Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Help with a linmodem

  • John Britton
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hi

      Read about following in an article in the last couple of days. The scanmodem
      program really worked for a journalist who purchased generic, i.e. cheap and
      nasty, winmodems but got them to work with linux.

      The following is an excerpt from www.linmodems.org

      "The FIRST step towards finding a Linux driver is identifying the modem's
      CHIPSET. The scanModem tool will help you. The manufacturer brand with model
      number are generally NOT informative in this regard. Modems from a single
      manufacturer can have different chips. But your documentation may have this
      critical information, so read it carefully. For PCI card modems, a database
      can be searched. A broader database is also available. Controller based
      modems utilize the "standard" serial drivers, while the winmodems in most
      newer PCs and laptops require their own drivers. General information on these
      issues is available at the Linmodem-Howto. Only after your chipset has been
      identified, should help on configuration & installation issues can be sought
      from the mailing list discuss@..., with archives , wherein
      discussions are many issues reside."

      Regards, John.

      On Wed 02 Jul 2003 10:04, Peter Hayes wrote:
      > On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:52:26AM -0000, aov22003 wrote:
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I am a new user to linux and spend most of my time on my linux
      > > partion. However, I can't get my linmodem to work, and that is
      > > keeping me from using Linux exclusively.
      > >
      > > I have an Inspiron 4150 running Redhat 9, and running lspci -v I see
      > > that I have a Conexant linmodem. I downloaded ltmodem for my kernel
      > > version from the FAQ's recommended website (heby.de), but KPPP still
      > > can't query my modem. What else can I do to get my linmodem working?
      > > I've worked on this for a while, and would really appreciate some help.
      >
      > Go to http://www.linuxant.com/drivers and hopefully you should find
      > something useful.
      >
      > If you still can't get it going, tell us how you've configured KPPP.
      >
      > Peter

      Centre for Bioengineering,
      Trinity College,
      University of Dublin,