Wi-Fi Card DWL 650+

  • hgro_1118
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 25, 2003
      I have been trying for a couple days to connect to my wireless lan
      via my laptop does anyone know of a website with information about
      wireless and linux?
    • Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 2003
        On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 01:38, hgro_1118 wrote:
        > I have been trying for a couple days to connect to my wireless lan
        > via my laptop does anyone know of a website with information about
        > wireless and linux?

        If you do a google search for 'linux wireless', and push the "i'm
        feeling lucky"-buttin, you will be taken to the canonical site for
        everything wireless and linux.

        The adress is

        http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/

        --
        Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun <ketil@...>
      • pben2
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 27, 2003
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "hgro_1118"
          <hgro_1118@y...> wrote:
          > I have been trying for a couple days to connect to my wireless lan
          > via my laptop does anyone know of a website with information about
          > wireless and linux?

          The DWL-650+ is based upon the TI ACX100 chipset. There are a couple
          of links to a binary only driver and the beginnings of an open source
          driver. Linux users have to be careful on hardware purchases because
          Linux is not as popular as Windows. It will take some work on your
          part but you should be able to get the card to work.

          http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
          http://www.ivor.it/wireless/acx.html
        • hgro_1118
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 27, 2003
            I just found the tools I need but I don't believe I intalling the
            binary files correctly, do you know of a howto on installing binary
            files.

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "pben2" <pben2@y...>

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 27, 2003

              wrote:
              > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "hgro_1118"
              > <hgro_1118@y...> wrote:
              > > I have been trying for a couple days to connect to my wireless
              lan
              > > via my laptop does anyone know of a website with information
              about
              > > wireless and linux?
              >
              > The DWL-650+ is based upon the TI ACX100 chipset. There are a
              couple
              > of links to a binary only driver and the beginnings of an open
              source
              > driver. Linux users have to be careful on hardware purchases
              because
              > Linux is not as popular as Windows. It will take some work on your
              > part but you should be able to get the card to work.
              >
              > http://acx100.sourceforge.net/
              > http://www.ivor.it/wireless/acx.html
            • Gwen M. Morse
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 29, 2003
                I have a floppy drive and second hard drive that plug into the removable
                media bay on my Inspiron 8200. What (if anything) can I do to enable
                allowing me to hot swap them while Redhat 9 is running.

                Also, as a secondary issue, I can't even plug in the floppy drive as part
                of rebooting. The Linux reboot drops out to the basic shell if I remove the
                hard drive and plug in the floppy "at all". So, even if it's not possible
                to hot swap while Linux is running, it would be helpful to have it
                explained how to switch the drives when the system is shut down and then
                rebooted.

                Gwen

                --
                Gwen Morse (Dell Inspiron 8200 bought 9/2002 Service Tag: 1Z9LT11)
                P4-m 1.7. 15" UXGA screen. 384 megs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce4 440 64 meg DDR
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 29, 2003
                  I have the card working now I just need to get it to initalize upon
                  the boot up? can anyone guide me in the right direction?

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun
                  <ketil@b...> wrote:
                  > On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 01:38, hgro_1118 wrote:
                  > > I have been trying for a couple days to connect to my wireless
                  lan
                  > > via my laptop does anyone know of a website with information
                  about
                  > > wireless and linux?
                  >
                  > If you do a google search for 'linux wireless', and push the "i'm
                  > feeling lucky"-buttin, you will be taken to the canonical site for
                  > everything wireless and linux.
                  >
                  > The adress is
                  >
                  > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/
                  >
                  > --
                  > Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun <ketil@b...>
                • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 29, 2003
                    On my 8200, I have a CD-RW and floppy for the hot swap bay. If I boot with the CD in the bay, I'm able to pull it out so long as it isn't in use and run the floppy just fine. I can then remove the floppy when I'm done and put the CD back in, and run fine. Maybe somehow it's different with the hard drive, though I wouldn't imagine how. What distro are you running? I'm running Slackware 8.1... though it shouldn't matter, technically speaking.

                    "Gwen M. Morse" <renniefan@...> wrote:

[...]

                    Sing me a song, you're a singer Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil The devil is never a maker The less that you give, you're a taker So it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hell Oh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • Gwen M. Morse
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 30, 2003
                      At 01:07 AM 7/30/2003, "W.K. Vladmir Ward" wrote:

                      >On my 8200, I have a CD-RW and floppy for the hot swap bay. If I boot with
                      >the CD in the bay, I'm able to pull it out so long as it isn't in use and
                      >run the floppy just fine. I can then remove the floppy when I'm done and
                      >put the CD back in, and run fine. Maybe somehow it's different with the
                      >hard drive, though I wouldn't imagine how. What distro are you running?
                      >I'm running Slackware 8.1... though it shouldn't matter, technically speaking.

