Inspiron 8000 & Latitude C800 @ 1400x1050 & Mandrake 7.2

  • Andreas Heilwagen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2000

      I uploaded some files into a new path on egroups. You will find
      some duplicate file compared with the stuff posted up to now by
      other people. I try to collect the working stuff for the Latitude
      C800 in one place. It seems to work the same way like on the
      Inspiron 8000.

      Here are my current findings and configs:

      o Mandrake 7.2 does not allow to skip PCMCIA support during
      installation in contrast to older Mandrake and RedHat
      releases. If you want to install it anyway, take the
      mdkinst_stage2.gz file from egroups. After copying your
      first and optionally second Mandrake CD (or FTP stuff)
      on your harddisk, overwrite the old mdkinst_stage2.gz file.
      The new file has been patched to ignore PCMCIA completely.
      I did not try to get PCMCIA running on the C800 since
      I have everything on-board.

      o You can get a decent resolution while booting by enabling
      the VESA framebuffer driver in your kernel (it is enabled in
      the installation kernel). To run 1280x1024, add 'vga=794' to
      you lilo or grub parameters.

      o I uploaded two XFree config files to run X based on the VESA
      framebuffer driver @ 1280x1024. However that driver is not
      accelerated. The hack-kernel from Mandrake 7.2 has problems
      in compiling, so I did not try that kernel. The ati console
      driver in 2.2.17 however does not seem to support the
      ATI Rage 128 Mobility M4 chip.

      o The accelerated X driver as well as a config have been posted
      by other people. So the best results can be achived by putting
      the r128 driver from egroups into your XFree 4.01 and installing
      the X-config for the M4 chip I uploaded.

      As soon as I get more stuff running or improve the configurations, I
      will
      upload them.

      Regards,

      Andreas.