Re: i8200, RH9, Wireless inconsistency

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 30, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Dan Smith <junk@d...> wrote:
      > Hey all--
      >
      > I've had an i8200 for a year now. The integrated wireless card (the
      > one that acts like a fake pcmcia orinoco gold) has *always* given me
      > trouble. I'm experiencing extremely strange behavior: some web sites
      > pop right up, some load half-way and stall indefinitely, some never
      > come up at all. I can only ssh to or from the laptop using SSH1, not
      > SSH2.
      >
      > I thought the problems were related to the system using ACPI for
      > interrupt handling. When I switched to 2.4.21 with the latest ACPI
      > patches, I got better performance from the card (it used to pause for
      > long periods during heavy load), but the flakiness still exists.
      >
      > Can anyone help? Are there some hidden tweaks I can apply? It is
      > *very* annoying.
      >
      > I'm using the laptop with a Linksys BEFW11S4 Router+AP, but it's only
      > acting as an AP to a network with a linux NAT router.

      I had connectivity problems with a BEFW11S4, though I was using it as
      both a router and AP. I've got an i8200 with TrueMobile 1150, running
      RH 8. The system selects wvlan_cs (!) for the driver. (I haven't
      installed a pcmcia_cs separately.)

      Short version: I would get terrible throughput between my laptop and
      the Internet (via Comcast cable modem). For some time I thought the
      problem was with Comcast and the cable modem, and I even had a tech.
      at my house for two hours, troubleshooting. Comcast concluded the
      problem was not theirs, but I wasn't convinced.

      In desperation, I replaced the Linksys with an SMC 7004VWBR AP/router.
      Poof! My problems vanished. I won't claim the same will be true for
      you, but I now have a dim view of Linksys hardware and would be wary
      of it.

      Dave Kristol
    • Dan Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2003
        > In desperation, I replaced the Linksys with an SMC 7004VWBR AP/router.
        > Poof! My problems vanished. I won't claim the same will be true for
        > you, but I now have a dim view of Linksys hardware and would be wary
        > of it.

        Well, I've been using Linksys products for quite some time now and
        have never had any problems, other than this (which I'm not sure is
        necessarily a Linksys deal). Other windows laptops on the same AP
        work fine, which is always a good benchmark of whether or not the
        hardware is performing to expectations (of the manufacturer).

        I had, before moving to ACPI, been using another linux machine with a
        wireless card as my "access point" (meaning just an Ad-Hoc setup).
        The problems existed there too, but acted more like the pre-ACPI
        problems than the post-ACPI ones.

        Other than that I've never tried the machine on a non-Linksys AP
        (since everyone I know has taken my recommendation :), so I'm not sure
        if the problem would go away with a transition to another brand.

        Anyway, shortly after writing the mail last night, I upgraded from
        version 0.13a to 0.13e of orinoco_cs (an upgrade that I thought would
        be a nice waste of time). After switching to version 0.13e *all* of
        my problems seem to have disappeared! I'm getting great throughput,
        can hit all webpages, and can SSH using v2! I have no idea why
        version 0.13e fixed the problems, and I didn't find a ChangeLog to
        show some major change.

        If anyone else is having trouble, I would recommend an upgrade to
        0.13e! I did it without a kernel recompile, so it was relatively
        painless.

        --Dan

        PS> Are other people using ACPI to alleviate interrupt/performance
        PS> issues?
      • Dan Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2003
          > Are you using the standard kernel drivers for your wireless card? The
          > orinoco drivers (orinoco_cs, hermes)?

          Yes, I am. As you can see from my soon-to-be-delivered mail, I just
          upgraded to 0.13e.

          > If so, you should know that they are crap and give frequent drop-outs
          > and disconnects. You should consider using the linux-wlan-ng driver
          > (www.linux-wlan.com). I changed over and haven't had a single problem
          > since.

          I wasn't aware that the wlan-ng drivers were more mature than the
          orinoco_cs drivers. Perhaps I'll give them a try...

          Thanks!

          --Dan
        • Daevid Vincent
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2003
            Why aren't the wlan-ng drivers shipped as modules for the RedHat 8 kernels?
            It seems to me that the prism cards are by far superior and definitely most
            popular for linux users (especially for running a linux WAP). I believe RH9
            has support for prism cards, but I don't want to re-install everything just
            to get this working (and believe me, I already tried, but ghosted my drive
            back to RH8 from Shrike as there was just too much re-configuring to do.

            Daevid Vincent
            http://daevid.com