HELP! Keyboard keeps freezing

  • jonanscher
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2003
      i just recently moved to linux and enountered a major problem. the
      keyboard froze after a few minutes of working with it. i have read
      several reports of similar things happening, hoqwever, have heard no
      definative answer to it. Upon shutting the computer down and
      restarting it, keyboard function returns, however, i lose it fairly
      quickly. we thought it might be an overheating program, perhaps cause
      by a failure of the fan to operate properly under linux, but it did
      not seem overheated at all. Another website suggested installing GPM,
      some mouse software, but the installation requires libtinfo.so.5 which
      is extremely rare and i have not been able to find. what can i do?
    • Andy Farlie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
        You are going to need to provide a little more info than that.

        Distribution and version: (RedHat 9, ...)
        Kernel: 2.4. (run uname -r)
        Hardware: (Del Inspiron 8200,...)
        keyboard: (laptop keyboard, separate USB keyboard, docking station ...)

        Andy

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2003
          Distribution and version: RedHat 9
          Kernel: 2.4.20-13.9
          Hardware: Dell Inspiron 5000e, 700Mhz, 512 SDRAM
          keyboard: laptop keyboard, no docking station

          anything else?

          thanx,
          Jon