Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Linux from Scratch?

  • andy Unkown
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 4 3:21 PM
      Hello,
      > What step were you trying when the system halted?
      :) I don't remember, it was about two months ago. I
      will start up again. I will keep the list posted.
      Regards,
      Andrew
      --- Ken Witherow <phantoml666@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, andy Unkown wrote:
      >
      > > Hello List,
      > > For those of you who tried Linux From Scratch and
      > got
      > > it working, how did you "create a new partition"
      > in
      > > chapter 3 of LFS book? I have I81K, 1Ghz, 512RAM
      > with
      > > RH9. While installing RH9, I created a /LFS
      > partition
      > > as mentioned in the book. Follow the direction
      > and
      > > the system halted on my somewhere in chapter 6.
      > The
      > > only deviation from the book was creating /LFS
      > while I
      > > was intalling RH9, instead of using fdisk or other
      > > disk partitioning utility. I don't think this
      > would
      > > be a problem, would it? Or do I have to use disk
      > > partitioning utility to create /LFS?
      >
      > I used fdisk to create the LFS partition
      >
      > What step were you trying when the system halted?
      >
      > --
      > Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
      > ICQ: 21840670 AIM: phantomlordken
      > http://www.krwtech.com/ken

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Howard Richter
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 4 6:30 PM
        Message
        I have been using and playing with RedHat for some time and have versions 8 and 9 loaded on my home systems. I now want to play with a different build on install it on my p 300 Latitude.

        So what build should I play with next? Should I load two different builds and if so which ones (and How)?

        Thanks for your input,

        hbr

        Howard Richter
        Home = (770) 992-5582
        Cell   = (678) 575-1143
        Fax  = (786) 551-3273
        E-Mail =
        hbr@...
        Web Site =
        www.richter-home.net
        Résumé  = http://www.richter-home.net/live/resume.html
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 5 10:32 AM
          Did the system actually halt, or just fail a compile? My machine couldn't compile glibc for some reason. I just gave up and am installing Gentoo right now.

          andy Unkown <salepho@...> wrote:
          Hello,
          > What step were you trying when the system halted?
          :)  I don't remember, it was about two months ago.  I
          will start up again.  I will keep the list posted.
          Regards,
          Andrew
          --- Ken Witherow <phantoml666@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, andy Unkown wrote:
          >
          > > Hello List,
          > >  For those of you who tried Linux From Scratch and
          > got
          > > it working, how did you "create a new partition"
          > in
          > > chapter 3 of LFS book?  I have I81K, 1Ghz, 512RAM
          > with
          > > RH9.  While installing RH9, I created a /LFS
          > partition
          > > as mentioned in the book.  Follow the direction
          > and
          > > the system halted on my somewhere in chapter 6.
          > The
          > > only deviation from the book was creating /LFS
          > while I
          > > was intalling RH9, instead of using fdisk or other
          > > disk partitioning utility.  I don't think this
          > would
          > > be a problem, would it?  Or do I have to use disk
          > > partitioning utility to create /LFS?
          >
          > I used fdisk to create the LFS partition
          >
          > What step were you trying when the system halted?
          >
          > --
          >        Ken Witherow <phantoml AT rochester.rr.com>
          >            ICQ: 21840670  AIM: phantomlordken
          >                http://www.krwtech.com/ken

          "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
          I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
          Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
          I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
          Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

          - Tool, "Third Eye"

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • Howard Richter
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 5 11:18 AM
            Message
            I just downloaded the loader for SuSE and am trying to install using ftp, but it is hanging up.

            Any ideas?

