CPU Heat and auto shutdown?

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Does anyone know if these laptops have some sort of
      heat sensor that tells the machine to shut down if
      it's too hot? I have an i8200... one day I thought I'd
      told it to suspend, but it didn't and instead of
      checking I just closed it and put it in its case. I
      pulled it out apprximately three hours later, fans
      were spinning like crazy and the machine was almost
      too hot to even touch from the lack of any air
      circulation or dissapation.

      So I started wondering if the machine knows to turn
      itself off when it hits a certain temperature, either
      in the BIOS or elsewhere. If it doesn't have this
      functionality, I'm wondering how hard it would be to
      code a daemon which periodically polls CPU temp (the
      i8k entry in /proc displays this as the fourth item,
      right?) and shuts down if it hits a certain
      temperature for a given number of polls.

      Input, anyone? I don't want to have another mistake
      like this and actually end up damaging my machine
      because of heat, and if the BIOS does shut the machine
      down I'd prefer to have something software-wise to do
      at least a more graceful shutdown.

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://calendar.yahoo.com