TrueMoble 1150 in Inspirons

  • asdf39471
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
      Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
      Inspiron?

      I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
      wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at

      http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
      spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555

      says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
      sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
      double check.

      A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
      Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
      or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

      Thanks
    • Brock Campbell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
        I have one and it works. make double sure you stay away form the 1180
        though. I haven't heard of anybody getting that dog to work under Linux
        yet.

        On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 14:18, asdf39471 wrote:
        > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
        > Inspiron?
        >
        > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
        > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
        >
        > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
        > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
        >
        > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
        > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
        > double check.
        >
        > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
        > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
        > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > click here

        Brock Campbell
        -- System Integration, Consulting, Disaster Recovery --
        --- Accelerated Technology ---
        -- brock@... (306)222-2259 --
        ----------- www.acceltech.ca -----------
      • Jonathan Steinert
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2003
          I have that exact card in my inspiron 8200.

          asdf39471 wrote:

          >Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
          >Inspiron?
          >
          >I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
          >wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
          >
          >http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
          >spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
          >
          >says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
          >sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
          >double check.
          >
          >A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
          >Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
          >or are there compatibility problems to worry about?
          >
          >Thanks

        • Dave Kristol
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "asdf39471"
            <altairyah@r...> wrote:
            > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
            > Inspiron?
            >
            > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
            > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
            >
            > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
            > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
            >
            > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
            > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
            > double check.
            >
            > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
            > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
            > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

            The TM 1150 works just dandy in my I8200. It uses the Orinoco chipset
            and is equivalent to an Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card. Most Linux distros
            seem to recognize it out-of-the-box (though they may choose different
            drivers for it for reasons I can't explain).

            To reiterate another post: stay away from the TrueMobile 1180, which
            has no Linux support, AFAIK.

            I think MiniPCI cards are supposed to be standard, but I have no
            experience either way.

            Dave Kristol
          • Mark Feit
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
              <altairyah@r...> wrote:

              > I'm in the market for a new laptop and want something with internal
              > wireless that works with linux. Their webpage at
              >
              > http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.a
              > spx?Sku=430-0903&category_id=4011&customer_id=555&c=us&l=en&cs=555
              >
              > says it is only for some Latitude models, but I called Dell and the
              > sales guy said that it would work in an Inspiron, but I'd like to
              > double check.

              Most Inspirons share a motherboard with their similar-spec Latitude
              cousins. I guess Dell figures business will pony up the extra dough
              for the Latitude name.

              > A more general question: I've never owned a laptop with MiniPCI in it.
              > Are MiniPCI cards as universal and standard as PCI cards in desktops,
              > or are there compatibility problems to worry about?

              MiniPCI is a specification for small-form-factor cards that implement
              a subset of the PCI bus. Anything bearing the MiniPCI name should pop
              just fine into the slot on your laptop. Driver availability is a
              whole different can of worms...

              -- Mark
            • J.C. Wren
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                I dual boot my 8500 w/ 1150, and under Linux it works fine. Windows seems to
                realize a card is present, but won't do anything with it. It neither uses it
                as a network device, and nor lets me upgrade it (the upgrade utility says "no
                driver instaleld for device").

                --John
              • Frank Wales
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2003
                  On 07/31/03 21:18, asdf39471 wrote:
                  > Is anyone here using a TrueMoble 1150 MiniPCI 802.11b card in an
                  > Inspiron?

                  I'm currently using an 1150 in my 8500; the only problem is that
                  one of the two internal aerial leads is a little too short to
                  reach the card, but it works fine with the one lead that does reach.

                  I dual boot WinXP and RedHat9 (with a custom 2.4.22 kernel), and I
                  have working wireless networking in both.
                  --
                  Frank Wales [frank@...]