recognizing as a laptop

  • Abhay Pradhan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31 10:44 AM
      Hi
      I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop which has a desktop pentium 4
      processor.
      I installed Redhat 9 on it.

      The problem is that even when I take out the AC power supply, RH still
      thinks that the power is on and that there is no battery.
      maybe because, its not recognized this computer as a laptop?

      when i do
      $> apm -m
      AC on-line, no system battery

      i tried doing

      $> apm -S

      and the screen went blank. i had to reboot to get it to start again.

      any suggestions?
      i'm new to the power saving and apm aspects of linux so could someone
      please point out resources where I can learn about this?

      Regards
      abhay
    • Jonathan Steinert
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
        Does dmesg show anything related to APM, and have you tried ACPI yet?

        --hachi

        Abhay Pradhan wrote:
        > Hi
        > I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop which has a desktop pentium 4
        > processor.
        > I installed Redhat 9 on it.
        >
        > The problem is that even when I take out the AC power supply, RH still
        > thinks that the power is on and that there is no battery.
        > maybe because, its not recognized this computer as a laptop?
        >
        > when i do
        > $> apm -m
        > AC on-line, no system battery
        >
        > i tried doing
        >
        > $> apm -S
        >
        > and the screen went blank. i had to reboot to get it to start again.
        >
        > any suggestions?
        > i'm new to the power saving and apm aspects of linux so could someone
        > please point out resources where I can learn about this?
        >
        > Regards
        > abhay
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
          Sorry, my i8200 worked with apm from the start, so I
          can't help on that.

          On the apm -S though, I do have a question. Is that
          standby or suspend? I use --suspend as an option
          because it's easier to remember and harder to screw
          up.

          When coming back from that though I need to hit the
          power button to bring the machine back online. Have
          you tried that, or have you just rebooted?

          --- Abhay Pradhan <pradhan@...> wrote:
          > Hi
          > I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop which has
          > a desktop pentium 4
          > processor.
          > I installed Redhat 9 on it.
          >
          > The problem is that even when I take out the AC
          > power supply, RH still
          > thinks that the power is on and that there is no
          > battery.
          > maybe because, its not recognized this computer as a
          > laptop?
          >
          > when i do
          > $> apm -m
          > AC on-line, no system battery
          >
          > i tried doing
          >
          > $> apm -S
          >
          > and the screen went blank. i had to reboot to get it
          > to start again.
          >
          > any suggestions?
          > i'm new to the power saving and apm aspects of linux
          > so could someone
          > please point out resources where I can learn about
          > this?
          >
          > Regards
          > abhay

          =====

          "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
          I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
          Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
          I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
          Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

          - Tool, "Third Eye"

          http://calendar.yahoo.com
        • Jim Richardson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
            Looking at getting a midrange Dell server for heavy duty LAMP server. I
            have, and am happy with, an Inspiron 8100 for a laptop, but have no
            experience with their servers. Any suggestions as to which ones to get ?
            or avoid? :) Looking to get a ~2GHz/2GB RAM machine, with good
            throughput. The current machine is straining at the edges, it's a
            1GHz/1GB RAM machine, about 18Mo old. (Whitebox) Also, is it worth going
            for the SCSI RAID on these machines? or does SCSI offer little advantage
            in this case? Thanks for any input.

            Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
              We have five PowerEdge servers, two of them are dual
              550 Xeons and three are newer Single Xeon (1GHz I
              think). They've been rather cooperative, and they look
              pretty nice too :)

              About the SCSI RAID, I'm not positive. As far as I
              know the only RAID we're doing is software controlled,
              to my dismay. I can't offer any input, though from
              what I know even SCSI gains more performance when
              RAIDed (Such as RAID-1 or -5). The main bottleneck is
              usually the network connection, but if the machine is
              hitting the drives hard with comparably little on the
              network side you would probably want RAID.
              Covnversely, if the network is getting hit hard, but
              the disks are being utilized minimally, it would
              probably be better to not worry about RAID, other than
              a mirror for data or system drives.

