Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Latitude CSX DVD - can't access DVD drive

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      Enter the BIOS, there should be an option to boot from
      CD. Unless you're using a really old CD to do install
      from it probably will boot.

      What are you trying to install? Please tell me it
      isn't windows...

      --- pabloron <pabloron@...> wrote:
      > Hi. I have never had a laptop with only external DVD
      > as an input
      > device before now. How can I access the DVD drive
      > from the command
      > prompt so that I may install the Operating System?
      > The usual dir
      > d:\, etc. don't recognize the DVD drive and there is
      > no other means
      > of loading software onto the machine. help!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Paul

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • iriXx
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        even my ancient old Toshiba Satellite pentium 90mhz can boot from its
        external CD.... im sure it should work ok...

        W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
        > Enter the BIOS, there should be an option to boot from
        > CD. Unless you're using a really old CD to do install
        > from it probably will boot.
        >
        > What are you trying to install? Please tell me it
        > isn't windows...
        >
        > --- pabloron <pabloron@...> wrote:
        >
        >>Hi. I have never had a laptop with only external DVD
        >>as an input
        >>device before now. How can I access the DVD drive
        >>from the command
        >>prompt so that I may install the Operating System?
        >>The usual dir
        >>d:\, etc. don't recognize the DVD drive and there is
        >>no other means
        >>of loading software onto the machine. help!
        >>
        >>Thanks,
        >>Paul
        >>

        > =====
        >
        > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
        > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
        > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
        > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
        > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."
        >
        > - Tool, "Third Eye"

        ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy

        .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

        gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E