RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Maestro 3

  • Rob Yale
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 1, 2001
      On the other hand, the drivers from 4Front Technologies
      (osslinux394a-2218-UP.tar)at http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi work
      great -- and only cost a measly $30. In addition, they offer tech support
      for the product. I have an Inspiron 4000, and it has the Maestro 3.

      Rob Yale

    • bowill@fas.harvard.edu
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 1, 2001
        From looking over various posts related to sound drivers for the
        Maestro 3, I've gotten the impression that the 4Front drviers are
        incomplete, at least in comparison to the alsa drivers. Do the
        4Front drivers offer line-in capability for recording,etc.? The alsa
        drivers do, along with all the other expected functionality. Do the
        4Front drivers offer anything that the alsa drivers don't?

        Now that the alsa drivers are working (and very well, I might add,
        from personal experience), I encourage anyone with a Maestro 3 card
        to give them a try. The idea of spending more for sound card drivers
        than for the rest of the operating system just seems strange to me :-)

        Cheers,
        Brandon

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Rob Yale" <robyale@s...>

      • T. Daniel Crawford
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 2, 2001
          Would it be possible to get a copy of your /etc/asound.conf file and the
          output from the "lsmod" command on your I8000? I get nothing from my ESS
          Maestro 3 when I follow your steps below, and I'd really like to get sound
          running.

          Thanks in advance,

          -Daniel

          --
          T. Daniel Crawford Department of Chemistry
          crawdad@... Virginia Tech

        • Paul L. McNeely
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 2, 2001
            Do you have sound support and module support compiled into your kernel?
            Don't be left behind: http://www.leftbehindfilmproject.com/
            Paul L. McNeely (paul@...)
            Backup E-mail: drderail@...
            Volunteer Editor: dmoz.org Webmaster: hotwv.org
            ICQ: 1305664, MSN/Yahoo: drderail, AIM: drderail2
            Jabber: drderail@...
            "A wise man conceals his knowledge
            while fools make clear foolish thoughts" - Proverbs 13:23
            Would it be possible to get a copy of your /etc/asound.conf file and the
            output from the "lsmod" command on your I8000? I get nothing from my ESS
            Maestro 3 when I follow your steps below, and I'd really like to get sound
            running.

            Thanks in advance,

            -Daniel

            --
            T. Daniel Crawford Department of Chemistry
            crawdad@... Virginia Tech
            www.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/crawford Voice: 540-231-7760 FAX: 540-231-3255

            On Mon, 1 Jan 2001 brianhef-egroups@... wrote:

            > The latest ALSA drivers (vesion 5.10) work well with the Maestro3
            > sound chip in my i8000 running Redhat 7.
            > Here is what I did to make it work.
            >
            > First, downloaded all three of theses file from alsa-project.org:
            > ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            > ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            > ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/alsa-utils-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            >
            > #untarred the files:
            > tar -Ixvf alsa-driver-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            > tar -Ixvf alsa-libs-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            > tar -Ixvf alsa-utils-0.5.10.tar.bz2
            >
            > #configure,make, and install:
            > cd alsa-driver-0.5.10; ./configure; make; su -c 'make install'
            > cd alsa-libs-0.5.10; ./configure; make; su -c 'make install'
            > cd alsa-utils-0.5.10; ./configure; make; su -c 'make install'
            >
            > added these lines to /etc/modules.conf (as root user):
            > #lines for alsa sound drivers
            > alias char-major-116 snd
            > alias char-major-14 soundcore
            > alias snd-minor-oss-0 snd-mixer
            > alias snd-minor-oss-3 snd-pcm1-oss
            > alias snd-minor-oss-4 snd-pcm1-oss
            > alias snd-minor-oss-5 snd-pcm1-oss
            > alias snd-minor-oss-12 snd-pcm1-oss
            > alias snd-card-0 snd-card-maestro3
            > alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
            >
            > In order to make the sound card work after resuming from suspend I
            > created (as root user) a file /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmcontinue
            > with these lines :
            > /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
            > /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
            > /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
            >
            > To start the sound modules, run (as root):
            > /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
            >
            > I think the /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound script (and maybe the
            > apmcontinue script) is Redhat-specific. I'm not sure how best to load
            > and unload the modules in other linux distrubtions, but it's probably
            > in the the alsa documentation.
            >
            > Most sound application I've tried work fine. I can record with a
            > microphone, play cd's, play soundfiles with mpg123 and xmms and mix
            > with the mixer. The gnome sound monitor applet and Extrace waveform
            > display aren't working for me, and the built-in physical
            > volume-control buttons on the Inspiron 8000 don't work either. Overall
            > the system is very usable, though.

