OpenOffice.org

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Recently installed OOo on my laptop, from precompiled
      binaries. I'm pretty pleased with it, but it's often
      unbearably slow (at least in relation to the rest of
      my code-opted desktop). I've decided I'll leave it as
      is on the laptop, but for my desktop I don't want the
      lagginess that the precompiled gives me. So, I
      downloaded the sources.

      Problem #1: GPC (GNU Pascal Compiler) is apparently
      required to build OOo. GPC is also apparently compiled
      as a part of GCC, as you move the source tree from the
      GPC tarball to the GCC-ver/gcc folder.

      Problem #2: As if having to recompile GCC with GPC
      built in wasn't bad enough, GPC only works with some
      2.9x versions of GCC. I'd just downloaded 3.3,
      compiled and installed. The thought of having to
      compile 2.9x just to compile OOo gives me the shivers.

      Does anyone know if there's some NEWER version of GPC
      that will work with the 3.x series of GCC? I really
      don't relish going back to 2.9x and I'd really like to
      compile OOo with 3.3's optimizations.

      Thanks in advance.

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Pavel@Janik.cz
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        From: "W.K. Vladmir Ward" <web_raptor.geo@...>
        Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 10:35:13 -0700 (PDT)

        > Problem #1: GPC (GNU Pascal Compiler) is apparently
        > required to build OOo. GPC is also apparently compiled
        > as a part of GCC, as you move the source tree from the
        > GPC tarball to the GCC-ver/gcc folder.

        gpc is ftp://ftp.cs.man.ac.uk/pub/toby/gpc/gpc231.tar.Z
        --
        Pavel Janík

        How about BogoDegrees?
        -- Bill Pringlemeir in linux-kernel about using Kelvins
      • koalillo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          Huh, just for the record I've used both OOo binaries and compiled from
          sources (using a Gentoo ebuild, which is kinda easy), and IIRC, there
          was not a noticeable difference (as is nearly always the case with
          compiling/using binaries), it also takes a looot of time to build and
          loads of disk space.

          Anyway, I've checked the ebuild and it seems to use the gpc mentioned
          by the previous poster to compile... and it looks like uses gcc3...

          ftp://ftp.cs.man.ac.uk/pub/toby/gpc/gpc231.tar.Z

          > Recently installed OOo on my laptop, from precompiled
          > binaries. I'm pretty pleased with it, but it's often
          > unbearably slow (at least in relation to the rest of
          > my code-opted desktop). I've decided I'll leave it as
          > is on the laptop, but for my desktop I don't want the
          > lagginess that the precompiled gives me. So, I
          > downloaded the sources.
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
            --- koalillo <2075931@...> wrote:
            > Huh, just for the record I've used both OOo binaries
            > and compiled from
            > sources (using a Gentoo ebuild, which is kinda
            > easy), and IIRC, there
            > was not a noticeable difference (as is nearly always
            > the case with
            > compiling/using binaries), it also takes a looot of
            > time to build and
            > loads of disk space.

            I assumed both since the source tarball was 180mb. :)

            > Anyway, I've checked the ebuild and it seems to use
            > the gpc mentioned
            > by the previous poster to compile... and it looks
            > like uses gcc3...
            >
            > ftp://ftp.cs.man.ac.uk/pub/toby/gpc/gpc231.tar.Z

            Let's hope this works, but I'm thinking that was the
            same version I tried compiling into GCC3.3 last night.
            We'll see. :)

            =====

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
              Oh, sonofa...

              Now I don't know what the hell OOo wants. Both of you
              sent me links to the Genereic Polygon Clipper, while I
              thought that OOo wanted the GNU Pascal Compiler. Wtf,
              I'm really confuzzled now.

              =====