            Thanks,

            hbr

            Howard Richter
            Home = (770) 992-5582
            Cell   = (678) 575-1143
            Fax  = (786) 551-3273
            E-Mail =
            hbr@...
            Web Site =
            www.richter-home.net
            Résumé  = http://www.richter-home.net/live/resume.html
          • Ian Bell
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 5 1:49 PM
              On Thursday 05 Jun 2003 2:30 am, Howard Richter wrote:
              > I have been using and playing with RedHat for some time and have versions 8
              > and 9 loaded on my home systems. I now want to play with a different build
              > on install it on my p 300 Latitude.
              >
              > So what build should I play with next? Should I load two different builds
              > and if so which ones (and How)?
              >
              > Thanks for your input,
              >
              > hbr

              I personaly do not like rh8 and rh9 which is why I have stuck at 7.3 for a
              while. However I recently tried Mandrake 9.1 and liked it a lot. it has
              definite improvements over rh7.3 (like it auto detects my digital camera)
              without the yukky Bluecurve theme and it has a package installer that works
              on all rpms (which the rh one deosn't).

              Ian
            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 6 9:49 AM
                Hey all,

                Just wanted to say that I just set up Gentoo on
                another box, seems like it's running great so far! I
                got the 1.4_rc4 iso and made the CD from that. My NIC
                was recognized right off the boot, and I was able to
                do everything pretty well, unlike previous
                experiences, which were pretty bad.

                I do have a question, though. I'm to be using this
                machine as a server, I want to assign it a fixed
                address. This is all well and good until I have to try
                to get out on the net... it won't! I don't have too
                much experience with static IPs on Linux. On my
                FreeBSD machine I used the sysinstall utility to grab
                the needed info from DHCP and then set the IP. I
                imagine my DNS server is incorrect, more probably the
                gateway isn't right. Could someone give me a hand? I
                really don't have much experience with ifconfig. Thanks.

                =====

                "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

                - Tool, "Third Eye"

                http://calendar.yahoo.com
              • Brock Campbell
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 6 9:58 AM
                  Hey,

                  Gentoo uses a fairly (For Linux) intuitive config file structure in
                  /etc/conf.d/ . If you open /etc/conf.d/net you will see your networking
                  options layed out for you in a very well commented fasion. make the
                  appropriate changes run the appropriate /etc/init.d/net.ethx restart or
                  start and it should work.

                  On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 10:49, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                  > Hey all,
                  >
                  > Just wanted to say that I just set up Gentoo on
                  > another box, seems like it's running great so far! I
                  > got the 1.4_rc4 iso and made the CD from that. My NIC
                  > was recognized right off the boot, and I was able to
                  > do everything pretty well, unlike previous
                  > experiences, which were pretty bad.
                  >
                  > I do have a question, though. I'm to be using this
                  > machine as a server, I want to assign it a fixed
                  > address. This is all well and good until I have to try
                  > to get out on the net... it won't! I don't have too
                  > much experience with static IPs on Linux. On my
                  > FreeBSD machine I used the sysinstall utility to grab
                  > the needed info from DHCP and then set the IP. I
                  > imagine my DNS server is incorrect, more probably the
                  > gateway isn't right. Could someone give me a hand? I
                  > really don't have much experience with ifconfig. Thanks.
                  >
                  > =====
                  >
                  > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                  > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                  > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                  > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                  > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."
                  >
                  > - Tool, "Third Eye"

                  > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Brock Campbell
                  -----Network Analyst------
                  --Accelerated Technology--
                  ----brock@...----
                  -----www.acceltech.ca-----
                • Paul Gratz
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 6 10:55 AM
                    To add alittle more to what Brock said, if you have more than one ethernet card you will have to copy /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to /etc/init.d/net.eth1 because it will not exist otherwise. After doing that and editing /etc/conf.d/net properly it should work fine. You may want to then add the network to init by doing a "rc-update add net.eth1 default"
                    Paul

                    On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 11:58, Brock Campbell wrote:
                    Hey,

                    Gentoo uses a fairly (For Linux) intuitive config file structure in
                    /etc/conf.d/ . If you open /etc/conf.d/net you will see your networking
                    options layed out for you in a very well commented fasion. make the
                    appropriate changes run the appropriate /etc/init.d/net.ethx restart or
                    start and it should work.