            eGroups Sponsor

          • T. Daniel Crawford
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 2, 2001
              On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Paul L. McNeely wrote:

              > Do you have sound support and module support compiled into your kernel?

              Yes, I'm using the 2.2.16-22 kernel provided with RH7, which includes sound
              support. The modules are being loaded it appears, but I'm not experienced
              enough to debug this problem very efficiently:

              snd-pcm-oss 16656 0 (unused)
              snd-pcm-plugin 14224 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
              snd-mixer-oss 3936 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
              snd-card-maestro3 11584 0
              snd-pcm 29408 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin
              snd-card-maestro3]
              snd-timer 8064 0 [snd-pcm]
              snd-ac97-codec 23712 0 [snd-card-maestro3]
              snd-mixer 23328 0 [snd-mixer-oss snd-ac97-codec]
              snd 35664 1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin snd-mixer-oss snd-card-maestro3 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]
              soundcore 2608 2 [snd]

              Any direction from those more knowledgeable than I would be greatly
              appreciated.

              -Daniel
            • dubeys@bxscience.edu
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 2, 2001
                hey

                I have the same problem as he does. The drivers load; but nothing
                works. I get weird messages about /dev/dsp from mpg123 and xmms I
                am running linux 2.4-test12 with the minimum sound support required,
                and modules enabled.

                i've almost got the zabbo.net drivers to work. just the ac97_codec
                module seems to give me some trouble.

                As for the getting the sound blaster compat mode for the Maestro3...
                Everytime i'm about to "compile" the DOS hdimage, i get a really odd
                error message. I have contacted some far more advanced and
                experinced DOSemu users. Hopefully they will help resolve the issue.

                I really want sound support. Everything else works. But using those
                OSS/Price drivers really suck.

                =)

                Sunny Dubey

                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "T. Daniel Crawford"
                <crawdad@v...> wrote:
                > On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Paul L. McNeely wrote:
                >
                > > Do you have sound support and module support compiled into your
                kernel?

                > Yes, I'm using the 2.2.16-22 kernel provided with RH7, which
                includes sound
                > support. The modules are being loaded it appears, but I'm not
                experienced
                > enough to debug this problem very efficiently:
                >
                > snd-pcm-oss 16656 0 (unused)
                > snd-pcm-plugin 14224 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
                > snd-mixer-oss 3936 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
                > snd-card-maestro3 11584 0
                > snd-pcm 29408 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin
                > snd-card-maestro3]
                > snd-timer 8064 0 [snd-pcm]
                > snd-ac97-codec 23712 0 [snd-card-maestro3]
                > snd-mixer 23328 0 [snd-mixer-oss snd-ac97-codec]
                > snd 35664 1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin
                snd-mixer-oss snd-card-maestro3 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
                snd-mixer]
                > soundcore 2608 2 [snd]
                >
                > Any direction from those more knowledgeable than I would be greatly
                > appreciated.
                >
                > -Daniel
              • Brian Hefferan
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 2, 2001
                  The alsa drivers are still working for me on my i8000, in fact I'm on
                  an mp3 bing right now ;>.

                  Here are couple more things to try:

                  1. try manually running the contents of the
                  /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmcontinue file I mentioned. That is, do
                  this as root (the first command assumes Redhat linux):

                  etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
                  /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
                  /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

                  2. The alsa drivers start with the mixer muted by default, so it need
                  to be unmuted before you get any sound. I started /usr/bin/alsamixer,
                  used the arrow keys to navigate and adjust volume levels, and used the
                  "m" key to toggle off the muting. Quit with the escape key. Once it's
                  unmuted it should stay unmuted even after a reboot.

