Re: Inspiron 8000 pointing stick

  • Jim McKean
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2000
      Its not the touch pad, but the pointing stick -- that little eraser-
      head thingie that's tucked between the G, H, and B keys -- that I
      want to disable. Does anyone know the name of the symbolic link for
      this device or (maybe a better question) where I can find it?

      If I can find it, I am thinking of just breaking that link in a late
      start-up script. There is a /dev/pointer s-link, but "pointer" can
      mean a lot of things and I am a little nervous about breaking it.

      Thanks,

      Jim

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, georgehu@m... wrote:
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Jim McKean" <jim@m...>
      wrote:
      > > I have an I8000 dual booting to RedHat 7 and Win2k. There is a
      > > problem that has emerged on this machine related to the "tap to
      > click"
      > > feature of the pointing stick. The hardware apparently generates
      > > spurious clicks, sometimes right clicks, as the user is typing.
      It