Problem with 8500

  • nopoointheloo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2 2:26 PM
      Just installing mandrake 9.1 on my new dell 8500
      with a monitor size of 1680 x 1050 + nvidia graphics card
      and when it comes to
      configuring my monitor it said it isnt configured and
      when i try and pick a standard monitor of
      1600 x 1000 the screen goes totally messed up
      and i can access the wizard anymore and have to start the installation
      again.Can i just install without it configured and
      then just get someone elses x-config file and
      copy it?
      Would this work and if so could someone provide me with this file.
      Thanks a lot.
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2 2:50 PM
        There shouldn't be anything wrong with setting up a
        standard 800x600 screen, I would imagine. Other users
        probably have a proper config file for it you can use
        after everything else is set up.

        --- nopoointheloo <nopoointheloo@...> wrote:
        > Just installing mandrake 9.1 on my new dell 8500
        > with a monitor size of 1680 x 1050 + nvidia graphics
        > card
        > and when it comes to
        > configuring my monitor it said it isnt configured
        > and
        > when i try and pick a standard monitor of
        > 1600 x 1000 the screen goes totally messed up
        > and i can access the wizard anymore and have to
        > start the installation
        > again.Can i just install without it configured and
        > then just get someone elses x-config file and
        > copy it?
        > Would this work and if so could someone provide me
        > with this file.
        > Thanks a lot.

        =====

        "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
        I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
        Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
        I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
        Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

        - Tool, "Third Eye"

        http://calendar.yahoo.com
      • Paul Gratz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2 4:02 PM
          Actually I found that if you don't put any mode lines in it you will get the max resolution by default through auto-detection.  If that does not work let me know and I'll send you my cfg file.
          Paul

          On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 16:26, nopoointheloo wrote:
          Just installing mandrake 9.1 on my new dell 8500
          with a monitor size of 1680 x 1050 + nvidia graphics card
           and when it comes to
          configuring my monitor it said it isnt configured and
          when i try and pick a standard monitor of
          1600 x 1000 the screen goes totally messed up
          and i can access the wizard anymore and have to start the installation
          again.Can i just install without it configured and
          then just get someone elses x-config file and
          copy it?
          Would this work and if so could someone provide me with this file.
          Thanks a lot.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/s5T0lB/TM

        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 9:32 AM
            Oh, see, I wouldn't know about mdk. I'm one of those
            hard-core psychos who likes setting it all up
            automatically :P

            =====