                  I'm using the stock redhat 7 kernel (2.2.16-22) with no modification,
                  although I am running the latest pcmcia drivers from Sourcforge as you
                  suggested.

                  I did not make any changes to /etc/asound.conf, but here is what's in
                  mine:
                  # ALSA driver configuration
                  # This configuration is generated with the alsactl program.

                  soundcard("card1") {
                  mixer("ESS Maestro3") {
                  ; The type is 'bool'.
                  switch("AC97 Mono Output Select", false)
                  ; The type is 'bool'.
                  switch("AC97 Second MIC", false)
                  ; The type is 'bool'.
                  switch("ADC/DAC Loopback", false)
                  element("Input Gain Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 15
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 15
                  element("Input Gain Volume",0,200,Volume1(11,11))
                  element("Master Mono Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Master Mono Volume",0,200,Volume1(27))
                  element("Surround Switch",0,100,Switch1(on,on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Surround Volume",0,200,Volume1(25,25))
                  element("Master Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Master Volume",0,200,Volume1(27,27))
                  ; The 3D effect has an on/off switch.
                  ; Wide : Min 0 Max 3
                  element("Effect",0,600,_3D_Effect1(sw=off,wide=0))
                  element("Aux Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Aux Volume",0,200,Volume1(26,26))
                  element("Video Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Video Volume",0,200,Volume1(19,19))
                  element("CD Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("CD Volume",0,200,Volume1(26,26))
                  element("Line Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Line Volume",0,200,Volume1(23,23))
                  element("MIC Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("MIC Volume",0,200,Volume1(25))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 1
                  element("MIC Boost",0,200,Volume1(0))
                  element("Phone Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("Phone Volume",0,200,Volume1(22))
                  element("PC Speaker Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 15
                  element("PC Speaker Volume",0,200,Volume1(12))
                  element("PCM Switch",0,101,Switch2(on))
                  ; Voice 0 : Min 0 Max 31
                  ; Voice 1 : Min 0 Max 31
                  element("PCM Volume",0,200,Volume1(13,13))
                  element("Mono Output MUX",0,401,Mux2(element("Mono-Out
                  Accumulator",0,301))) element("Input
                  MUX",0,400,Mux1(element("Line",0,0),element("Line",0,0)))
                  }
                  }

                  Here are the results I get from /sbin/lsmod:
                  Module Size Used by
                  snd-pcm-oss 16460 0
                  snd-pcm-plugin 14248 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
                  snd-mixer-oss 3924 0 [snd-pcm-oss]
                  snd-card-maestro3 11604 0
                  snd-pcm 29464 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin
                  snd-card-maestro3]
                  snd-timer 8064 0 [snd-pcm]
                  snd-ac97-codec 23680 0 [snd-card-maestro3]
                  snd-mixer 23356 0 [snd-mixer-oss snd-ac97-codec]
                  snd 35820 1 [snd-pcm-oss snd-pcm-plugin
                  snd-mixer-oss snd-card-maestro3 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec
                  snd-mixer]
                  soundcore 2596 2 [snd]
                  binfmt_misc 3280 0
                  ltmodem 453200 0 (unused)
                  ds 6248 2
                  i82365 21552 2
                  pcmcia_core 43776 0 [ds i82365]
                  lockd 31176 1 (autoclean)
                  sunrpc 52964 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
                  eepro100 16180 1 (autoclean)
                  usb-uhci 19052 0 (unused)

                  (the eepro100 line is for the intel-based modem/network card that
                  shipped with my machine. I think other i8000s use a 3com card instead)

                  Let me know if you still have trouble.
                  ---Brian

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 3, 2001
                    Brian,

                    You were correct: the card was muted and I had to adjust it using a mixer
                    program. Everything works great now, those some test MPEGs with audio just
                    give static when played with either plaympeg or gtv.

                    I am maintaining an I8000/RH7.0 web page and I have added your steps for
                    getting the alsa drivers working. Do you mind if I add your name to the
                    page to give you proper credit?

                    http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000

                    Thanks for your help!

