Re: [linux-dell-laptops] CD/DVD strangeness

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
      Call Dell. This is one instance where telling them you
      use Linux and it doesn't work under that either might
      be helpful -- I know it's been helpful for me, one
      time when I had something replaced.

      "I want you to check the software settings for
      this..."
      "My machine dual-boots into Linux, and it doesn't work
      there either. It's hardware."

      Use it as a last resort, otherwise don't tell them you
      use Linux. ;P

      --- iriXx <dev_null@...> wrote:
      > hi all,
      >
      > i've had some strange behaviour from my CPx over the
      > last couple of weeks...
      > it stopped reading CDs. it will read DVDs fine
      > though - data and movie...!
      > this has only happened since i started hotswapping
      > the DVD and floppy bays...
      > it happens in Windows as well so its a hardware or
      > BIOS problem rather than
      > just mandrake's usual quirkiness.....
      >
      > thx
      >
      > m~
      >
      > --
      > |\ _,,,---,,_
      > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy
      > |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
      > '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL
      >

      > .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk
      > .::.
      >
      > gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://calendar.yahoo.com