Dell Latitude CSX DVD - can't access DVD drive

  • pabloron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi. I have never had a laptop with only external DVD as an input
      device before now. How can I access the DVD drive from the command
      prompt so that I may install the Operating System? The usual dir
      d:\, etc. don't recognize the DVD drive and there is no other means
      of loading software onto the machine. help!

      Thanks,
      Paul
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
        Enter the BIOS, there should be an option to boot from
        CD. Unless you're using a really old CD to do install
        from it probably will boot.

        What are you trying to install? Please tell me it
        isn't windows...

        --- pabloron <pabloron@...> wrote:
        > Hi. I have never had a laptop with only external DVD
        > as an input
        > device before now. How can I access the DVD drive
        > from the command
        > prompt so that I may install the Operating System?
        > The usual dir
        > d:\, etc. don't recognize the DVD drive and there is
        > no other means
        > of loading software onto the machine. help!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Paul

        =====

        "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
        I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
        Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
        I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
        Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

        - Tool, "Third Eye"

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • iriXx
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2003
          even my ancient old Toshiba Satellite pentium 90mhz can boot from its
          external CD.... im sure it should work ok...

          W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
          > Enter the BIOS, there should be an option to boot from
          > CD. Unless you're using a really old CD to do install
          > from it probably will boot.
          >
          > What are you trying to install? Please tell me it
          > isn't windows...
          >
          > --- pabloron <pabloron@...> wrote:
          >
          >>Hi. I have never had a laptop with only external DVD
          >>as an input
          >>device before now. How can I access the DVD drive
          >>from the command
          >>prompt so that I may install the Operating System?
          >>The usual dir
          >>d:\, etc. don't recognize the DVD drive and there is
          >>no other means
          >>of loading software onto the machine. help!
          >>
          >>Thanks,
          >>Paul
          >>

          > =====
          >
          > "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
          > I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
          > Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
          > I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
          > Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."
          >
          > - Tool, "Third Eye"

          ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy

          .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

          gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E