                    -Daniel

                  • rajeeva@research.bell-labs.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 12, 2001
                      Hi I have a Dell C800 with Maestro 3 card. I downloaded and installed
                      the alsa sound driver. But when I run /etc/init.d/alsasound restart, I
                      get a lot of unresolved symbols in loading sound modules. Any idea,
                      what could be wrong here.

                      Thanks,

                      rajeev

                    • khirbat@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 12, 2001
                        Try insmod /path/to/snd-card-maestro3.o

                        Make sure that you have the soundcore.o module. If you don't, you will
                        need to compile it from your kernel source. Exactly which unresolved
                        symbols did it complain about?

                        bye :)
                        Anmol

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 12, 2001
                          Here are the unresoved symbols I get

                          Thanks,

                          rajeev

                          [root@toy /root]# lsmod
                          Module Size Used by
                          ide-cd 23756 0 (autoclean)
                          soundcore 2980 0 (unused)
                          ds 6280 2
                          i82365 21972 2
                          pcmcia_core 50400 0 [ds i82365]
                          autofs 9252 1 (autoclean)
                          lockd 31656 1 (autoclean)
                          sunrpc 54116 1 (autoclean) [lockd]
                          3c59x 20100 1 (autoclean)
                          usb-uhci 20140 0 (unused)
                          usbcore 44392 1 [usb-uhci]

                          [root@toy /root]# insmod snd-card-maestro3
                          Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          schedule_timeout_R17d59d01
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pci_compat_set_driver_data_Rsmp_01a6c77e
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_device_new_Rsmp_39369ef6
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_kcalloc_Rsmp_4da9e78a
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          __const_udelay_Reae3dfd6
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          pci_write_config_dword_Rf0fbd200
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          pci_read_config_dword_R2ca7e89f
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_register_interrupt_Rsmp_354a50df
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_new_Rsmp_8323dc87
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          synchronize_irq_R143bb217
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_register_ioport_Rsmp_37c19a3c
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_lib_transfer_size_Rsmp_87ca03df
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          sprintf_R3c2c5af5
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_lib_transfer_fragment_Rsmp_ac2a6c0e
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_format_width_Rsmp_6b077f05
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_ac97_mixer_Rsmp_663bf4d9
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_card_register_Rsmp_5677d3af
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_dma_alloc_Rsmp_8dfb5d8d
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_card_new_Rsmp_c9ccfdc1
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pci_compat_unregister_driver_Rsmp_79f04768
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          pci_set_master_R040f6432
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_dma_free_Rsmp_acf11253
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          printk_R1b7d4074
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_register_dma_channel_Rsmp_60fef1cb
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pci_compat_register_driver_Rsmp_0127e0d2
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_card_free_Rsmp_2f585365
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_lib_ioctl_Rsmp_c628453f
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_ac97_write_lock_Rsmp_a1b26167
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pci_compat_get_driver_data_Rsmp_218aad51
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          snd_pcm_transfer_done_Rsmp_a6e2f468
                          /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: unresolved symbol
                          _snd_kfree_Rsmp_17cd9200
                          [root@toy /root]#

                          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, khirbat@y... wrote:
                          > Try insmod /path/to/snd-card-maestro3.o
                          >
                          > Make sure that you have the soundcore.o module. If you don't, you
                          will
                          > need to compile it from your kernel source. Exactly which unresolved
                          > symbols did it complain about?
                          >
                          > bye :)
                          > Anmol
                          >
                          > On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 rajeeva@r... wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi I have a Dell C800 with Maestro 3 card. I downloaded and
                          installed
                          > > the alsa sound driver. But when I run /etc/init.d/alsasound
                          restart, I
                          > > get a lot of unresolved symbols in loading sound modules. Any
                          idea,
                          > > what could be wrong here.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > rajeev

                        • T. Daniel Crawford
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 12, 2001
                            Take a look at /lib/modules/2.2.16-23/modules.dep and see if there's a
                            snd-card-maestero3.o entry. If not, then all the other modules on which
                            that one depends are not being loaded automagically. You'll need to run a
                            depmod before the insmod command for this to work. At least, I hope that's
                            all there is to it. :)

                            -Daniel

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 14, 2001
                              There is an entry for maestro-3 card in modules.dep. And I am getting
                              unresolved symbols in all those dependent modules as well. Any idea
                              what could be wrong here.

