[linux-dell-laptops] touchpad driver

  • vchoh@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 1999
      I am happy to report that I'm posting this via linux. Was having
      problems before getting the network card set up but seems that by
      re-installing the distributions over and over again, the computer
      somehow gets configured correctly. Tried Mandrake 6.0, 6.1 and Caldera
      Open Linux 2.3 several times. Ended up with the Caldera Open Linux
      because of the video driver (which allows me to have a 24-bit 1024x768
      screen -- couldn't ever get beyond 16-bit for Mandrake).

      My biggest beef so far is that I've lost the edge motion of the
      touchpad (that and loss of audio, reading over all those other pages,
      I'm kinda prepared). i know that a lot of people don't like using the
      touchpad, but I do, especially when trying to scroll down those long
      documents. One of the dell I3500 linux pages says that one needs to
      use a program called tpconfig but that one shouldn't even try it
      because the I3500's just aren't configurable. Does anyone know if this
      is still true? I'd hate to have to go back to win98 just because I can
      get around my computer better using that OS! Should I try it anyway
      (given that I'm alright with line commands in general, but shudder to
      think of recompiling kernels and the like)?

      Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

      Thanks!

      Viv
    • AndreaG287@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 1999
        Are you using X Windows ? I have the ATI 3D Rage Mobility Pro with 8MB Video
        RAM and I am having trouble configuring X Windows.