Inspiron 1100 Questions

  • aptpenguin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hi,
      I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1100 with the 2.0Ghz Celeron, and
      I've got Mandrake 9.1 installed.

      When I have ACPI _disabled_ (and APM takes over), I can call
      pmsuspend and it seems to do things ok, the laptop "suspends"
      eventually. Turning it back on, however, is a disaster. It doesn't
      go
      back to X, and dumps me to a virtual console.

      When I have ACPI _enabled_ nothing seems to work, although
      /proc/acpi/ is there and has some things in it.

      In neither case does Fn+Suspend actually suspend the machine.

      Does anyone know the proper way to get this working on this laptop
      (ie, shut lid, it suspends, hit Fn+Suspend and it suspends, etc)?

      Thanks,
      Chris
    • sean
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
        The DSDT that the BIOS provides for the i1100 is broken. You need to
        override the DSDT settings... I have a document that explains how to
        do so:
        http://emvis.net/~sean/linux-dell-inspiron-1100/ACPI.txt

        There's more than one way to do it, the ACPI website explains how to
        patch your DSDT into the kernel. The Dell Inspiron 5100 has the same
        DSDT definitions as the 1100, which is what I used to patch mine and
        build the kernel.

        As far as userspace applications for ACPI, there's not much. I have a
        "power button" application written in gtk-tcl that works in
        conjunction with acpid that I don't support anymore because gnocl (the
        gtk tcl library set) is rather finicky...

        http://emvis.net/~sean/projects/gacpic/

        Expect a gtk-perl rewrite in due time.

        If you have reservations about upgrading to 2.5.69, the method I used
        for my i1100, I also have a broadcom 4400 patch that works with 2.5...
        see my previous messages for more information on that. URL to that is

        http://emvis.net/~sean/linux-dell-inspiron-1100/files

        HTH

        --sean

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "aptpenguin"