Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 8500 and Debian

  • Paul Gratz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
      You probably want to spend some time doing searching in this group as this has come up a couple times before.  I have one and in short, yes you can get it working.  The only major outstanding issue after about 20 kernel recompiles is ACPI is still somewhat messed up (and APM does not exist for this one).  The Ethernet works, both video cards are workable, PCMCIA works, it is possible to get UDMA modes on the HD, etc.

      It will, however, take some effort to get all of these things going right now, stock kernels do not have the right set of patches/drivers for all of this....
      Paul

      On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 07:14, Vincent wrote:
      Hello,

      I'am new to this group.

      I plan to buy a Dell i8500 notebook. But I want to know whether it is
      possible to install Linux (Debian 3) on it without any problem (I have
      heard of some problems with Broadcom NIC chipset, and ACPI. I must be
      _sure_ that it will work).

      Have you got any links or information (maybe your personal experience)
      on how to do that ? I have tried linux-laptop.net but the 8500 has only
      2 links, and nothing about Debian...  :-(

      Thank you in advance.

      (PS: sorry for my English, I'am French.)

      FREE Cell Phones with up to $400 Cash Back!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/_bBUKB/vYxFAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM