Gentoo & 8500

  • Justin Ellison
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi all,

      In the process of getting Gentoo 1.4rc4 up and running on my brand new
      8500. I've got a lot of things working, but the ACPI stuff is a little
      trickier. Using this excellent page as a reference:
      http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/G.Wilford/Inspiron8500/ it looks
      like things can work, but I don't know which kernel to use.
      I love the optimizations of the gentoo-sources kernel, but the ACPI in
      it is from way back. The ac-sources kernel works better, but still not
      perfectly (the above author gets CPU temp and battery info - I don't).
      Ideally, I'd like to patch the gentoo-sources kernel with updated ACPI
      stuff. I have no idea how to apply a newer version of a patch to an
      already-patched kernel - any tips?

      --
      Justin Ellison <justin@...>
    • Justin Ellison
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2003
        Replying to my own message:

        Either myself (I don't remember doing it) or Dell flashed BIOS version
        A02 to my 8500. I was having a hell of a time getting ACPI working
        correctly, using the fixed dsdt from the site below, as well as rolling
        my own. Evidently (though not in the changelog of the BIOS), Dell
        tweaked some ACPI in the A02 BIOS - when I rolled back to A01, all
        worked as it should.

        My programming knowledge is basic Perl and PHP, if someone wants to hack
        at the dsdt.dsl for A02, let me know and I'll send it.

        Justin