I4150 Time/screenblank problems solved!

  • n8gray
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3 1:51 AM
      I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
      fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
      BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
      problem has been solved!

      To see the problem, type the following at a bash prompt:
      while /bin/true; do cat /proc/apm; done

      With BIOS A05 you would see the system clock grind to a
      fraction of its normal speed, but with A06 I see no change
      whatsoever. With A05 if you were using the ALSA sound drivers
      you would get nasty audio corruption, but with A06 they work
      perfectly. I'm *really* excited about the latter problem being
      solved since one of my desires when buying this machine was to
      have an audio workstation, and until now it's been worthless for
      that purpose.

      As if that wasn't enough, the latest XFree86 radeon driver (binary
      drivers available at www.xfree86.com/~alanh/) has a fix for the
      annoying problem where using Fn+D to blank the screen caused
      corruption when the screen was restored. The only way to
      recover from this corruption was to go to console: Alt+F1, Fn+D,
      <any key>, Alt+F7. Now it Just Works!

      What a fantastic day it's been. If you have any replies please CC
      me since I don't have delivery enabled for this list.

      Cheers,
      -n8
    • Jon Dreyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4 7:41 AM
        Thank you! Thank you! Both tricks worked perfectly:

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "n8gray" <n8gray@c...> wrote:
        > I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
        > fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
        > BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
        > problem has been solved!

        Worked for me!

        > As if that wasn't enough, the latest XFree86 radeon driver (binary
        > drivers available at www.xfree86.com/~alanh/) has a fix for the
        > annoying problem where using Fn+D to blank the screen caused
        > corruption when the screen was restored.

        Also worked for me. But the correct url is:

        http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/

        Xfree86.com appears to be some cybersquatter.

        Thanks again!

        Jon Dreyer

        http://www.pobox.com/~jdreyer/i4150/
      • Dan Christensen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4 9:25 AM
          "n8gray" <n8gray@...> writes:

          > I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
          > fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
          > BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
          > problem has been solved!

          Looks like this is true. However, after upgrading from A03 to A06,
          software suspend (swsusp) doesn't resume properly for me. The machine
          just reboots during the "copying pages" step. Can anyone else confirm
          this problem?

          > As if that wasn't enough, the latest XFree86 radeon driver (binary
          > drivers available at www.xfree86.com/~alanh/) has a fix for the
          > annoying problem where using Fn+D to blank the screen caused
          > corruption when the screen was restored.

          As someone else also pointed out, the correct URL is:

          http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/

          And, for the record, I tried these binaries on my Debian system with
          X 4.2.1, and they didn't work.

          Dan
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4 9:30 AM
            Dan Christensen <jdc@...> writes:

            > ... after upgrading from A03 to A06,
            > software suspend (swsusp) doesn't resume properly for me. The machine
            > just reboots during the "copying pages" step. Can anyone else confirm
            > this problem?

            Actually, this has nothing to do with the BIOS upgrade. swsusp never
            works for me with DRI loaded, and I had accidentally turned it on
            while doing a minor upgrade of X. So, for me, A06 has caused no
            problems, and seems to help with the time lossage problem.

            Next I'll try X 4.3 and see how that goes.

            Dan
          • Nathaniel Gray
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4 10:58 AM
              On Wednesday 04 June 2003 09:25 am, Dan Christensen wrote:
              > "n8gray" <n8gray@...> writes:
              > > I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
              > > fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
              > > BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
              > > problem has been solved!
              >
              > Looks like this is true. However, after upgrading from A03 to A06,
              > software suspend (swsusp) doesn't resume properly for me. The
              > machine just reboots during the "copying pages" step. Can anyone
              > else confirm this problem?

              I'm not sure about software suspend, but regular BIOS suspend has always
              worked fine for me.

              > > As if that wasn't enough, the latest XFree86 radeon driver (binary
              > > drivers available at www.xfree86.com/~alanh/) has a fix for the
              > > annoying problem where using Fn+D to blank the screen caused
              > > corruption when the screen was restored.
              >
              > As someone else also pointed out, the correct URL is:
              >
              > http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh/

              Oops. Always double-check your URLs...

              > And, for the record, I tried these binaries on my Debian system with
              > X 4.2.1, and they didn't work.

              Yes, they are for X 4.3, so I imagine they wouldn't work on a 4.2.x
              install. You should really try to upgrade to 4.3 + CVS drivers, it's
              *very* much worth the hassle for I4150 users. The radeon driver has
              made a lot of progress since 4.2. It's not hard if you use the
              binaries (for a full X install, not just the drivers) available on
              www.xfree86.ORG. :-) Just make sure to back up your /usr/X11R6 and
              /etc/X11 directories and you can easily restore your old install if the
              new one doesn't please you.

              Cheers,
              -n8

              --
              >>>-- Nathaniel Gray -- Caltech Computer Science ------>
              >>>-- Mojave Project -- http://mojave.cs.caltech.edu -->
            • Kevin
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5 12:41 PM
                This appears to be fixed on the I8000 as well with BIOS A22.

                Cheers,

                Kevin

                wrote:
                > I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
                > fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
                > BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
                > problem has been solved!
                >
                > To see the problem, type the following at a bash prompt:
                > while /bin/true; do cat /proc/apm; done
                >
                > With BIOS A05 you would see the system clock grind to a
                > fraction of its normal speed, but with A06 I see no change
                > whatsoever.
              • Jim Diamond
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 10 6:40 AM
                  On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 07:41:01PM -0000, Kevin wrote:
                  > This appears to be fixed on the I8000 as well with BIOS A22.

                  > Cheers,

                  > Kevin

                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "n8gray" <n8gray@c...>
                  > wrote:
                  >> I have exciting news for anybody with an I4150 who's been getting
                  >> fed up with the annoying APM vs. clock problems. I just installed
                  >> BIOS A06 and it looks like there's a very good chance the
                  >> problem has been solved!

                  Has anyone else on this list installed A22? I'm running something
                  like A07 on my I8K. I've avoided upgrading for a long time, because
                  Way Back When (when I8K's were the current model), I recall a number
                  of people reporting that the BIOS upgrades broke things.

                  Presumably, Kevin is happy with A22, but if anyone else can give a
                  report, I'd appreciate it.

                  Cheers.

                  Jim

                  P.S. Why is it so hard for Dell to get this right? :-(
                • Kevin McKinley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 10 6:49 AM
                    On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:40:58 -0300
                    Jim Diamond <zsd@...> wrote:

                    > Has anyone else on this list installed A22? I'm running something
                    > like A07 on my I8K. I've avoided upgrading for a long time, because
                    > Way Back When (when I8K's were the current model), I recall a number
                    > of people reporting that the BIOS upgrades broke things.
                    >
                    > Presumably, Kevin is happy with A22, but if anyone else can give a
                    > report, I'd appreciate it.

                    I can't report on A22, but I've run A17 for more than a year now with no
                    problems.

                    [different] Kevin