                    On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 10:49, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                    > Hey all,
                    >
                    > Just wanted to say that I just set up Gentoo on
                    > another box, seems like it's running great so far! I
                    > got the 1.4_rc4 iso and made the CD from that. My NIC
                    > was recognized right off the boot, and I was able to
                    > do everything pretty well, unlike previous
                    > experiences, which were pretty bad.
                    >
                    > I do have a question, though. I'm to be using this
                    > machine as a server, I want to assign it a fixed
                    > address. This is all well and good until I have to try
                    > to get out on the net... it won't! I don't have too
                    > much experience with static IPs on Linux. On my
                    > FreeBSD machine I used the sysinstall utility to grab
                    > the needed info from DHCP and then set the IP. I
                    > imagine my DNS server is incorrect, more probably the
                    > gateway isn't right. Could someone give me a hand? I
                    > really don't have much experience with ifconfig. Thanks.
                    >
                    > =====
                    >
                    > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                    > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                    > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                    > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                    > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."
                    >
                    > - Tool, "Third Eye"

                    > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                    >
                    >                         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 6 11:08 AM
                      I did have the settings there for the static IP. the
                      addresing was okay; I could ping the machine from
                      other machines on the network, but I couldn't get out
                      to the internet. I had this same issue with the box
                      when I had Slackware on it.

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 6 11:14 AM
                        Here is mine for a machine that has eth1 static and eth0 dynamic (on a cable modem):

                        # /etc/conf.d/net:
                        # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/conf.d/net,v 1.7 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

                        # Global config file for net.* rc-scripts

                        # This is basically the ifconfig argument without the ifconfig $iface
                        #
                        #iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
                        #iface_eth1="207.170.82.202 broadcast 207.0.255.255 netmask 255.255.0.0"
                        iface_eth1="192.168.1.1 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"

                        # For DHCP set iface_eth? to "dhcp"
                        # For passing options to dhcpcd use dhcpcd_eth?
                        #
                        iface_eth0="dhcp"
                        #dhcpcd_eth0="..."

                        # For adding aliases to a interface
                        #
                        #alias_eth0="192.168.0.3 192.168.0.4"

                        # NB:  The next is only used for aliases.
                        #
                        # To add a custom netmask/broadcast address to created aliases,
                        # uncomment and change accordingly.  Leave commented to assign
                        # defaults for that interface.
                        #
                        #broadcast_eth0="192.168.0.255 192.168.0.255"
                        #netmask_eth0="255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0"

                        # For setting the default gateway
                        #
                        #gateway="eth0/192.168.0.1"

                        Thats pretty much all I had to do to make both work.  Getting NAT working was alittle more work...
                        Paul

                        =====

                        "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                        I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                        Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                        I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                        Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

                        - Tool, "Third Eye"

                        http://calendar.yahoo.com

                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM

                      • Brock Campbell
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 6 12:01 PM
                          When using static IP's make sure you set the gateway statement in
                          /etc/conf.d/net. also make sure to set your DNS servers in
                          /etc/resolv.conf DHCP will usually provide all this information so you
                          don't have to set it.

                          sorry I forgot that stuff

                          Brock Campbell
                          -----Network Analyst------
                          --Accelerated Technology--
                          ----brock@...----
                          -----www.acceltech.ca-----
                        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 6 1:06 PM
                            Ah! That's what I was looking for, thank you. I'll do
                            that on the machine as soon as I get to it.

                            Is there a way to view DNS servers defined by DHCP so
                            that I can set them to be the same as the
                            DHCP-assigned ones?

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 6 1:15 PM
                              When your computer is configured with DHCP look in /etc/resolv.conf . It
                              looks like DHCPCD saves your old resolv.conf info in /etc/resolv.conf.sv
                              then restores it on DHCPCD shutdown.

                              funny thing about Gentoo, it all seems so reasonable when you look at
                              it.

                              Brock Campbell
                              -----Network Analyst------
                              --Accelerated Technology--
                              ----brock@...----
                              -----www.acceltech.ca-----
                            • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 9 8:44 AM
                                That should be a big help, thanks. I'll try that when
                                I'm back on that machine this evening.

                                By the way, anyone know what I could use as an Xfree
                                driver for a Permedia2 video card? I can only get
                                something like 640x480 with 8 colors, or something.
                                Looks like absolute crap. Possibly a bad video mode?

                                === message truncated ===

                                =====

                                " December promise you have unto me
                                December whispers of treachery
                                December clouds are now covering me
                                December songs no longer I sing"

                                - Collective Soul, "December"

                                http://calendar.yahoo.com
                              • Keith Reuters [Pascal]
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 10 8:41 AM
                                  ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50
                                  route add default gateway 192.168.1.1

                                  should work, shouldn't it?

                                  Pascal.

                                  On Tuesday 10 June 2003 17:42, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
> [...]
                                  > sick of mucking around with this; I hate to say it (really really really
                                  > hate) but Windows had a lot smoother way of handling static IPs. Note that
                                  > I am in no way condoning the use of Windows.
                                  >
                                  > Brock Campbell <brock@...> wrote:
                                  > When your computer is configured with DHCP look in /etc/resolv.conf . It
                                  > looks like DHCPCD saves your old resolv.conf info in /etc/resolv.conf.sv
                                  > then restores it on DHCPCD shutdown.
                                  >
                                  > funny thing about Gentoo, it all seems so reasonable when you look at
                                  > it.
                                  >
                                  > > Ah! That's what I was looking for, thank you. I'll do
                                  > > that on the machine as soon as I get to it.
                                  > >
                                  > > Is there a way to view DNS servers defined by DHCP so
                                  > > that I can set them to be the same as the
                                  > > DHCP-assigned ones?
                                  > >
                                  > > --- Brock Campbell <brock@...> wrote:
                                  > > > When using static IP's make sure you set the gateway
                                  > > > statement in
                                  > > > /etc/conf.d/net. also make sure to set your DNS
                                  > > > servers in
                                  > > > /etc/resolv.conf DHCP will usually provide all this
                                  > > > information so you
                                  > > > don't have to set it.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > sorry I forgot that stuff

                                  > > > the

                                  > > > out

                                  > > > box

                                  > > > config

                                  > > > will

                                  > > > commented

                                  > > > on

                                  > > > far!

                                  > > > My

                                  > > > able

                                  > > > this

                                  > > > fixed

                                  > > > have to

                                  > > > have

                                  > > > my

                                  > > > probably

                                  > > > hand?

                                  > > > ifconfig.

                                  > > > new

                                  > > > seem

                                  > > > sync

                                  > > > Yahoo!

                                  > > > second sun...

                                  > > > pieces from the sand,

                                  > > > might have been.

                                  > > > so familiar...

                                  > > > familiar song..."

                                  > > > to Outlook(TM).

                                  > > > Terms of Service.
                                  > > > --
                                  > > > Brock Campbell
                                  > > > -----Network Analyst------
                                  > > > --Accelerated Technology--
                                  > > > ----brock@...----
                                  > > > -----www.acceltech.ca-----
                                  > >
                                  > > =====
                                  > >
                                  > > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                                  > > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                                  > > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                                  > > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                                  > > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."
                                  > >
                                  > > - Tool, "Third Eye"

                                  > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).

                                • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 10 8:42 AM

                                    Brock Campbell <brock@...> wrote:
> [...]

                                    > > familiar song..."
                                    > > >
                                    > > > - Tool, "Third Eye"

                                    > > > Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync
                                    > > to Outlook(TM).
                                    > > > http://calendar.yahoo.com
                                    > > >
                                    > > >                         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    > > Terms of Service.
                                    > > --
                                    > > Brock Campbell
                                    > > -----Network Analyst------
                                    > > --Accelerated Technology--
                                    > > ----brock@...----
                                    > > -----www.acceltech.ca-----
                                    > >

                                    > =====
                                    >
                                    > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                                    > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                                    > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                                    > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                                    > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

                                    Brock Campbell
                                    -----Network Analyst------
                                    --Accelerated Technology--
                                    ----brock@...----
                                    -----www.acceltech.ca-----

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 10 11:34 AM
                                      Yes... it should... and I hadn't thought of that.

