Re: Random mouse clicking/movement?

  • Søren Madsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 4:12 AM
      > I seem to be having issues with the mouse randomly clicking in both
      > Linux and Windows, and randomly drifting in Linux... not so much
      worried
      > about the drifting, but the clicking is really getting on my
      nerves, and
      > the fact that it's across both Linux and Windows is disturbing...
      has
      > anyone else had this problem?

      Im also having this problem. The random drifting of the mouse is
      usually gone pretty quickly if you do not touch the trackstick and
      just let it drift until its over...

      I think I will try to disable the touchpad in the bios, as I dont use
      it...

      Regards,
      Søren Madsen
    • Sjoerd Mullender
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 4:33 AM
        On Fri, Aug 1 2003 Søren_Madsen wrote:

        > > I seem to be having issues with the mouse randomly clicking in both
        > > Linux and Windows, and randomly drifting in Linux... not so much
        > worried
        > > about the drifting, but the clicking is really getting on my
        > nerves, and
        > > the fact that it's across both Linux and Windows is disturbing...
        > has
        > > anyone else had this problem?
        >
        > Im also having this problem. The random drifting of the mouse is
        > usually gone pretty quickly if you do not touch the trackstick and
        > just let it drift until its over...
        >
        > I think I will try to disable the touchpad in the bios, as I dont use
        > it...

        The drifting of the cursor is due to the way the trackstick is
        implemented. Because of the variable signals the track stick
        generates, it is recalibrated every so often. In principle, this
        happens when you're not touching it, but if you apply a constant
        pressure, the hardware doesn't know the difference. It then
        recalibrates using this pressure, and when you let go, the cursor
        drifts in the opposite direction of the pressure. Until the stick
        gets recalibrated again.

        I have seen this problem with my Dell laptop, but also with my IBM
        thinkpads which also have these tracksticks.

        -- Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@...>
      • Søren Madsen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 6:07 AM
          > The drifting of the cursor is due to the way the trackstick is
          > implemented. Because of the variable signals the track stick
          > generates, it is recalibrated every so often. In principle, this
          > happens when you're not touching it, but if you apply a constant
          > pressure, the hardware doesn't know the difference. It then
          > recalibrates using this pressure, and when you let go, the cursor
          > drifts in the opposite direction of the pressure. Until the stick
          > gets recalibrated again.
          >
          > I have seen this problem with my Dell laptop, but also with my IBM
          > thinkpads which also have these tracksticks.

          That explains it very well! Thanks!

          Regards,
          Søren Madsen
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 9:29 AM
            As far as the clicking goes, the touchpad and
            trackstick are both capable of interpreting taps as
            clicking (meaning you bump one or the other, or if you
            ease up on the pressure for a moment and then go back,
            it can assume you're clicking. Quite annoying if you
            don't set the sensetivity properly, but I don't know
            of a way to do this in Linux. I just get used to it
            and try to keep a constant pressure on the pad.

            By the way... do you think Dell will send me a new
            touchpad if I tell them mine's lost its texture? It's
            smooth in the middle and I don't like that.

            --- Sjoerd Mullender <Sjoerd.Mullender@...> wrote:
            > On Fri, Aug 1 2003 S�ren_Madsen wrote:
            >
            > > > I seem to be having issues with the mouse
            > randomly clicking in both
            > > > Linux and Windows, and randomly drifting in
            > Linux... not so much
            > > worried
            > > > about the drifting, but the clicking is really
            > getting on my
            > > nerves, and
            > > > the fact that it's across both Linux and Windows
            > is disturbing...
            > > has
            > > > anyone else had this problem?
            > >
            > > Im also having this problem. The random drifting
            > of the mouse is
            > > usually gone pretty quickly if you do not touch
            > the trackstick and
            > > just let it drift until its over...
            > >
            > > I think I will try to disable the touchpad in the
            > bios, as I dont use
            > > it...
            >
            > The drifting of the cursor is due to the way the
            > trackstick is
            > implemented. Because of the variable signals the
            > track stick
            > generates, it is recalibrated every so often. In
            > principle, this
            > happens when you're not touching it, but if you
            > apply a constant
            > pressure, the hardware doesn't know the difference.
            > It then
            > recalibrates using this pressure, and when you let
            > go, the cursor
            > drifts in the opposite direction of the pressure.
            > Until the stick
            > gets recalibrated again.
            >
            > I have seen this problem with my Dell laptop, but
            > also with my IBM
            > thinkpads which also have these tracksticks.
            >
            > -- Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd@...>

            =====
            Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          • Olivier Berger
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 17 2:34 PM
              Taylor James Zingsheim <treylis@...> writes:

              > I seem to be having issues with the mouse randomly clicking in both
              > Linux and Windows, and randomly drifting in Linux... not so much worried
              > about the drifting, but the clicking is really getting on my nerves, and
              > the fact that it's across both Linux and Windows is disturbing... has
              > anyone else had this problem?

              That happened on three latitude C610 we have at my workplace.

              We asked for service repairing from Dell, and after asking us to test
              the hardware by booting off the drivers CD, they finally shipped us
              replacement keyboards (including the "whatever-stick"). Since we
              replaced them, no problem so far.

              Hope this helps (of course they were still under waranty period).

              Regards,
              --
              Olivier BERGER (OpenPGP: 1024D/B4C5F37F)
              APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)