Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Techsupport + Re: Inspiron 8200. LCD failure / video card failure

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2003
      One thing that happened to me once was that the
      technicians did not contact me -- whether they had the
      wrong information for my phone number or what, I don't
      know. But I found out that the techs can only have a
      part for three days before they need to send it back
      out.

      Moral of the story is call Dell if you've been waiting
      more than five days. Chances are the replacement has
      been returned to Dell and nobody ever contacted you.

      that's one thing that really pisses me off -- Dell
      doesn't contact you when they fsck something up.

      --- William Hooper <whooperhsd2@...> wrote:

      > Sudhakar said:
      > >

      > > I had written about failed LCD earlier. thanks for
      > the input on this
      > > group. The tips did not work.
      > >

      > > Dell agreed to replace the LCD on 20th May. Today
      > is 30th May, and so
      > > far they have not done anything about it! I have
      > the next day on site
      > > warranty. I complained to them about this sloppy
      > service. I managed
      > > to extract $100 from them today:-)
      > >
      > > So, Dell tech support is really sloppy when it
      > comes to replacing
      > > parts etc. I decided that the next machine I am
      > going to buy is an
      > > IBM machine. Now, what do people think of IBM
      > tech support etc?
      > > Also, what has been your experience with dell
      > next-day onsite
      > > warranty? Dell techsupport?
      > >
      > > Sudhakar.
      >
      > Actually I've had pretty good luck with Dell's
      > Business tech support (no
      > experience with the home user tech support). The
      > hold up might be the
      > company they contract to do the actual on-site work
      > (which in your case
      > Dell is probably upset with now).
      >
      > I believe in my neck of the woods that IBM and Dell
      > use the same techs to
      > do on-site work (don't quote me on that).
      >
      > --
      > William Hooper

      =====

      "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
      I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
      Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
      I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
      Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

      - Tool, "Third Eye"

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • Sudhakar
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 17, 2003
        Dell finally fixed my laptop after 25 days! I reported to them on
        20th may 2003 and they fixed the machine on 17th June 2003. So much
        for next day on site warranty!

        Yeah, after changing the LCD, the machine as usual rocks.

        Sudhakar.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "W.K. Vladmir Ward"

      • Thomas Deutsch
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 17, 2003
          > Dell finally fixed my laptop after 25 days! I reported to them on
          > 20th may 2003 and they fixed the machine on 17th June 2003. So much
          > for next day on site warranty!
          >
          > Yeah, after changing the LCD, the machine as usual rocks.

          Here in Switerland, the same problem. Since 1th June 2003, Dell and I do
          mailing daily, and my Inspiron is broken since this Time...

          --
          ,________________________________________________________
          |\'-._( / |
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 17, 2003
            > > Dell finally fixed my laptop after 25 days! I reported to them on
            > > 20th may 2003 and they fixed the machine on 17th June 2003. So much
            > > for next day on site warranty!
            > >
            > > Yeah, after changing the LCD, the machine as usual rocks.
            >
            > Here in Switerland, the same problem. Since 1th June 2003, Dell and I do
            > mailing daily, and my Inspiron is broken since this Time...

            Those idiots dont even respond to my emails! I sent them 3 emails and
            they did not respond to even one of them.

            BTW, the person who came to my place today is an Unisys guy. They service
            the stuff for Dell, Gateway, NEC and HP. He told me that Dell usually
            responds better to these kinda problems. Not that I belive him.

            Sudhakar

            > --
            > ,________________________________________________________
            > |\'-._( / |
            > | \ .'-._\ Thomas Deutsch ICQ: 83960670 , ,|
            > |-.\' .-; http://www.tdeutsch.ch/ .'\`-' |
            > | \ .' ( _.' \ |
            > |.--.\' _) "It's my little place ;-; \._|
            > | ` _\(_)/_ on the web.." \ `'-,_,-'\ |
            > jgs____ /(O)\ ______________________________/____)_`-._\|

            Sudhakar.

            Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
            Graduate Student, Princeton University
            Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
            +1 609 258 1798
            http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
          • Thomas Deutsch
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 17, 2003
              > > > Dell finally fixed my laptop after 25 days! I reported to them on
              > > > 20th may 2003 and they fixed the machine on 17th June 2003. So much
              > > > for next day on site warranty!
              > > >
              > > > Yeah, after changing the LCD, the machine as usual rocks.
              > >
              > > Here in Switerland, the same problem. Since 1th June 2003, Dell and I do
              > > mailing daily, and my Inspiron is broken since this Time...
              >
              > Those idiots dont even respond to my emails! I sent them 3 emails and
              > they did not respond to even one of them.
              >
              > BTW, the person who came to my place today is an Unisys guy. They service
              > the stuff for Dell, Gateway, NEC and HP. He told me that Dell usually
              > responds better to these kinda problems. Not that I belive him.

              Two or three months ago, my DVD/CDRW-Combo-Drive is broken. I've make a phone
              to Dell and they send a new one, but not a dell guy is comming. Only a man
              from a delivery service, and I must changing the drive.

              --