              Hope that helps.

              =====

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2003
                On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 02:07:21PM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                > We have five PowerEdge servers, two of them are dual
                > 550 Xeons and three are newer Single Xeon (1GHz I
                > think). They've been rather cooperative, and they look
                > pretty nice too :)
                >
                > About the SCSI RAID, I'm not positive. As far as I
                > know the only RAID we're doing is software controlled,
                > to my dismay. I can't offer any input, though from
                > what I know even SCSI gains more performance when
                > RAIDed (Such as RAID-1 or -5). The main bottleneck is
                > usually the network connection, but if the machine is
                > hitting the drives hard with comparably little on the
                > network side you would probably want RAID.
                > Covnversely, if the network is getting hit hard, but
                > the disks are being utilized minimally, it would
                > probably be better to not worry about RAID, other than
                > a mirror for data or system drives.
                >
                > Hope that helps.

                Network isn't a problem here, it's on a DS-3 pipe, and can take as much
                as it wants :) The limitation we see with the existing servers, is RAM,
                1GB is barely enough, and 1.5GB is OK. So the new machine gets 2GB or
                3GB, Dell's prices are ok. (except for the cost of RAM, YIPE!) and I
                have had good reuslts with my laptop.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2003
                  Yes, Dell charges absurd ammounts for their RAM. We
                  bought something like 10 256 SDRAM chips, paid at
                  least 1.5x market value for them just because they're
                  Dell certified. I suppose you need to get it though,
                  since the techs probably won't help you out if you
                  have non-Dell parts.

                  I would recommend a RAID, and despite the fact that
                  people are using IDE a lot, I would stick with SCSI.
                  It's inherently better for RAID as you can have more
                  than two devices on a channel. Also, since SCSI is
                  faster (at least in RPM, I don't know if the transfer
                  speeds are still noticeably better than IDE) you'll
                  generally get better performance.

                  I would personally go with a RAID, and set it up with
                  a mirrored system volume and RAID-5 data volume(s).
                  That seems to be pretty effective most times, but
                  depending on your needs you may need to change it.

                  Suddenly I'm in a SCSI mood. Anyone want to make some
                  donations? :)

                  =====

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                    On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:15:25AM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                    > Yes, Dell charges absurd ammounts for their RAM. We
                    > bought something like 10 256 SDRAM chips, paid at
                    > least 1.5x market value for them just because they're
                    > Dell certified. I suppose you need to get it though,
                    > since the techs probably won't help you out if you
                    > have non-Dell parts.
                    >
                    > I would recommend a RAID, and despite the fact that
                    > people are using IDE a lot, I would stick with SCSI.
                    > It's inherently better for RAID as you can have more
                    > than two devices on a channel. Also, since SCSI is
                    > faster (at least in RPM, I don't know if the transfer
                    > speeds are still noticeably better than IDE) you'll
                    > generally get better performance.
                    >
                    > I would personally go with a RAID, and set it up with
                    > a mirrored system volume and RAID-5 data volume(s).
                    > That seems to be pretty effective most times, but
                    > depending on your needs you may need to change it.
                    >
                    > Suddenly I'm in a SCSI mood. Anyone want to make some
                    > donations? :)

                    Looking at Dell's website, the PowerEdge 1600SC, is within
                    what we are looking at spending, and it offers SCSI, but
                    the blurb on the "configure" page, says that the SCSI
                    card isn't suitable for RAID. Adaptec 39160. There's an onboard
                    SCSI controller also, but that is listed as "non RAID"
                    They offer a PERC4-SC (at twice the $$ of the Adaptec) for RAID,
                    any idea if that's any good? Linux compat is of course, of prime
                    importance.

                    Anyway, the client wants a "brand name" machine for
                    service peace of mind, So that's what he gets.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                      IIRC Dell uses mostly PERC-based controllers for SCSI
                      RAID. Not positive about Linux compatability, but I've
                      never really heard anything bad about ther PERC
                      controllers.

