I've recently been playing with the PCMCIA setup.
- inspiron 3700 450GT
- Lucent 56kbps modem (under some other label)
- Adaptec ava1460A slimscsi
- kernels 2.2.13, 2.2.16, 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test11
- pcmcia-cs 3.1.3 and 3.1.23
- suse 6.3 (originally) now on kde2 and xfree86 4.0
Had many problems getting the pcmcia cards to stop and start, seemed to be a
pcibus based problem with the irq's going astray somewhere. Solved by
building latest kernel WITHOUT 16 bit pccard support, CardBus support is
enabled but not pcmcia driver specific support.
Watchout for possible apm when suspending the system.
You may need to add a device description for your modem to the pcmcia config
file but cardmgr should then take care of things.
hope this helps,