                      I'm running Redhat 9.

                      I'm not able to hot-swap between the floppy and the hard drive and would
                      very much like to be able to. Is there any more information I can provide
                      that would better help to troubleshoot this?

                      Gwen

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 30, 2003
                        I've been doing alot of travelling, but, because I pay my own way, I fly
                        super-cheap coach. That means, no power adapters on my flight. So, I'm
                        limited to battery power.

                        I'd like to be able to watch DVD's on flights, and/or play games. Both of
                        which obviously suck alot of power.

                        I've found some general tips for reducing power draw, but, I was wondering
                        if there's a site (or archives) that go over the little tiny "finicky"
                        details to really optimize power management? I saw a mention once about
                        reducing the power draw of your hard drive without significantly impacting
                        the speed, although, I never came across it again. Those are the sorts of
                        examples I'm looking for.

                        Gwen

                        --
                        Gwen Morse (Dell Inspiron 8200 bought 9/2002 Service Tag: 1Z9LT11)
                        P4-m 1.7. 15" UXGA screen. 384 megs RAM. NVIDIA GeForce4 440 64 meg DDR
                        video card. 24X CD-RW/DVD. Internal TrueMobile 1150 miniPCI card. Primary
                        60 gig drive running Windows 2000 and Redhat Linux 9. Second (removable
                        bay) 40 gig drive for WineX and Crossover Office programs.
                      • tvsjr
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jul 30, 2003
                          The best thing I could recommend would be to purchase a second battery pack
                          for the modular bay. I'm running a Latitude C840 (P4/2.0, 1GB RAM, 60GB
                          HDD, DVD/CDRW), and even under intensive usage (playing an audio CD while
                          running database queries under Oracle against multi-GB databases, compiling
                          in Visual Studio, etc. - I love Linux but I get paid to do development in
                          Windoze) I get 4-5 hrs. continuous with two batteries mounted. There are
                          also some external, much larger battery packs available out there which
                          could easily put you up to 12 hours... which should be enough to keep you busy!

                          Terry

                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
                            Interesting... I don't know what to say. My laptop
                            will let me pull the CD out so long as nothing is
                            mounted -- I assume you're unmounting anything from
                            the modular hard drive before pulling it -- and then
                            put the floppy in as normal. I'm pretty sure that fd0
                            is hard-coded into my kernel - it always shows fd0
                            initializing on my kernel boot even if I don't have
                            the floppy drive installed. Don't ask me too much
                            about that, because I'm not good with kernel stuff.
                            Strangely enough, the FreeBSD kernel config and
                            building was easier for me than Linux... but I
                            digress.

                            On the topic of FreeBSD, maybe there's something like
                            atacontrol available (for those who don't know,
                            atacontrol is a utility to de-init/re-init IDE
                            channels without rebooting... though it always caused
                            a kernel panic for me) for Linux. I'd sure be happy if
                            there were, because then I could swap out whatever
                            devices I've got for the bay (CD-RW, floppy, and
                            battery) and not have to worry about any reboots to
                            bring up the CD drive if it wasn't in at boot.

                            I found this also while I was on the phone before
                            sending this email. It's from a message board, the
                            link to which is after the message:

                            sync
                            umount /dev/hdN*
                            hdparm -U /dev/hdN
                            (remove old drive, put in new drive)
                            hdparm -R /dev/hdN
                            mount /dev/hdN*

                            http://www.egr.msu.edu/archives/public/linux-user/2003-February/007163.html

                            =====
                            Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
                              Adding to my previous message, it appears I'm an
                              idiot. This doesn't seem to work unless the channel is
                              recognized on boot by the kernel... meaning you'd have
                              to boot with the hard drive in in order to access it.

                              =====
                              Sing me a song, you're a singerDo me a wrong, you're a bringer of evilThe devil is never a makerThe less that you give, you're a takerSo it's on and on and on, it's heaven and hellOh well"Heavan and Hell" - Black Sabbath

                              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                            • Peter Hayes
                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
                                On Friday 01 August 2003 16:24, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                                > Adding to my previous message, it appears I'm an
                                > idiot. This doesn't seem to work unless the channel is
                                > recognized on boot by the kernel... meaning you'd have
                                > to boot with the hard drive in in order to access it.

                                What happens if you Fn + F1 to re-read the BIOS after swapping drives?

                                Peter