                              Thanks,

                              rajeev

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 15, 2001
                                On Sun, 14 Jan 2001 rajeeva@...-labs.com wrote:

                                > There is an entry for maestro-3 card in modules.dep. And I am getting
                                > unresolved symbols in all those dependent modules as well. Any idea
                                > what could be wrong here.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > rajeev

                                Rajeev,

                                I took another look at your post in which you listed the unresolved symbols
                                for snd-card-maestro3 and I have two questions:

                                (1) The symbol names all have an "smp" modifier. For example, one of the
                                symbols is: snd_register_ioport_Rsmp_37c19a3c. Now, in my also-driver
                                package, I find a symbol snd_register_ioport_R37c19a3c in the module snd.o.
                                Did you somehow compile the alsa-driver package with SMP support turned on?
                                If so, do you actually have an smp laptop? If you don't, you'll probably
                                need to recompile the also code without smp modules.

                                (2) What happens if you try to insmod snd.o? That's a low-level module
                                that doesn't seem to be loaded first automatically.

                                We should be able to figure this out soon!

                                -Daniel

                                --
                              • wolf_michael@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 19, 2001
                                  I believe I did exactly these. All was well until

                                  # /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
                                  Shutting down sound driver: alsactl: No soundcards found...
                                  done
                                  Starting sound driver: snd-card-maestro3 done
                                  No mixer config in /etc/asound.conf, you have to unmute your card!
                                  #

                                  Then I try to run 'alsamixer' but fail with
                                  alsamixer: failed to open mixer #0/#0: No such file or directory

                                  And running gmix is hardly better -- I just get a diagnostic message
                                  saying no mixers found, make sure you have sound support compiled into
                                  the kernel. I'm running RedHat7.0 fresh out of the box, basically.

                                  Thoughts? Help?

                                  Thanks,

                                  Michael

                                • Jan Marius Evang
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 20, 2001
                                    I had the same problem.

                                    After rebooting, the problem was gone

                                    MArius

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 20, 2001
                                      Maybe your mixer module isn't loaded. Try this as root:

                                      /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound restart
                                      /sbin/modprobe snd-mixer-oss
                                      /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss

                                      Then see if you can unmute the mixer.

                                      I put these same commands in my apmcontinue script, but sometimes I
                                      need to run them after rebooting or else the sound doesn't work.

                                      --Brian

                                    • laseryq@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 25, 2001

                                        I got an error message when I compiled the alsa-driver-0.5.10.
                                        It said:

                                        wavefront.c: In function 'wavefront_wait':
                                        wavefront.c:307: structure has no member named 'loops_per_sec'

                                        Anybody know what's the problem and how to solve that?

                                        Thanks a lot.

                                        Feng

                                      • Steve Cassidy
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
                                          On Monday 26 March 2001 14:25, laseryq@... wrote:
                                          > Hi,
                                          >
                                          > I got an error message when I compiled the alsa-driver-0.5.10.
                                          > It said:
                                          >
                                          > wavefront.c: In function 'wavefront_wait':
                                          > wavefront.c:307: structure has no member named 'loops_per_sec'

                                          I got this when compiling an older version of alsa on debian potato.
                                          loops_per_sec isn't defined in 2.2.18pre21 but wavefront.c now contains the
                                          line:

                                          #if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(2,2,18) && LINUX_VERSION_CODE <
                                          KERNEL_VERSION(2,3,0)
                                          #define loops_per_sec loops_per_jiffy*HZ
                                          #endif

                                          you might need to check that this is being triggered.

                                          I just built the newer alsa module and now get this error when trying to
                                          start things up:

                                          Starting sound driver: snd-card-maestro3
                                          /lib/modules/2.2.18pre21/misc/snd-card-maestro3.o: init_module: Device or
                                          resource busy
                                          Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
                                          invalid IO or IRQ parameters

                                          the parameters referred to in the earlier message didn't include IRQ and IO
                                          parameters, are the required and what might sensible values be?

                                          Steve