CD/DVD strangeness

  • iriXx
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31 2:45 AM
      hi all,

      i've had some strange behaviour from my CPx over the last couple of weeks...
      it stopped reading CDs. it will read DVDs fine though - data and movie...!
      this has only happened since i started hotswapping the DVD and floppy bays...
      it happens in Windows as well so its a hardware or BIOS problem rather than
      just mandrake's usual quirkiness.....

      thx

      m~

      --
      |\ _,,,---,,_
      ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy
      |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
      '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL

      .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk .::.

      gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E
    • W.K. Vladmir Ward
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2003
        Call Dell. This is one instance where telling them you
        use Linux and it doesn't work under that either might
        be helpful -- I know it's been helpful for me, one
        time when I had something replaced.

        "I want you to check the software settings for
        this..."
        "My machine dual-boots into Linux, and it doesn't work
        there either. It's hardware."

        Use it as a last resort, otherwise don't tell them you
        use Linux. ;P

        --- iriXx <dev_null@...> wrote:
        > hi all,
        >
        > i've had some strange behaviour from my CPx over the
        > last couple of weeks...
        > it stopped reading CDs. it will read DVDs fine
        > though - data and movie...!
        > this has only happened since i started hotswapping
        > the DVD and floppy bays...
        > it happens in Windows as well so its a hardware or
        > BIOS problem rather than
        > just mandrake's usual quirkiness.....
        >
        > thx
        >
        > m~
        >
        > --
        > |\ _,,,---,,_
        > ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ HTTP 503: Too Busy
        > |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'
        > '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL
        >

        > .::. www.iriXx.org .::. www.copyleftmedia.org.uk
        > .::.
        >
        > gnupg key ID: AEB7A31E

        =====

        "Black as holes within a memory... blue as our new second sun...
        I stick my hand into the shadows to pull the pieces from the sand,
        Which I attempt to reassemble, to see just who I might have been.
        I do not recognize the vessel, but the eyes seem so familiar...
        Like phosphorescent desert buttons singing one familiar song..."

        - Tool, "Third Eye"

        http://calendar.yahoo.com