Re: TrueMoble 1150 in Inspirons

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "asdf39471"
      <altairyah@r...> wrote:
      > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
      > Inspiron?
      >
      > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
      > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
      >
      > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
      > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
      >
      > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
      > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
      > double check.
      >
      > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
      > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
      > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

      The TM 1150 works just dandy in my I8200. It uses the Orinoco chipset
      and is equivalent to an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card. Most Linux distros
      seem to recognize it out-of-the-box (though they may choose different
      drivers for it for reasons I can't explain).

      To reiterate another post: stay away from the TrueMobile 1180, which
      has no Linux support, AFAIK.

      I think MiniPCI cards are supposed to be standard, but I have no
      experience either way.

      Dave Kristol
    • Mark Feit
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
        <altairyah@r...> wrote:

        > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
        > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
        >
        > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
        > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
        >
        > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
        > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
        > double check.

        Most Inspirons share a motherboard with their similar-spec Latitude
        cousins. I guess Dell figures business will pony up the extra dough
        for the Latitude name.

        > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
        > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
        > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

        MiniPCI is a specification for small-form-factor cards that implement
        a subset of the PCI bus. Anything bearing the MiniPCI name should pop
        just fine into the slot on your laptop. Driver availability is a
        whole different can of worms...

        -- Mark
      • J.C. Wren
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
          I dual boot my 8500 w/ 1150, and under Linux it works fine. Windows seems to
          realize a card is present, but won't do anything with it. It neither uses it
          as a network device, and nor lets me upgrade it (the upgrade utility says "no
          driver instaleld for device").

          --John
        • Frank Wales
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
            On 07/31/03 21:18, asdf39471 wrote:
            > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
            > Inspiron?

            I'm currently using an 1150 in my 8500; the only problem is that
            one of the two internal aerial leads is a little too short to
            reach the card, but it works fine with the one lead that does reach.

            I dual boot WinXP and RedHat9 (with a custom 2.4.22 kernel), and I
            have working wireless networking in both.
            --
            Frank Wales [frank@...]