out so long
      > as it isn't in use and
      > >run the floppy just fine. I can then remove the
      > floppy when I'm done and
      > >put the CD back in, and run fine. Maybe somehow
      > it's different with the
      > >hard drive, though I wouldn't imagine how. What
      > distro are you running?
      > >I'm running Slackware 8.1... though it shouldn't
      > matter, technically speaking.
      >
      > I'm running Redhat 9.
      >
      > I'm not able to hot-swap between the floppy and the
      > hard drive and would
      > very much like to be able to. Is there any more
      > information I can provide
      > that would better help to troubleshoot this?
      >
      > Gwen
      >

      > --
      > Gwen Morse (Dell Inspiron 8200 bought 9/2002 Service
      > Tag: 1Z9LT11)
      > P4-m 1.7. 15" UXGA screen. 384 megs RAM. NVIDIA
      > GeForce4 440 64 meg DDR
      > video card. 24X CD-RW/DVD. Internal TrueMobile 1150
      > miniPCI card. Primary
      > 60 gig drive running Windows 2000 and Redhat Linux
      > 9. Second (removable
      > bay) 40 gig drive for WineX and Crossover Office
      > programs.

      =====
      Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        Adding to my previous message, it appears I'm an
        idiot. This doesn't seem to work unless the channel is
        recognized on boot by the kernel... meaning you'd have
        to boot with the hard drive in in order to access it.

        =====
        Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Peter Hayes
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
          On Friday 01 August 2003 16:24, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
          > Adding to my previous message, it appears I'm an
          > idiot. This doesn't seem to work unless the channel is
          > recognized on boot by the kernel... meaning you'd have
          > to boot with the hard drive in in order to access it.

          What happens if you Fn + F1 to re-read the BIOS after swapping drives?

          Peter