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2003
                        this is what dmesg shows
                        and nope, i havent tried acpi.

                        $>dmesg |grep apm
                        apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)

                        also, the apm daemon is running.
                        root 661 1 0 19:13 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/apmd -p 10 -w 5 -W -P /etc/sysconfig/apm-scripts/apmscript

                        now, the interesting part is that when i do an lsmod apm does not show
                        up as a module.
                        modprobe says, cannot locate module apm.
                        when i try and do

                        $>insmod /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
                        it says cannot find the version the module was compiled for..

                        so i cant insert it too..
                        confused..totally confused.

                        abhay

                        On Mon Jun 02, 2003 at 11:56:35AM -0500, Jonathan Steinert wrote:
                        > Does dmesg show anything related to APM, and have you tried ACPI yet?
                        >
                        > --hachi
                        >
                        > Abhay Pradhan wrote:
                        > > Hi
                        > > I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop which has a desktop pentium 4
                        > > processor.
                        > > I installed Redhat 9 on it.
                        > >
                        > > The problem is that even when I take out the AC power supply, RH still
                        > > thinks that the power is on and that there is no battery.
                        > > maybe because, its not recognized this computer as a laptop?
                        > >
                        > > when i do
                        > > $> apm -m
                        > > AC on-line, no system battery
                        > >
                        > > i tried doing
                        > >
                        > > $> apm -S
                        > >
                        > > and the screen went blank. i had to reboot to get it to start again.
                        > >
                        > > any suggestions?
                        > > i'm new to the power saving and apm aspects of linux so could someone
                        > > please point out resources where I can learn about this?
                        > >
                        > > Regards
                        > > abhay

                      • Jim Richardson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2003
                          On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:58:10AM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                          > IIRC Dell uses mostly PERC-based controllers for SCSI
                          > RAID. Not positive about Linux compatability, but I've
                          > never really heard anything bad about ther PERC
                          > controllers.

                          Well, they're advertised on their Linux boxes, so I hope they
                          work on Linux :) Some googling suggests that the support is there.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 5, 2003
                            Yeah, but while Dell advertises Linux for their servers, god help you if you put it on anything else of theirs and try to get tech support. Bastards.

                            Jim Richardson <warlock@...> wrote:
                            On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 10:58:10AM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                            > IIRC Dell uses mostly PERC-based controllers for SCSI
                            > RAID. Not positive about Linux compatability, but I've
                            > never really heard anything bad about ther PERC
                            > controllers.

                            Well, they're advertised on their Linux boxes, so I hope they
                            work on Linux :) Some googling suggests that the support is there.

                            > > Looking at Dell's website, the PowerEdge 1600SC, is within what we
                            > > are looking at spending, and it offers SCSI, but the blurb on the
                            > > "configure" page, says that the SCSI card isn't suitable for RAID.
                            > > Adaptec 39160. There's an onboard SCSI controller also, but that is
                            > > listed as "non RAID" They offer a PERC4-SC (at twice the $$ of the
                            > > Adaptec) for RAID, any idea if that's any good? Linux compat is of
                            > > course, of prime importance.
                            > >

                            > > Anyway, the client wants a "brand name" machine for
                            > > service peace of mind, So that's what he gets.

                            --
                            Jim Richardson         http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock

                            Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()

                            "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
                            I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
                            Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
                            I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
                            Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

                            - Tool, "Third Eye"

                            Do you Yahoo!?
                          • Jim Richardson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 5, 2003
                              On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:34:20AM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                              > Yeah, but while Dell advertises Linux for their servers, god help you
                              > if you put it on anything else of theirs and try to get tech support.
                              > Bastards.

                              Well, I have it on the I81K, but I've never had to use their support yet
                              :)

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 5, 2003
                                On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:34:20AM -0700, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

                                > Yeah, but while Dell advertises Linux for their servers, god help you
                                > if you put it on anything else of theirs and try to get tech support.
                                > Bastards.

                                well, I have it on the I81K, but I haven't had to use their support yet
                                :)

                                Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()