[linux-dell-laptops] how compatible are kernels between laptops?

  • vchoh@sciborg.uwaterloo.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 1999
      hi all,

      1) was wondering about the different dell laptop models and whether
      suggestions made for one model type are applicable to other models.
      Are suggestions for the I7500 also good for the I3500s (and vice
      versa), and are suggestions for the Latitudes good for Inspirons (and
      vice versa)?

      2) have been trying out a bunch of linux distributions (tried mandrake
      6.0 a couple of times, recently loaded up caldera open linux 2.3, but
      don't like the config programs there. will be trying out mandrake 6.1
      as soon as i can get a cd burned). seem to always be running into the
      same problems:

      o audio is lousy. did manage to get the cd player working but the
      .wav files were sh*t. did the soundconfig thing but funnily enough,
      the irq's didn't get have to be replaced. unless that was the reason
      why the .wav files were lousy? i ran the soundcfg thing a coupla times
      with all the different types of cards (sb is the only one i can
      remember off-hand).

      o i seem to always be getting grainy pictures when opening up images
      (am using KDE if that's relevant). does this have anything to do with
      true colour (24- or 32-bit?). Because no matter what i do (running
      xconfigurator), i can't seem to get the true colour at 1024x768 option.
      took a look at some of the kernels that were posted here (forget
      whose, sorry) and noticed those with "unknown" as the monitor (rather
      than "lcd") had the true colour 1024x768 option. tried changing the
      video drivers, but didn't want to fool around too much with that since
      i don't really know what i'm doing.

      o i also have problems getting outside of my own network at the
      university, but i suspect that's a network problem, and not really
      dell-laptop related. of course, any suggestions would be welcome!
      this is quite tedious, because in order to do simple things like check
      my email, i have to keep going back to win98...

      o i can't seem to write to a vfat partition when i'm just a normal
      user (but i can as root). i'm pretty sure it's also not dell-specific
      (must be something wrong in the fstab file, although what i'm not sure
      since i basically followed the manual i was reading). but if someone
      could confirm that the problem is not dell-specific, that'd be great
      (if someone could give me the solution, it'd be even better!!) 8^)

      thanks in advance for your help.

      viv