                                      And I call myself a network admin *sighs*

                                      --- "Keith Reuters [Pascal]"
                                      <k.reuters@...> wrote:
                                      > ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50
                                      > route add default gateway 192.168.1.1
                                      >
                                      > should work, shouldn't it?
                                      >
                                      > Pascal.
                                      >

                                      > On Tuesday 10 June 2003 17:42, W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                      > wrote:
                                      > > Okay, help. When I try to set up the interface
                                      > static it hates me. I do the
                                      > > following: "ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50 netmask
                                      > 255.255.255.0 gateway
                                      > > 192.168.1.1 metric 1"
                                      > >
                                      > > This gives me an "unable to resolve gateway
                                      > address" error. Any ideas? I'm
                                      > > sick of mucking around with this; I hate to say it
                                      > (really really really
                                      > > hate) but Windows had a lot smoother way of
                                      > handling static IPs. Note that
                                      > > I am in no way condoning the use of Windows.
                                      > >
                                      > > Brock Campbell <brock@...> wrote:
                                      > > When your computer is configured with DHCP look in
                                      > /etc/resolv.conf . It
                                      > > looks like DHCPCD saves your old resolv.conf info
                                      > in /etc/resolv.conf.sv
                                      > > then restores it on DHCPCD shutdown.
                                      > >
                                      > > funny thing about Gentoo, it all seems so
                                      > reasonable when you look at
                                      > > it.
                                      > >
                                      > > > Ah! That's what I was looking for, thank you.
                                      > I'll do
                                      > > > that on the machine as soon as I get to it.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Is there a way to view DNS servers defined by
                                      > DHCP so
                                      > > > that I can set them to be the same as the
                                      > > > DHCP-assigned ones?

                                      > gateway
                                      > DNS
                                      > this

                                      > IP.

                                      > from
                                      > couldn't get

                                      > the

                                      > you

                                      > Ward

                                      > Gentoo

                                      > great so

                                      > that.

                                      > was

                                      > previous

                                      > using

                                      > don't

                                      > Linux. On

                                      > utility

                                      > the IP.

                                      > me a

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      =====

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 10 1:56 PM
                                        And I call myself a poor high school student living in France *sigh* ;-)

                                      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 10 2:14 PM
                                          I was a high school student until a couple days ago.
                                          And yes, I graduated, not dropped out. :)

                                          Started working at age 15 as a network
                                          administrator... sweet... :)

                                          Thanks for all the advice though. I knew jack about
                                          how Linux handled networking outside of DHCP. I almost
                                          feel confident enough to set up my server as a DHCP
                                          server now :)

                                          Which means I'll be back when that failes miserably...

                                          --- "Keith Reuters [Pascal]"
                                          <k.reuters@...> wrote:
                                          > And I call myself a poor high school student living
                                          > in France *sigh* ;-)
                                          >
                                          > On Tuesday 10 June 2003 20:34, W.K. Vladmir Ward
                                          > wrote:
                                          > > Yes... it should... and I hadn't thought of that.
                                          > >
                                          > > And I call myself a network admin *sighs*
                                          > >
                                          > > --- "Keith Reuters [Pascal]"
                                          > >
                                          > > <k.reuters@...> wrote:
                                          > > > ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.50
                                          > > > route add default gateway 192.168.1.1
                                          > > >
                                          > > > should work, shouldn't it?
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Pascal.
                                          > > >

                                          > > > On Tuesday 10 June 2003 17:42, W.K. Vladmir
                                          > Ward

                                          > interface
                                          > > >
                                          > > > static it hates me. I do the

                                          > netmask